“A Classic Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis San Francisco

You added The St. Regis San Francisco to your Saves list
The St. Regis San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Third St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #13 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
connecticut
“A Classic Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We checked into the St. Regis late after flying in from NYC. To our pleasant surprise, we were upgraded to a suite. We were escorted to the room and were amazed at how big and beautiful it was. The view wasn't that great but the room more than made up for it! The bed was extremely comfortable and the towels, robe and slippers so soft. I loved the bath/shower products that were provided. My hair never looked so good! After a long day of sightseeing we decided to stay in and order room service. It was delivered in a timely manner and was tasty. Apparently we missed out because we didn't use the services of our "butler" who would have catered to our every need. If you stay here, take advantage of the service! Every staff member that we encountered was friendly and professional. The only negative about staying here was that you had to pay for WiFi (a surprise by a hotel of this caliber) and it constantly disconnected which was very frustrating!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is my favorite hotel to stay at while in SF, of the half dozen I've stayed in. The rooms are modern design, spacious, and the ones I've had on the north side have such huge windows they are always well lit naturally. The pool in this place is awesome, and great for laps early in the morning (when you are on East Coast time). The lobby is extremely attractive, great for meetings or tete-a-tetes. The unique fireplace gives it a great, modern ambiance. The hotel staff are very friendly, remember your name, and the concierge in particular has directed us to unique and good places (food and museums) when we've asked. The location is one of my favorites, in the renovated SoMa district of the city. It's a 10 minute walk to the Ferry Terminal on the Embarcadero. The area is flat, so good for runs as well. Lots of very good restaurants in a few minutes walk from the hotel. The Yerba Buena gardens and urban center are just across the street. The trolley end stops are only a few minutes walk away, as are a number of hidden software companies (great for tech business travelers). In short, this place gets it so right!

Room Tip: Higher off the street is better since there are major streets right below, though the rooms are dece...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

A very elegant five star hotel! From the time of check in to check out very personalized professional staff. I was amazed how the staff from dining room, room service, and maids called you by name. This is a very nice touch that doesn't go unnoticed. The staff was always asking if there was something else they could do to make my stay more enjoyable. Location is great and a few blocks from Union Square and Grant Avenue. The muni and bart are very close also to get you around the city and beyond. The spa and pool are fabulous. If one uses the AMEX FH&R program it is a great value at The St. Regis. Lots of great perks. I look foward returning to San Francisco and a stay at The St. Regis.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

What we say one of the best hotels where we have been.
All perfect with 5 star service impeccable from start to finish.
Super recommended for lovers of San Francisco.
Located near all the attractions to visit.
The conciege is a huge job in satisfying all needs
Thanks again

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This is 5 star!! The staff there should be very proud of the service provided. They went above and beyond to meet our every need. I was staying there with 8 friends and we are all extremely satisfied. This is the best location in San Francisco for a tourist to be staying. They planned all of our outings. Also the 24hr pool is an awesome idea, the gym was full of complimentary newspapers and fresh fruit. I loved it

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

While there is nothing about this hotel that will make you say "WOW!", I admire the sheer professionalism of the staff, the modern decor, and the peacefulness of the hotel. While the views and outdoor space at the Vitale are certainly better, the noisy pick up scene and hit or miss service that goes along with it always makes me think twice about returning. Corner rooms on high floors at the St Regis offer enough of a city view, as well as a degree of privacy, to remind you that you are not staying in a generic chain hotel. The indoor lap pool, which is rarely busy, is a major draw for me. Location might not be to everyone's liking, but Uber can usually get a car there within 10 minutes and cut out the San Fran taxi hassle. If you want a reliable hotel where everything works and you'll get a quiet night's sleep, the St Regis is for you.

Room Tip: Corner Rooms on higher floors have the best views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Here's what I loved:
- Unstuffy and welcoming greetings from bell and door staff and even more from Daniela at the front desk. (Loved her asking a few questions that allowed us to have a great conversation .. not "just" a check in. And I imagine if I'd wanted not to talk, she and others there would have recognized that and not done so.)
- My room (1705) - on the park side - and so bright and open and comfortable. I wanted to move in -- or at least take some of the ideas home if we ever remodel our condo.

- GREAT high-speed internet service (and yes, at a cost but it worked superbly), desk, desk light. Lots of outlets on the desk. The room also has a 'master control' next to the bed to raise and lower the window shades (room darkening and other roman shades), turn on and off the lights, and even the DND on the door. It was a help. I would like the bedside lamps to be a bit brighter for reading but with other lamps on and easily able to be turned off w/o getting out of bed, it was fine.

- Chicken soup on the room service menu. I had gotten food poisoning on my flight into SFO (yeah .. horrible right?) and instead of the biz lunch I was to have and the dinner w/ family, I stayed in my room and was so happy to have chicken soup. (See note below.) (I think all room service menus should have chicken soup and grilled cheese sandwiches available - or PB&J for adults. After traveling all day - and esp. after getting sick - I don't want terribly "grown up" food. I want comfort. Archie, one of the room service servers, was also so pleasant and I am grateful to him for his courtesy.

- Excellent staff everywhere. I am so sorry I can't remember the concierge name - male, shaved head, sweet smile, nattily attired - who was beyond helpful on my first morning there. He anticipated so many needs and was just great. I learned that Toni Knorr is the GM and, having known her for many years through the hospitality/meetings industry, I knew that part of why the hotel ran so well. She is smart and has a human touch that allows staff to work smartly and with compassion. It matters.

-Bathroom was so great. At first I groaned seeing a stall shower and a separate soaking tub. I never use the latter and always dread the former bec. they are usually not 'user friendly' - that is, they are usually small, have less water pressure and no bench. AH HA! This one had both the overhead "rain shower" head and a separate hand-held head if so desired. The bench was so comfortable for sitting (and leg-shaving .. if that's not TMI) and the ledge also was more than ample for shampoo, etc.

I loved that there were two doors to the bathroom: one "standard" from the side and then the double doors that opened into the bedroom. For tub-soakers, you could luxuriate and look out the windows -- and it's far enough from the windows that no one can watch back. It made the room and bathroom feel even bigger because it was all so open.

- Excellent laundry service: Like many travelers, I travel with minimal clothing and depend on good laundry service - preferably express or overnight. I think the laundry is done in house and it would be another reason to move in! For a luxury hotel in a major city, it was reasonably priced.

- Checkout, which I did "manually" - that is, at the front desk, was simple and well done. The front desk person, in addition to checking me out, ensured there was a cab for me, got change for me and brought it to me, and just sent me off with the exact same comfort I had checking in.

- Other staff thanks: Barry Peterson, Dir. of Convention Services & Catering - and Regional Director for Starwood for that position as well, a colleague and friend I'd not seen for probl. 20 years, took care of my reservation via the group for whom I was conducting training. We had some time the second day to talk and I learned more about their staff training, their philosophy, and the St. Regis collection as well. It was wonderful to reconnect with him - and learn what they are doing at the Hotel and throughout Starwood. And I know that if I had an event to book in SF, I'd go to the St. Regis for his help with creativity and service.

Would I go back? In a heartbeat!

The chicken soup .. is, alas, the only thing I would "doctor" - it tasted a bit more like beef consomme and I'd like a more chickeny-chicken soup .. w/ the option of just noodles v. noodles and the herbs. (The herbs were good - and fresh and lovely. Just not what a tummy-in-distress wanted.)

Thank you, Toni and Barry and all the staff. I've not slept that well or felt as comfortable or worked as efficiently in any hotel in a very long time.

Room Tip: I learned the "park view" has the larger rooms and larger bathrooms including larger stall...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to The St. Regis San Francisco? Share your experiences!