“5-Star Hotel and 5-Star Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis San Francisco

You added The St. Regis San Francisco to your Saves list
The St. Regis San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Third St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #14 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
New York
“5-Star Hotel and 5-Star Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2008

We just came back from a three-day stay at this hotel, and we enjoyed our stay there very much. The hotel is conveniently located at the center of the city, within walking distance to Market Street (shopping area), the financial district, Chinatown, and Union Square. Their concierges are extremely patient and knowledgeable. The directions from them made our trip so much enjoyable and easier. The restaurant on the 4th floor serves some of the best foods that we have ever had. Our room was goregous with a nice view to the adjacent park and the west side of the city. It has a goregous pool and a great spa with full service. Every small detail, such as the electronically controlled window curtains, the large separate shower, or the full set of in-room entertainment system, shows its sophistication.

• Liked — The goregous room
  • Disliked — no in-room coffee
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2008

Booked a premium deluxe room and was upgraded to a luxurious suite (I think it was a Metropolitan suite). Decor was extremely modern with some truly bizarre "objets d'arte" and yet it was elegant and inviting.. The bedroom was beautiful and cozy and plush. Automated drapes in the huge living room and br.....good idea to close them during the day because all the glass makes for a very warm suite (and wastes energy if you leave on the a.c.)

Our suite was huge and in excellent condition...the bath was luxurious, the bed was extremely comfortable and everything was the best....the linens, towels, comforters, etc.

The pool is gorgeous...totally beautiful with magnificent lounging beds...and it was empty every time we used it.

The lobby is very chic and would appeal to very sleek, well-dressed younger people especially.

The breakfast restaurant was excellent as well. The design of the restaurant (this is their casual restaurant) is lovely. It is one of the few hotel restaurants where the food was actually hot and delicious at breakfast and all but one of the servers was gracious and efficient.

The reception staff and the front office managers were quite nice...I am a starwood platinum member and I was treated well. However, I find the attitude of the staff at the St. Regis hotels to be somewhat cold and aloof. I felt the GM at the hotel must have a stingy nature, because certain amenities which one would normally find in this calibre of luxury hotel were not provided. For example, no welcome amenity, no extra soaps, etc in the bath, a paltry amount of towels....a small matter, but curious.

Housekeeping was perfect and the room was always immaculate.

The spa is gorgeous and expensive.

I was not crazy about the location of the hotel. This is not a factor for which the hotel is responsible, obviously . The neighborhood is lively and lots to do nearby but my favorite parts of SF were not readily in reach. The concierge gives excellent suggestions and directions and we had a wonderful time.

All in all, an excellent choice with great service and a top quality product.

• Liked — Luxurious accomodations...luxury all the way
  • Disliked — slightly cold and unfriendly front desk staff
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

We stayed at the St. Regis for 4 nights - 3 at the start of our trip to CA and 1 at the end. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious, beds are very comfortable, they have flat screen TVs in the bedroom and a small screen in the bathroom, toiletries are great, there's a hot tub in the spa that's open to all guests and they have a business center with free internet and printing facilities. Staff are very friendly and accommodating. Location-wise it's very central to lots of tourist sites in SF and most are within walking distance. We had a room on the 14th floor first time and then on the 7th floor. On both occassions I was woken out of my sleep during the night by noise from either outside or other guests. Construction starts early in SF! There were fire engine sirens going off all night. One of the rooms was an adjoining room and we heard the other guests coming back late one night. Overall it was a good experience.

• Liked — Big rooms, comfortable beds, great toiletries
  • Disliked — The noise throughout the night
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2008

My daughter(8) and I joined my husband on a business trip in San Francisco. This was the most amazing hotel we've ever stayed at...fairly new, state-of-the-art everything. Great rooms - best shower ever, convenient location, inviting pool & spa. Pricey but worth it!!

• Liked — Rooms
  • Disliked — Price - too expensive
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

The St. Regis in San Francisco is to die for!

The public spaces are gorgeous; the rooms are goregous and the service is impeccable.

I don't think I was ever told "no" during the duration of my trip.

The concierge, Robert, was so knowledgeable and made dinner reservations for me and my group. I don't know for sure...but at the restaurant the chef and the manager came and introduced themselves (which I can't help but think the St. Regis had something to do with).

I stayed in an Astor Suite which was contemporary in decor and absolutely beautiful. Floor to ceiling glass, leather walls, dark wood floors, two huge plasmas (and a lcd tv in the bathroom) and the softest bed I have ever slept in (complete with Pratesi Linens). I loved the touch-screen console by the bed that allowed you to control the lights, the window shades and thermostat. The St. Regis butler; room service and concierge were just one button away.

The bathroom had dual sinks, a soaking tub and a separate shower, befitting a top notch property.

The St. Regis blew me away and I recommend doing whatever you can to stay there. I guess the best part of the entire stay is that there was no pretense...just smiles and a helpful attitude that definitely deserves 5 stars.

• Liked — The Suite!
  • Disliked — Valet Parking is Expensive
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Elk Grove, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2008

The St. Regis San Francisco is a Mobil-rated five star (the most highly coveted award in the hospitality industry) property located next to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Moscone Center. I believe the hotel’s location is categorized as SoMa. The hotel is in close proximity to the Embarcadero, Chinatown, the financial district, and Union Square.

The St. Regis San Francisco’s main competitors are the Four Seasons on Market Street and the Ritz-Carlton on Nob Hill (the only other properties in SF that are Mobil-rated five stars). Of those three hotels, the St. Regis is the newest with the more competitive rates. I hear the Four Seasons is renovating as we speak and the Ritz just finished their renovations not too long ago.

Valet parking at the St. Regis is roughly $52 (average rate to valet park) per night and should be inclusive of taxes (there is a base amount plus tax). Average time to retrieve car is 10 minutes. There are several public parking garages on 3rd Street where guests can park their cars for $20-$25 dollars per 24-hour period. The only caveat is there are no in and out privileges and the garages may close and you will not be able to retrieve your car until the next morning. San Francisco hotels charge a 14% accommodation tax. In addition there is another tax that is also levied but skips my mind but it is less than one percent.
Upon arrival, we were generously upgraded to a Metropolitan suite. Check-in was especially quick. I was in my suite in less than 10 minutes after I arrived at the hotel. The hotel was able to accommodate an early-check-in (normal check-in is 3:oo pm). If you need a late check-out it’s advisable to inquire upon check-in so hotel personnel can see if that request can be accommodated; otherwise check-out is at 12 noon.

The generic description of the Metropolitan suite on the hotel’s website is accurate. Normally suites of this size (980 sq ft) include 1 ½ bathrooms; however, in our suite, there is only one full bathroom. There is enough closet space for two people traveling for several days. The suite is starting to show some signs of wear and tear (to be expected as this hotel opened in 2005?). Some of the wood paneling was smudged and dented (wall and floor). In addition, double vanity sinks are only included in suites. Standard rooms (Superior to Executive) only have single vanity sinks. There are two 42” LG Plasma televisions in the suite (one featured in the bedroom and one in the living room). Also, there is a smaller television in the bathroom. (I have found that this hotel and the Four Seasons offers a better selection of channels to its guests (the last time I stayed at the Ritz, they only have a fraction of the available channels that this hotel offers). The bathroom toiletries are of the “Laboratoire Remede” brand which is the name of the Spa that operates in the hotel. The windows shades and lighting are controlled by an LCD console located next to the bed (in room and suite categories) and on the desk in the living room (in suite categories). As this suite is located on the corner, there are an abundance of windows. The windows DO NOT open. Even from the 12th floor, like many other hotels, street noise can be heard especially emergency sirens. As a previous reviewer mentioned, if you opt to close the shade, be it the sheer or blackout shade, ALL the shades will close in unison. You cannot choose to leave one corner of the shades opened and the others closed. However, you can choose how much of the shade you want drawn. Thoroughly and thoughtfully placed recessed lighting and lamps illuminate the room just fine.

FYI: If you require ice, the butler will retrieve it for you; otherwise, during turndown service, ice is refreshed and free bottled water is replenished. The concierge has a DVD library available to hotel guests. The hotel also has a house car, a Bentley, which can shuttle guests within a limited radius of the hotel. Room service charges are as follows: expect to pay a $3 delivery charge, taxes, and gratuity to ANY order placed through room service. For your convenience, 3 cups of coffee is $8, make your own ice cream sundae is $10, and gourmet mini-corn dogs is $17 (all prices exclusive of the applicable service charges). Dry cleaning a sweater is $11 whereas pressing costs $9. There was no price list for the items in the mini-bar.

There is an indoor swimming pool, a gym (stocked with fruit, water, and magazines), and a spa (additional cost) available to guests at this hotel. All facilities were immaculately maintained. I had breakfast in the hotel’s restaurant Vitrine (serves breakfast and lunch only). Ame serves dinner. I did not try the bar so I cannot comment on that. The food at Vitrine and room service were of good quality/presentation, but nothing spectacular. There is a Peets coffee shop one block up the hotel for those who want coffee and simple breakfast pastries.

The service is definitely on par with what I would expect from a five-star property. Before arrival, a guest relations associate will contact you to solicit information to try to make your stay even more comfortable. Everyone is friendly and helpful (from the front desk to concierge) and will do everything they can to ensure you have an excellent stay while in San Francisco. Housekeeping did a great job maintaining the suite. I look forward to returning when I can. SPG members can procure very competitive rates at this hotel.

• Liked — The rainshower.
  • Disliked — The view from the rooms/suites.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2008

Just returned from a weekend trip to the St. Regis. We got a reduced price by redeeming some Starwood points, but it was still expensive. Overpriced, to be more exact. We don't mind paying for true luxury, but this hotel doesn't even come close to that.
The St. Regis is full of affectations (like the personal butler) but lacking in real amenities or value. We had a corner room on the 13th floor with a nice view of the Metreon and the Marriott (which looks like a better possibility for our next stay). The coolness factor of the touch screen bedside device soon grows tiresome. For example, the drapes can only be manipulated electronically and it is "all or none". Either they are all open or none can be opened. Given the nature of the corner rooms that means that if you want a view of the city, your "neighbors" in the next room automatically get a view of you.
The bathrooms are very small and poorly equipped. Hard to believe that a supposed 5-star establishment doesn't even provide a shower cap. (they will draw a $1500 bath for you though, in a tub that is barely big enough for one tall person and scratched up). Our room even had a small hole near the ceiling where the pocket door seals off the toilet and shower from the rest of the bathroom. The only mirror in the room was in the bathroom above the single sink. Again, not our definition of luxury. I had to go into the entry way to do my hair, where there was a mirror and console table.
As others have noted, they did contact us by email about our stay. To honor our anniversary they sent up a nice bottle of $7.99 sparkling wine. While it was a nice touch, it is hard to know if we should have been flattered or insulted.:) We did appreciate having the wine bucket though. We walked a block down to Walgreens where we could actually acquire enough ice to chill a bottle, and consumed some very nice sparkling that we purchased outside of the hotel for a Real Person's Price. With no coffee faciilities in the room, or down in the lobby, we were grateful that Peets Coffee is just across the street. For $$$$ a night the hotel could really provide at least a single-serving pod machine in the rooms. It would be way more useful than the tiny stereo system, or even the DVD player. Those are redundant given that most people travel with their IPod and/or buy movies on the TV if so inclined. (or in this case, walk across the street to the Metreon to see a movie).
Finally, we came to the city to relax. Hard to do given that except for the bed there was no comfortable place to sit. The desk had two straight-back wooden chairs that were a testimony to form over function. I don't believe I have ever sat in anything more uncomfortable.
I do believe that housekeeping does a nice job, and the staff is certainly trained to be friendly.
We travel extensively here and abroad, and stay in a wide variety of establishments. The St. Regis would be at the very bottom of our list compared to other places in this price range. You can get a much better value at several other properties in the city. We chose the St. Regis because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor, and it was the only places that had availability. Now we know why the latter was true.
SOMA is a great location and we will definitely make it our destination on every city trip. We will however not return to the St. Regis. They have a lot to learn about blending trend with function. I suggest their management visit some of the Starwood Le Meridians that are Art/Tech style such as Vienna. They will come away with a true appreciation of how style can be enhanced by real amenities for the traveler.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The St. Regis San Francisco? Share your experiences!