“Excellent Service and Location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis San Francisco

You added The St. Regis San Francisco to your Saves list
The St. Regis San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Third St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #13 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Lancaster, CA
“Excellent Service and Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

The St. Regis San Francisco was beautiful hotel that provided top notch service throughout the stay. The hotel is hidden away right off 3rd street and can easily be missed by its subtle sign and entrance. Entering the lobby takes you away from the city into a calm and soothing environment. Check in went smoothly and we were assigned a 'Premier Room.'

Upon entering the room, shades were closed and lights were dim, already arranged from a turn down service, even though it was around 4 PM. The room was spacious and immaculately clean. Many features of the room were controlled by a central touch screen computer that can operate the blinds, lights, alarm, and call the butler or room service.

The bathroom was huge with a deep bathtub and separate marble rain shower. There was also a television in the bathroom which was a very nice feature. Toiletries were Remede Spa products from the Spa in the hotel and at other St. Regis properties.

The hotel is also home to condos in the upper floors which shares the spa and gym facilities. Took a swim in the indoor infinity pool of the hotel. The pool had the clearest water I had ever seen before. Almost seemed like they filled the pool up with bottled water everyday. It was an incredible experience to swim and dry off looking out a window to Yerba Buena Gardens right across the street and the Metreon in the distance. This was an experience I had never thought I would go through.

Enjoyed cocktails at the bar in the evening. There was a large crowd in the lobby and bar area with a birthday party for some of the San Francisco Castro District Locals. However, the bar attendants were still able to provide our drinks without any problems at all.

Overall an excellent experience in the heart of San Francisco. Close to everything, while feeling completely removed from the business of the city. The St. Regis hotels definitely knows how to treat guests to a 5 star experience.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
Palm Springs, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Very "special" feeling for close to $500.00 USD, per night.
SPG a GREAT program..... NOT the St. Regis

Lobby:
Gas fireplace, smell overwhelming.

Check in;
NO Platinum amenity.
NO information on city sights and sounds
No SPG Platinum amenity
Platinum guests discouraged!
No late check out for Platinum members. Had to change plans because of that.
EXTRA charge for newspaper
Umbrella with Logo available...a great clue to all the undesirable bums/drug addict people out and about.

Room;
Dirty blanket......white dirt spots, on a very old blanket.
Broken drawer thus closet door didn't close.
No coffee maker
Had to ask for slippers, should have been in room
No iron and iron board
Sleep impossible with bright clock, general electrical control

Bathroom;
Tub hot water on opposite side of "normal" for USA
Bathroom toilet sliding door does NOT close tight
Sink set back so far you MUST be tall to use it with out getting water all over.

Maids;
will MOVE everything
turn down service, different each of our 3 nights, one with chocolate, another had to ask for and the third night late so I had to call down for service.
Maids CLOSE room door...no one can see what they are doing inside your room. A plus, NO for they could be going thru everything!

Hotel;
Overall.......... staff ONLY appears to want the business suit and 5 carat diamond..........people.
NO Jacuzzi available for two people of opposite sex. SMALL separate inside the spa, ONLY

Positive;
I had NOT paid costly rate per night, or I certainly would have gone elsewhere. Please see photos.

Would I suggest this hotel to anyone? Not even if it were complimentary for they do NOT make you feel special!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

Great weekend stay with the family. Fantastic pool, super restaurant and excellent room. No complaints

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Leixlip, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

The St Regis is my favourite hotel in San Francisco. The Rooms where 100% perfect and spotless. The staff were exceptionally helpful providing great information on car rental and restaurants. As we were attending a conference in the local conventions centre, this hotel was well placed for the 4 minute walk to the centre.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

The St. Regis San Francisco is a fabulous hotel. It has absolutely everything you could want. It has elegant decor, attentive service (excluding final check-out), great food, a spacious swimming pool, gorgeous rooms, a central location, and a tranquil atmosphere. The claims made in previous reviews about a poor location are false. The hotel is only half a block from the SFMOMA, across the street from the Yerba Buena Gardens, a fifteen minute walk to
The Embarcadero and the Ferry Building, and a five minute walk to Union Square Shopping.
The claims of street-noise are also mostly false. The only noise we could hear was the sound emergency sirens, which we only heard during the day.
Our first room was absolutely amazing. It was very spacious and well laid-out. It was very tastefully decorated in a scheme of creme, pale green, light blue, and light brown with chrome and wood accents. The beds were extremely comfortable and the art in the room was quite nice. The televisions were great and had many channels. The bathroom was ideal. It was enormous and had a large soaker bath, a stone tiled shower stall, and a separate lavatory. The vanity was very large with a nice sink and elegant fixtures. One of the other great features of the bathroom were the doors in front of the bathtub. They were nice because you could see out of the windows from the bath. From our room on the sixteenth floor, the view was very panoramic. We could see the Yerba Buena Gardens, the Bay Bridge, and many of the surrounding hills (as long as it is not incredibly foggy).
The service was also amazing. Almost every single experience we had with the staff was great. The housekeeping staff is fabulous and the butlers were great. Though, the some greatest of all the staff were the Concierges. They were all amazing. The greatest were Caroline and Mariah. They were extremely helpful. Caroline booked tour reservations for us to go to Sausalito, the Muir Woods, and Wine Country. None of their dinner recommendations disappointed. They always sent confirmations of our bookings to our room and also gave us walking directions to all the restaurants.
The pool at the St. Regis San Francisco is also great. It is very large and the space is very light, airy, and elegant.
The food at the hotel was also phenomenal. We ordered from private-dining several times and both the quality of the food and the service were consistently fabulous.
The only complaint was about the mysterious 21% "Service Charge" that was automatically added to each cheque. (We enquired about the charge over check-out and the employee at the desk rudely replied that "It is generally customary at four or five star hotels". If that is so, why have we not experienced a similar charge at the many other five star hotels we have stayed at!?!
Other than the latter experience, I would highly recommend the St. Regis San Francisco to anyone looking for an amazing San Francisco luxury hotel in a convenient location.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Sunnyvale, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

I stayed here over the weekend and my fiance and I were pretty disappointed. This is suppose to be a SPG Cat 6?! As a SPG Platinum member, I felt no sense of having status. Wasn't upgraded, but given top floor in 'deluxe room'. I asked about an upgrade, but they said this was it. I kinda doubt it because there were suites available. As for the platinum gift, and there was none. After, the person checked me in didn't give me any info on the property and I had to over-hear it from another guest checking in. This hotel is noisy! I could hear ppl partying on the streets below, while being on the top floor!

One thing, I don't like about this property is the stuck up ness of the check in staff. I think they prefer checking in ppl in suits and ties. After I mentioned that I was platinum, she was like oh you're platinum. The one thing I do like is calling the 'Butler' which is just like calling 'Guest Services'. haha.

The room is nice, but nothing that wows me. Oh and I got asked by the maid twice what time we're checking out. I said 4 PM, and they came back at 3:30 PM to ask the same question. Also, the concierge has no clue about what they are talking about. Being a local, I knew the stuff better than them.

I'm not sure I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Portland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Lovely rooms, chic contemporary design with push button lighting and blind controls. Bathrooms are the bomb with Remede amenities, though no mouthwash. No Platinum SPG amenity delivered to room. When I called and asked if they deliver one, they said depending on occupancy they'll take the time to bring some "sweets" to the room, but with high occupancy they do not. Requested a wine bucket, ice and four glasses. 25 minutes later as I was fuming, having called two more times for a total of three calls, it arrived. No suite upgrade for Platinum SPG. They claimed they did not have any Astor suites available, so I fired up the laptop and told them they might want to take a look at the online website. They upgraded us to a corner room, but not without some major verbage on my part and only on the second day of our stay. Let's be frank, if you have Platinum SPG guests it's probably not going to create a good image of the management of this hotel for the front desk employees to get caught lying about whether or not upgraded rooms are available. No Club floor. For those who think this hotel is the "best" in San Fran, I suggest they try out a competitor a block away or the two well known hotels on Nob Hill that do have Club Floors. The style is different on Nob Hill but no comparison in service.
We had friends come in to pick us up so they could see the room. Oops, first 30 minutes at the St Regis is a mere $10! The valet had been told they would be up and back down, but yet they did not leave the car up, even though they weren't busy. Down it went into the garage and we waited for 20 minutes while they retrieved the damn thing. I finally had a come to Jesus meeting with one of the guys and the car magically appeared. Overnight parking is a veritable bargain at $50. And if you're silly enough to use the hotel laundry service then you deserve the surprise you'll get with those charges. We dropped a pair of pants at a nearby cleaners for same day service with a wine spot from lunch rather than auctioning off our first born to pay for "rush" laundry with the hotel.
AME is a fine restaurant. I'm not sure where the Michelin star fits in, but it's quite good and as pricey as any of the high end restaurants it competes against, but not overly so. Breakfast on the other hand looks to be outrageously priced. No buffet, and the room service prices will really get your attention.
The gym is somewhat small and the weight equipment is packed in. Plenty of good cardio equipment and an attendant during daytime hours with cold water, towels and fruit. We've been in larger more spacious gyms, but there's nothing wrong with this.
No iron or ironing board in the rooms. You have to call the Butler or Front desk. Each time we called, regardless of the reason or occasion the phone rang off the hook before being answered. Lord knows why, but in a hotel that wants to charge $350 and up per night, at least staff the phones appropriately. Once we got through the iron was delivered within 5 minutes, but no ironing board, but she quickly retrieved it and brought that once she realized we wanted an ironing board also.
Acceptable flat screen tv plus one in the bathroom, which is really a very nice upscale touch, with a very good assortment of channels to select from. Also the robes and towels are excellent as one would expect in a 5 star hotel. Tub and shower.
Location is next to SF Museum of Modern Art, other than that, if you don't have reason to be south of Market, the location won't do much for you. Thankfully, San Francisco is compact so most places in the city are within a short cab ride.
Of the 5 star hotels I have stayed, this has the bones, but clearly I thought the service did not justify their pricing. If one has never experienced a hotel of this caliber I guess you could get all googly eyed at the glamour, the design, the lovely lobby/bar and the HOPPING bar scene on weekends with 20 and 30 year olds cocktailing until the wee hours, but it was lacking to us. Maybe the fact that we weren't even acknowledged as Platinum guests when checking in, no Platinum amenity, having to argue with the front desk or whether there were upgraded rooms, just left a weird feeling.
We would not stay again unless it were in the low $200's. It doesn't merit anymore in our opinion. Now if we were on an expense account and could care less what our boss thought, then maybe we'd do it, but I'd sooner blow the corporate card on the 5 star a block away or up on Nob Hill. Those are far more of a value than the St Regis.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The St. Regis San Francisco? Share your experiences!