“Enjoyable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis San Francisco

Save Saved
You added The St. Regis San Francisco to your Saves list
The St. Regis San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Third St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #16 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

We arrived at the St Regis after being in a quaint little hotel in Napa and automatically felt it was a little big. Service was excellent when we arrived and room was spacious and lovely but felt it was missing the personal touch. The concierge recommended restaurants, checked bookings etc and were very efficient. They made a great recommendation of Dotties for breakfast on 6th Street but failed to tell us it was in a rough part of town so we felt a little uncomfortable walking the 3 blocks there. Our stay at the St Regis was lovely BUT was it worth the money? Not convinced.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Your review on your most recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco is much appreciated and we want to thank you for expressing your opinions. We are pleased to hear that we were able to create a memorable experience through our excellent service. On behalf of the Concierge, we apologize for not providing more detail on the location of Dottie’s but do hope that you had an enjoyable breakfast. We hope to host your next stay in San Francisco, but until then, thank you so very much for your review.

415-284-4057

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

To be fair -- this is a very nice hotel. My limited grievances are that it doesn't match its price range.

On the good side -- the service was generally excellent and responsive. Everyone was gracious and helpful (one complaint below, a matter of detail). The location has some issues -- even though this area has many new hotels to meet the convention business nearby, the St. Regis (though close to Moscome/Yerba Buena) is furthest from Union Square and its a hike to Market and shopping. Also, it's right on 3rd Street, the main exit street from highway 101, and there can be a lot of noise, so be selective about the floor you're on and the side your room faces.

Although its purely a matter of personal taste, I found the decor and design very disappointing. The lobby feels very much like an office building lobby -- austere, hard surfaces, noisy, few comfortable places to sit, very exposed to the street and traffic with no buffer. The bar in the lobby is cold and the nearby sitting area is small, noisy and uncomfortable.

The rooms were quite disappointing. I finally settled on the third one they showed me among the so-called "Grand Deluxe" level of rooms. They are small for the price level and the furniture is uncomfortable. The desk chairs are painfully unpleasant - stiff, 90 degree angle chairs. But here the staff was very nice -- after a search of several hours, they brought a reclining office-type chair. But the sitting chair was firm and not a place where you'd want to spend hours reading. In two of the rooms I rejected, the desk was against the wall so if one wanted to work, you were facing the wall with the windows out of sight.

The so-called butler service was ok, but it (again, a matter of tsste) became annoying to have them recite a lengthy memorized greeting (or, in my view, interruption) every time I called, and four times the phone rang 15-20 times before someone picked up.

The dining room was also cold and sterile, and the entire hotel is without color, unless one consider white, brown, beige, black and other neutrals to be color. In short, though its certainly a good hotel, for $650+ per room, they are relatively small and the atmosphere is very corporate, so it lacks elegance. In short, though the hotel is good, it is a very austere and cold envrionment that wears on you. It seems odd to say this for such a new hotel, but it needs a renovation -- and with a more thoughtful and creative decorator.

The fitness center is good but not great, but they mercifully do not drown you in loud television.

One other thing -- San Francisco taxi service is poor, and the butler desk was not helpful when, while at friends for dinner, I called for a taxi and it didn't come for 50 miniutes, and when I called the hotel twice to inquire, they needed to be prodded to call the taxi servide again and seemed content to just say "its on its way", when it clearly wasn't.

Room Tip: many rooms are too close to a very noisy street so avoid anything remotecly close to 3rd.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share detailed feedback about your most recent experience at The St. Regis San Francisco. Please accept my sincere apology for the inadequate service during your stay. Providing exceptional service to our guests is something that we pride ourselves in; I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet those standards. Your feed back will certainly be shared with our team to insure that this does not happen again. We are aware that the hotel needs a few updates and we are planning on redesigning the lobby décor this month. We hope that you will take the opportunity to visit us again and experience the updated bar lounge.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Husband was staying here for business and I met him for a long weekend. The standard room is not large, but you hardly notice with the clean design and sensible lay out. The bathtub and separate shower are spacious and luxurious. staff is polite and genuine. Overall, and outstanding visit. Hoping for another soon!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to express your thoughts on your most recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. We appreciate your feedback, and your comments help the hotel improve our excellent service and it also assists us in our commitment to excellence. It pleases us to hear that you are fond of our cleanly designed rooms, and that you and your husband could enjoy our luxurious hotel together. Again, thank you for your review on your recent trip and we hope to welcome you into our doors again in the near future.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Located very centrally to all key tourist and conference attractions, this is a very contemporary modern St. Regis. Service is impeccable, with rooms that are very quiet, spacious with decor that is 'zen-like' in its ability to relax you immediately.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
William F, Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. Your appreciation of our great location and ‘zen-like’ ambiance makes me very happy. It is great to hear that our effort to create a comfortable experience is noticed. Again, thank you for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel.

Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have stayed at the St. Regis in San Francisco twice and it will not be my last. Like most successful people or businesses, the attention to the details really make-or-break the deal. I was welcomed back with a hand-written "thank you" note along with a beautiful and meaningful assortment of fruit and beverage. The housekeeper makes sure the bed is turned down every night with a new bottle of water at bedside. Ice was promptly brought up to my room at a phone call. The complimentary coffee was not only great tasting but I thought the St Regis logo on the cup-cover was especially unique. Knowing that San Francisco can be prone to rain on any given day, the hotel offers complimentary umbrella. So don't worry of packing one. THe front desk staff is always conscientious of your needs. When I asked to exchange for small bills for tipping and the subway, my bills were carefully laid upon a silver platter and handed to me rather than putting in my hand or counter. Now that was the most impressive thing I've seen any hotel capable of doing. Upon leaving, the door men not only helped with the luggage but offered us bottled water for the road.
While most hotels can offer the comfortable beds and toiletries that are expected of high end hotels, St. Regis understands the essence of personalization and pure class. It is very obvious that the management of St. Regis is the best of its class to instill such ownership of customer service in their employees.

I hope the St. Regis management team reads these feedback. It would be a shame that these values and details are lost at my next stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay at The St. Regis San Francisco. Guest feedback is vitally important to the betterment of the hotel, so we greatly appreciate yours. It pleases me to hear that you are fond of our attention to detail. We pride ourselves in our exceptional service and commitment to excellence, and we are glad to hear that our efforts are appreciated. I am happy to know that we could impress you with our fantastic front desk staff assisting you with a much needed umbrella during our rainy days in the city. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to host you next time you visit San Francisco.

Vancouver, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Had the privilege of spending a few days in the wonderful corner Astor Suite at the St. Regis Hotel in San Francisco. Our suite was spacious and very well adorned/appointed stylistically modern offering definitive separation between rooms. Really a perfect configuration with a television in each room inclusive of the bathroom that offered a wonderful soaker tub as well as a shower. With this said, it is simply beyond me that this suite offers a single and rather small closet that cannot possibly accommodate two people's garments intending a weekend getaway?!? Also to note, was the superficial cleanliness with the housekeeping staff not having a careful eye for detail.

Both truly fortunate and unfortunate was the location of the hotel. Fortunate from a wonderful proximity to everything including the SF MOMA point of view and unfortunately disappointing arising from the fact that neither of us could sleep solidly through the night with a continuous rush of emergency vehicles' sirens ablaze and aloud. This was a surprising and disturbing continuous disruption to each nights sleep despite being fifteen stories up from street level.

Additional disappointment arose from the level of service despite having a suite butler; service was definitively available, but one really had to ask for it throughout the stay. However, I must admit that prior to arrival, the hotel did contact us with respect to any special requests or the like and graciously and conscientiously took care of our needs. Furthermore, their spa was exceptional both in terms of service and treatment! One final comment surrounding pricing, while the hotel itself is very fairly priced in terms of accommodation, their food and lounge pricing is quite outrageous especially when it comes to room service.

Otherwise, a nice establishment, but one we would be very hesitant to return to based on the street noise levels that occur consistently throughout the night....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent experience at The St. Regis San Francisco. I apologize for your disappointing experience with the loud noise and our butler service. We pride ourselves on our unprecedented service, and not meeting those standards is simply unacceptable. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your service in our exceptional Remede Spa. We hope to welcome you into our doors again so that we may prove our commitment to excellence to you.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I booked a special birthday for a very special friend at the St. Regis Hotel in San Francisco in late October 2012. The St. Regis reached out to me without knowing what a special event this was for me and my companion, introduced their Butler and Concierge services, and asked if they could do anything to provide or assist me with during my stay. After I wrote them to explain what result I was hoping to achieve for my friend, they immediately deployed their entire staff to plan and execute the event. The team delivered on every detail, including flowers, balloons, champagne, and the finest cake from the best bakery in San Francisco. While the birthday girl was out of the room for only five minutes, the team at the St. Regis executed on an unbelievable transformation of my room to give my companion an incredible surprise. I was so concerned about how I was going to pull this off, but the St. Regis went above and beyond my expectations to create what will be a memory for a lifetime. “Best Birthday Ever”, was her direct quote.

Beyond the planning and execution of this event, we also experienced such incredible sensitivity and generosity from the St. Regis in many other ways, from the Butler's personal escort to our room, to a complementary lift across town in the hotel’s Bentley (I asked for a cab, and they offered me their car).

I have been in the customer service businesses for 20 years, yet I have never seen a team who is as organized and genuine as the team at the St. Regis Hotel in San Francisco. I was communicating across multiple work shifts, morning, afternoon, and evening, weekdays and weekends, and the St. Regis effectively managed my project, deliverables, and especially a project lead to all levels and employees. I never felt any concern, nor did I think at any time something would be missed. The team, every employee, was also extremely genuine in their desire to help me and create the experience I was hoping to provide. They really cared, and they expressed their care in so many ways.

It is rare when we have the opportunity to make such a positive impact on someone’s life that will last a lifetime, but the team at the St. Regis did just that. I’m convinced that the way the St. Regis Hotel in San Francisco operates and leads their team, they humbly do this every day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you sharing your positive experience with The St. Regis San Francisco. We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful time at our hotel and that we were able to assist in creating an exceptional birthday for your friend. Your kind review is very much appreciated and we hope to see you again in the near future!

415-284-4057

Been to The St. Regis San Francisco? Share your experiences!