“Nice and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis San Francisco

Save Saved
You added The St. Regis San Francisco to your Saves list
The St. Regis San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Third St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #14 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Was very pleased with this hotel. The noise level - was so quiet. The beds extremely comfortable. Great location. Very friendly staff and a pretty good location. Rooms were nicely decorated but air conditioning really didn't go on as we lowered the temp in the room. One downside was we ordered 4 drinks at last call in the hotel bar. 1 wine, 1 beer, 1 bloody mary and 1 champagne and the bill was $64.00 before tip - which I thought was a bit outrageous.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

722 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Stayed for two nights, great soaker tub and beautiful views. Housekeeping is exceptional they noticed that I moved the tissue box to the desk and they supplied an extra for me in the bathroom the next day and left the one on the desk. Very clean and beautifully decorated rooms.

Disappointing that the MOMA next door is shut down for # years for a reno, bad timing!

Breakfast was included since we are platinum but honestly it was a bland carb heavy continental breakfast which was priced over $22 on the menu but they would not let us substitute for another choice of similar value 9 probably because of profit on bread and fruit).

So unimpressed with breakfast that we tried to skip it the next day for points but they said the two nights couldn't be split, they offered to pack up two continental breakfasts for us, we agreed since we were on the way to the Botanical Gardens.

Waited for 15 mins in lobby and when it came, I swear it was in the largest, heaviest cumbersome shopping bag and everything was in so much disposable containers that I felt so guilty about the environmental waste. They even pack 2 jars of at least three types of jam. That's 6 jars of jam for two people. I ended up carrying around glass jam jars all day. This is where the 5 star luxury went awry.

Otherwise it is a beautiful property, well located with 5 star staff.

Room Tip: take points instead of breakfast
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
William F, Director of Sales at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I am pleased to hear that you had an exceptional stay and sincerely appreciate your comments regarding the continental breakfast offering and presentation. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your next visit, as we hope to welcome you back to the best address in the near future.
Lilian.wagner@stregis.com
Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I dont know about you but when I stay at a 5 star hotel, I want to be treated well and have a memorable stay. I have stayed at St Regis before but not in San Francisco. Well the staff at the St Regis San Francisco set the bar to the highest level. Everyone from the doorman to the wait staff and everyone in between treats you like you are the most important guest. A butler took us to our room and right then and there I knew this was a well trained staff. Our room was a suite and it was clean and well decorated. Everything about the room was perfect. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. They even took us to dinner each night in a Bentley. Great job St Regis. If there was a button for 10 stars, you would have gotten it.

Room Tip: Get a room that ends in 11
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
William F, Director of Sales at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
We would like to thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. I am delighted to hear that you had an exceptional stay with us and sincerely appreciate your kind words about our staff, décor, and amenities. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly prior to your next visit as we hope to welcome you back to the best address in the near future.
Lilian.wagner@stregis.com
VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This was one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. The room was large and clean and well decorated. All of the room controls (climate, lighting and shades/drapes) were controlled by a panel located by the bed. The hotel has a great staff and they were always asking if I needed anything or needed a question answered. The doorman were formally dressed and always on the ball. My butler was always attentive.
The hotel is within walking distance of Union Square and the local transit system. There are some restaurants in the area too as the food at the hotel is very expensive.
I do have some nits to pick. The first is not the fault of the hotel, but there is noisy construction going on right next door and they get cranked up early. Second as much as a room costs they wanted an exorbitant amount of money for in room internet access and they charged my to print my boarding pass (though I think they may have taken that off when I mentioned it).
Overall this is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel is beautiful, but in an unusual way for a St. Regis -- it's contemporary! The hotel lobby is airy, light-filled, and sumptuous, while also having an urban edge. It feels more like a boutique hotel than most St. Regis properties, which lends the property a certain intimacy.

The check-in process went smoothly, and the front desk staff was excellent. We arrived from a trans-con flight that morning, and arrived at the hotel at noon. We didn't expect to be able to check-in, but just wanted to leave bags so we could be on our way. The desk agent went out of her way to not only upgrade us to the best available room (I have SPG platinum status), but provide us with a room key immediately.

Our room was an Astor Suite near the top floor of the hotel, and it was beautiful. Very thoughtfully designed, with lots of modern amenities and technology. While the room was just about perfect, certain cabinet doors didn't open quite correctly (hinge screws loose?). It just felt a little worn, but nothing some simple maintenance couldn't fix. The bed was very comfortable, and the entire design of the suite was extremely thoughtful and useful, especially given its small footprint.

The other hotel facilities were quite nice. We used the pool, which is indoor and has a nice indoor deck area with comfortable furniture and a water cooler. Apparently we could have ordered food to the pool, but did not. The pool itself was salt-water, which we prefer, and was the perfect temperature. We didn't use the spa, but did use the gym which was pretty decent for a hotel this size.

The staff we encountered were all quite friendly. We had room service and Butler tea service, which were executed very well. We had worked with the concierge before arrival to recommend some restaurants for lunch and dinner. Both selections were fantastic, and fit the description we'd articulated. The hotel provides a chauffeur-driven Bentley for guests to use within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. We inquired when it was time for dinner, and were taken immediately. Great free perk! The continental breakfast was good and filling (free for Platinum members, but so overpriced on the menu that I imagine no one ever orders it otherwise -- $29 for yogurt, pastries, and granola? When most all hot entrees are less than $29, but aren't available to Platinum guests? Sounds like they're just trying to make me THINK I'm getting a great deal), and the restaurant staff was very attentive (if not overly so).

The only real disappointment was the housekeeping service. At about 5 pm, as we were getting ready for dinner and enjoying our champagne, the maid entered to complete the turn-down service. As we were in robes, I asked that she come back around 7:30 or 8, when I knew we'd be gone. When we returned, it appeared as though no service had taken place. The trays from room service, with their used and dirty dishes were still in the living room, and a towel was still on the floor. Upon reaching the bedroom, I did see that the curtains were closed and the bed was turned down, with bottles of water and slippers, but... it was just disappointing. I've never had a maid enter a room to freshen it during turn-down and not take used room service, glasses, towels, etc. Most even fold any clothing that's hanging over a chair. I expected much more from a hotel of this caliber, and housekeeping, in my opinion, is one of the most important functions of a hotel.

Bottom line, this is a great hotel, and I would recommend it despite the disappointments we experienced.

PS: I always complete the in-room/online feedback survey at hotels, even if it's just to leave praise. Anytime I have EVER pointed out an issue at a 5 star property, I've been contacted by management -- until the St. Regis San Francisco. Not a complaint, but thought whoever reads this should know that it doesn't go unnoticed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We're local, and live about 35 miles away from the St. Regis Hotel in San Francisco. On special nights my wife and I for our family will stay at the St. Regis so we are closer to AT&T Park where the San Francisco Giants play, in which we have season tickets..

This review is a combination of both stays, so you'll get the advantage of the review for our first stay which was in September 2012, for our Anniversary, and our second day, which was on the weekend of May 16, 2014 for my birthday.

Let me start by saying our stay in September 2012 enjoyable. We arrived, our bags were taken to our room and we went right to the bar as we were late, the check the score of the game. We then checked in, and went to the room.

The room was nicely appointed as expected from St. Regis Hotel. There is a bottle of champagne, and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries for us, and letter congratulating us on our anniversary.

We quickly left, and went downstairs to grab a car to get to the park. At this time, I was unaware of the ability to use Uber. I'm not even sure that they were a company yet. As I was at the mercy of either my cell phone to grab a taxi, or the Bellman, I approached the Bellman and he quickly had the house car, a beautifully appointed brand-new Bentley Continental, pull up and take us to the park.

We arrived at the park in style, and enjoyed a losing game from some great seats, and some great stadium food. P

We arrived back at the hotel, and prior to leaving, I suck to be turned down. When arriving back at our room, we entered, room was turned down, the shades drawn, the lights dim, flower petals on the bed, and our champagne was uncorked and poured. I assumed they were watching the game, as I could tell the champagne was recently opened. We enjoyed a glass, and then did what most people do on their anniversary next, head to the bar.

We sat at the bar to grab some appetizers that were less fried, and the bar backs and servers seem to have some sort of neurological connection, as it was the most smoothest running bar I would ever seen. In or outside of the hotel. If your drink or even getting the slightest bit empty, a refill for different drink was offered. Of the drinks we had, none of them rated below and eight. Solid pores, great selection of mixed drinks, great wine selection, and the most important… Great service and attention made us feel we were the only patrons in what was a very full bar the bar after the game that night.

We had a quiet evening, with no distractions, and a late departure so we sleep could sleep in before we left from our overnight stay cation for my anniversary.

Our second stay was most recently on the weekend of May 16, 2014. You may read this in some months or even a few years later, so everything is relative and time and things improve and go sour at hotels depending on the management and team morale.

We pulled up at the St. Regis three hours after check in time, around 6 PM and late again for the start of the baseball game. We were the only car in valet, however there was no valet insight. As my wife was driving that night, I got out and asked the woman at registration if there was valet service that evening, or if we needed to park the car in the garage and where to do that. She seemed extremely irritated, left through a door, and came back moments later and said to return to my car. I asked her again if I should park it myself, or have it valet? For what ever reason, she seemed extremely busy, and a little irritated at what was going on with her computer. She again repeated herself in a higher, more aggravated tone, to return to my car and a valet would be with us soon. Okay. Bye-bye. I'm in the computer industry, I totally get it.

Upon the return to my car, a valet indeed was unloading our bag, and providing us great service to get to our room. Although I was dressed nicely, I did have my rusty old Giants hat on, and he picked up that I most likely was heading to the game so he said he would have our bag rushed to our room.

We went to the lobby and checked in. During our check-in, my wife mentioned to the woman at the check-in counter that it was my 40th birthday. She responded "yes, we know Mrs. Smith". Somewhat taken aback by the snippy attitude, we just chalked it up to everyone having a bad day, and frankly, she was having one. As we are SPG members, we used 1000 points to upgrade our room. When arriving in our room, we found it smaller and less inviting than the room that we paid for for our Anniversary, then didn't use points to upgrade. I'm not saying that the two are correlated, we just found this room brother skimpy for the price. Although it was on the 15th floor, we had a great view of the 15th floor of the building next to us. There was a small cake in the room, for one person, with a letter congratulating me on my 40th birthday. Note - There's nothing to congratulate a person on when they turn 40. The gesture was nice, however.

As my wife needed to get dressed, again…I turned on the TV to see you score of the game. However, the TV didn't work. There was an error on the TV screen and could not see the channels or even access the hotel entertainment system.

We didn't have time to call for someone to repair the television, and decided to do so when we returned. so we left the hotel and went to valet to get a car to take us to the game. Traffic was light, the city was almost empty, and it was around the third inning, and we were late. Kids. They're like beautiful golden anchors.

I was going to ask the valet if it was possible to get a ride down to the stadium, don't need the Bentley, but any ride will do. (okay, I kinda wanted the Bentley). You have to understand that the St. Regis in San Francisco hotel is approximately one a quarter to a half mile from the stadium directly down 3rd Street. I wasn't expecting the Bentley that we were provided previously, but it would've been nice. But again, no valet to be found. This time, armed with Uber (Lord, I love this app.) I requested a car to take us down to the stadium. When he arrived, in like 30 seconds, he said he wasn't allowed on property. He wasn't requested by the hotel, so he wasn't allowed in the hotel driveway. the valet had returned, and rushed to the street to open the door for my wife, and then came around to open my door which I already had (yes, I opened my door before I opened up my wife's….Take me to the gallows), and then looked at me holding the door open, smiling with that "tip" look. You know that look I'm talking about. I said thank you very much, but I did not tip him. I felt that the car was ordered by me, it was off property as uber is not allowed in the driveway, that a tip was unwarranted for simply opening a door. (I expect to get flamed on this, but it's my stance, and I standby it unless someone can explain the logic of tipping someone for opening a door). When I said thanks, his response - a kinda verbal lightweight jab, "uh-hu" and the door shut. I literally thought that he and the woman at the front desk where having the worst days of their lives. Even the driver made a comment on the valets behavior. He asked if we had done something to make him upset. "I guess he wasn't a Giants fan", I said. My wife said he had a "case of the grumpy's. I looked at her, and told her to never say that again. Onto the park.

We headed down to the freezing ballpark, and enjoyed another losing Giants game in -40° weather with fog. I really appreciate it guys. You better make the Pennant this year. Many of you are probably wondering why we just didn't walk. Indeed it is a pretty quick walk down a one-way street, however, with the wind that night and the weather, the temperature was absolutely freezing. And to keep my wife comfortable, we got the car. Me, the Spartan I am, could walk down 3rd Street to the AT&T Park naked. But alas, I wanted to keep my beautiful bride warm. Note – that's a complete lie. I wouldn't have made it out of the mother's womb as a Viking. I hate the cold. That's why it's even harder to be a Giant's fan.

Then off to Mission Rock Resort for a great dinner and drinks with some friends, and then a car 'back to the hotel.

Back in the room, the TV was still on the fritz. We called maintenance and the guy came up and reset the TV computer. For those who want to know, the computer is located directly to the left of the television inside of the cabinet. There's a secret compartment in the back of the cabinet with a small button - you push it, and a small computer will slide out and you can reset the TV.

Ha ha. The TVs working. Great! Something to do while we fall asleep. I know what you're thinking. Dirty little mind.

I'll love going to hotels. They have the movies that are right between "just about to go to DVD", and "not yet on Apple TV, and a year away from Netflix". Since we don't go to the movies that often ,except to watch superhero movies, this was a nice treat.

Movie starts... Zot...TV Goes on the fritz. Call maintenance guy. He comes in and resets the pewter'. Hey, I might be a techie, but I'm not guna be on the hook for breaking what looks like a $6000 overengineered Comcast cable box. He offers us a free movie. Great, we're already watching that Jack Ryan movie. He said he could credit us another movie. I said were only staying for one night how many movies can you watch before checkout. Use old, shortness shoulders, said good night and close the door. This is when I realized I should've tipped him. This is what tipping is for. 40, and I'm a freaking idiot. Not that I wasn't when I was 39 a few hours ago.

So while I'm there watching a really crappy Jack Ryan movie. Note, Jack Ryan has been reborn now in four characters. Alex Baldwin, Harrison Ford, one of those two Boston kids, and this new guy from the Star Trek movies. Seriously, can someone make an attempt to film Tom Clancy's crappy novels in order?

Wife heads to the head. The bathroom, that is. Washes her hands and, lo and behold, the sinks are plugged up. Disgusting. It's now about one in the morning. Guess who we call again, the maintenance guy. This time, a different guy shows up. The other guy probably was just too upset at us to come back (those non-tippers).

Sinks unplugged, hairball, whatever has been removed, and off goes the maintenance guy. Now, I'm just too damn tired to care about the movie anymore. So much for a free movie.

9 AM. Bang. Bang. Bang. On a freaking Sunday morning? So it turns out our friends next-door are actually the new building. No one felt it was important to mention to us that, while, on Sundays in San Francisco and then non-suburban areas, construction can be done on Sunday.

I couldn't believe it. No, I could believe it, I just didn't want to. We ordered breakfast, which was rather good, and packed up, and we're out.

I hit the front desk to complain, and now I'm dealing with a whole new set of people. The Sunday morning crew. The "post game Giants didn't win, I have to work on a Sunday morning, crew."

I had written down on a notepad, on the way down in the elevator everything debit gone wrong in our stay. There were other things too, like minibar food that had been used, and put back. Thanks, gross, just disgusting. Who does that?

I'm not in the mood hanangle the manager. Of the 10 things I had on my list, I got to my third before you offer to cut my room rate in half. I agreed, and went on my way. In another life, I would've made a big deal of it. Look at my other life. Online. Or have the power to say... Hey St. Regis of San Francisco, I stayed with you a few times now, I really like your hotel, but it's not getting better, it's getting worse. Start talking to the GM about what's causing dissatisfaction amongst your customers. I'm not the only one that stays frequently at your hotel, and I think we both know what I say is true.

Now for full disclosure. I railed on the Westin St. Regis Hotel in Kauai, the Princeville resort, I think back in 2007. It raised a pretty huge brouhaha on this website. You may even be able to see it. We ended up going back, not for free, and they made right in the areas they previously had not. Note, that are bill out the door for Princeville was around $9000 if I recall. I'm not complaining. It's worth every penny. Ask George Clooney.

Growing pains for a rebuilt hotel under new management. I'm also An SPG member. I stay at a lot of the resorts and hotels. I will tell you know that the Westin Kierland resort in Scottsdale, for Giants preseason baseball, is absolutely awesome in every way.

I'm not a saint Regis or Weston hater. As a matter of fact, quite the opposite. That's why when I stay at their hotels, I always take a moment to comment on my stay. It's like wanting to see your children be successful.

Room Tip: I have no idea, tell me when you find out.
Green Features: I wasn't exactly paying attention to this. I didn't notice anything.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
William F, Director of Sales at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Valued Guest, thank you so much for your loyalty to The St. Regis San Francisco. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are disappointed that your experience during your recent birthday stay did not match the experience of your previous stay. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss further. Best regards, Lilian Wagner, Director of Sales & Marketing on behalf of William Fong, Hotel Manager. 415-284-4000.
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

The rooms are large and technologically up to date, the bathrooms luxurious, the swimming pool very nice, and the service friendly, but is it really necessary to charge extra for wi fi, for access to steam and/or sauna, and, perhaps most jarring, delivery of the New York Times in the morning? Being nickeled and dimed is not conducive to generating the sense of hospitality essential to a great hotel. Until Starwood figures this out, I'll stick to Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental as my luxury chains of choice...

Stayed May 2014
William F, Director of Sales at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. We appreciate your kind words about our hotel décor, amenities, & service, but regret to hear that we were not able to provide an exceptional experience for you. I invite you to contact me directly so that we may further understand the details of your stay at our hotel as we hope to welcome you back soon.
415.284.4000

Been to The St. Regis San Francisco? Share your experiences!