“Really enjoyed the St. Regis” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis San Francisco

Save Saved
You added The St. Regis San Francisco to your Saves list
The St. Regis San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Third St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #12 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Houston, Texas
“Really enjoyed the St. Regis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Had a wonderful five night stay in a Metropolitan Suite. The suite offered plenty of room. We hosted a cocktail party for fifteen one evening and everyone had plenty of room to relax. The blackout shades in the room were very nice. I loved the control panel that operated the shades, lights, etc. I also loved the little sitting area in the hall between the bedroom and bathroom-it had the a perfect little area putting on makeup and fixing my hair. The hotel was in easy walking distance to all of the beautiful city. My friends' had a deluxe room and it did have a better shower-walk in with room for about six! I had other friends staying at the W and while their room was nice, the property was a bit vibrant for my taste. The staff at the St. Regis were helpful and kind. They made last minute dinner reservations for me and were very helpful in the planning of my cocktail party. I left behind items in a drawer and they FedExed them right out to me. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Liked — The location in the city and the amazing comfort of our suite.
  • Disliked — Checking Out
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

723 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2008

Stayed at the St. Regis many times and finally getting around to writing a review.

The hotel is excellent. The room is expansive and very modern. Would definitely recommend. Think this is better than Four Seasons San Fran (unless you value a nice gym - Four Seasons uses LA FItness).

The bathroom is outstanding. Remede products always a plus. The walk-in shower is spacious with a sunflower shower head that drops from the ceiling with great water pressure. The toilet is in a separate room. The tub is separated by doors that can be opened for full view of the bed. Fixtures all very modern. Love the clean brown tile. TV in bathroom is a nice touch.

The room itself is very large. The bed is very comfy. The closets are "hidden" as part of the wall in a beautiful whitewash wood. TV is flat panel on the wall. The room has a digital control center that controls everything from lights to phone - very cool. Wireless Internet access for a fee.

Gym is just OK. Nothing special, but I got a simple work out in no problem.

Look forward to visiting the St. Regis again during my next business trip to San Fran.

• Liked — Ultra comfortable room
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

My husband and I spent three days/two nights at this modern hotel located on 3rd Street and Mission in downtown San Francisco. Next door is the acclaimed Museum of Modern Art and a block away from the Moscone Center, Jewish Contemporary Museum and near the shopping arcade. My husband booked our reservations over the phone and reserved a corner suite to celebrate our anniversary and his birthday. Upon arrival, the doormen were friendly and assisted with our bags, and the front desk person was equally welcoming -- she even offered a late check out of 4pm (helped that we were Starwood members). The hotel does have a private car to take you to where your excursions or reservations are located, but this may take 15-30 minutes of waiting time since the car(s) is/are available on a first come/first serve basis (plan to call ahead at least 30 min. before you need to leave NOT when your reservation is). Also, the hotel car can not pick you up and bring you back to the hotel, so plan on alternate transportations. The room was on the corner along Mission, which we found to be very noisy with sirens and loud talking/yelling from the streets below. A good tip would be to request a corner room facing a non-busy thoroughfare. The furnishings and ammenities were comfy -- an L-shaped sofa in the livingroom, desk, king bed, electronic motorized window shades (both black out and sheer), flat screen consoles in livingroom and bathroom. The plus side: sleek and modern furnishings on a quite floor. The minus side: noisy corner location and not enough face towels. We had drinks at the bar downstairs and enjoyed the low-lit and holiday decorated ambiance -- a nice relaxing way to spend the time after a day of hustle and bustle!

• Liked — Great location near museums, shopping, convention center downtown San Francisco
  • Disliked — Corner location of room on noisy/busy street; need to replenish used/discarded towels
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2008

The St. Regis, San Francisco is a wonderful modern addition to San Francisco's hotel offerings. The staff is very friendly and the butlers go out of their way to help you enjoy your stay. On one occasion, the butler knew we were going out for a day of walking/shopping and we returned to find juices/waters/ my shoes filled with shoehorns and a very kind note from him waiting in our room. A great location and excellent furnishings/amenities. The touchscreen smart home automation in all the rooms is a nice touch, as are the wonderful spa-like bathrooms. Overall, a great stay and a wonderfully elegant and modern hotel. Having booked through the American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts Program, all the included amenities were great.

Room: We stayed in a Metropolitan Suite. The corner room was modern and spacious. Furnishings were great as were the views
A spacious dining table, entertainment system, and great sofa area all make this the perfect choice for a comfortable stay or to entertain and have pre-dinner drinks. The bathroom was superb and spa-like - only wish the shower had multiple showerheads/body sprays.

Restaurant: Breakfast at the Vitrine Restaurant was excellent and the china/linens are highly luxurious. Wish we tried the lobby-level Ame restaurant, but did not have a chance.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
CA and NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2008

My husband and I spent the first weekend in November at the St. Regis Hotel. We live in the East Bay, but have only been in the area for a year and have yet to see the sights. So we chose this weekend to catch Jim Gaffigan's performance and visit Alcatraz.

We checked in about 6pm. The people at the front desk were very nice, and we were escorted to our room by one of the men who works there. He smiled the whole time, and was a bit pushy when it came to carrying our bags. He would not take my husband's no as an answer. Once at our room, he showed us the electronic system they have set up, and finally left. I'm the kind of person who likes to be left alone to figure things out for myself, so I didn't really enjoy this part of the hotel stay.

The hotel room was beautiful. They have a deep soaking bathtub that can fit 2 people in it. The bathtub has doors next to it that open into the bedroom. This was kind of cool. There's also a t.v. in the bathroom. The only drawback about the bathroom was that the toilet and shower were cornered into their own little room, but the door that slides to close-off the these things from the rest of the bathroom leaves a little crack, so if I'm in the bedroom and the doors next to the tub are open, I can see my husband using the toilet. This disturbed him to no end, but it is easily solved by closing all of the bathroom doors. Also, on our first night, we decided to run a bath. The water was very dirty, which we deduced was from an incomplete washing of the tub. After we washed it with a facecloth, the tub was fine.

Another drawback was the electronic screen that controlled everything. When we used it to turn off all of the lights in the room, we would awake in the middle of the night to lights turning themselves on. So if you do stay here, turn off the lights manually. It's really annoying to wake up multiple times during the night to lights. This happened on both nights of our stay.

We ate breakfast at the Vitrine on Saturday. I got the french toast which was very good. My husband got eggs benedict. He didn't like the food, but that's more his fault than theirs. He had never had it before. Overall the service in the restaurant was good, and the food was very good.

The only thing I must complain about is the staff's disrespect for privacy. My husband and I have stayed in many hotels, fancy and not. We expect more from hotels that we pay more for, but unfortunately that is where we get the least. This hotel has an electronic "Do Not Disturb" and "Make Up Room". We value our privacy a lot, so for every hotel we stay at, the "Do Not Disturb" goes up as soon as we enter and comes down when we leave (it does not come off any time in between). For all of the other hotels we've stayed in with the exception of The Palace in NYC, our "Do Not Disturb" has been honored. However, it was completely disregarded. Before leaving for Alcatraz, I made sure the "Do Not Disturb" was on. When we got back a few hours later, it was off and our room had been cleaned. When we approached Ron at the front desk, he apologized "sincerely", said he would report the incident, and offered nothing. Once I got tired to the whole thing and left my husband to argue, Ron offered us free breakfast or a reimbursement for the night's stay we would not be using if we chose to leave at that moment. Needless to say, a $50 breakfast is nothing compared to the $580/night I was paying to stay there...

...We had to speak to 3 different people before they would finally offer us a free night (and that only because we had to ask for it). After Ron, we spoke to Craig (the non manager, I don't remember his last name). He spoke to some woman in charge of hospitality and offered us a 50% reduced rate if we stayed. Finally, we spoke to Craig Chang (the front desk manager) who offered us the night for free. He even sent us a hand-written note apologizing for everything, and left a note at the front desk confirming that the night was free. If it had not been for him, this hotel would receive a star of "1" and we would never go back.

I have not decided if we will ever stay here again. The room was great, and for the most part so was the service. Just make sure if you ever stay here and there is a problem that you ask for Craig Chang ASAP.

Some other good things about the hotel is they have a 24 hour pool and 24 hour room service. We unfortunately did not take advantage of either of these things, but it's nice to have them.

• Liked — Bathtub that opened into the bedroom
  • Disliked — The disregard for "Do Not Disturb"
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

The St Regis is a good location, directly next to the Moscone convention center and 5 minutes walk from Union Square and all the shopping.

The rooms are great - large, contemporary and well equipped, and the pool was good too and always emtpy.

The food in Ame on the ground floor was excellent. A great if expensive dinner with friends and good Asian Californian fusion cooking.

The bad - I was really surprised to find that generally, with the exception of the Ame restaurant, the staff could not really care less about guests and were quite aloof, just going through the process and almost as if they didn't want to be there, which was a shock in a property like this.

On business, I also object to the $15 for 24 hours internet access charge - why do properties do this ??

Finally, breakfast is also not worth it and too expensive. Its too weird for me having fusion cooking first thing in the morning. (This in the upstairs restaurant).

On balance though, location, room quality and comfort made it a good stay. For the price though, they need to sort the service / welcome aspect of the stay and throw in the internet.

• Liked — Spacious well appointed accomodation with all the frills.
  • Disliked — Service and extortion for internet access.
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bray, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

We had a very good stay recently here.The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from Union square by the way.
We had a high floored room with a very comfortable bed and with black out blinds and curtains that were controlled from a bedside panel.
You could also contact your butler from this device.
The eggs benedict at breakfast is something I highly recommend.You can also use the internet access at the business centre by simply putting in your name,room number and arrival date on the sign in page and theres no charge.Thats such a rarity these days.

We tried the taster menu in their restaurant one night and it was simply delicious.The service was very good.

• Liked — It's modern style.
  • Disliked — That darn fire station across the road .We could barely hear it,but if you are on a lower floor you might have a problem!
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The St. Regis San Francisco? Share your experiences!