“high class service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis San Francisco

You added The St. Regis San Francisco to your Saves list
The St. Regis San Francisco
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   125 Third St., San Francisco, CA 94103 (Financial District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #13 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Orange County
“high class service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We arrived early on Christmas Day, front desk staffs were great, greeted us and started to work on my check in process right away. They were able to upgrade me to a higher floor room. Clean modern lobby with touch of christmas decorations and there's always an open elevator on the lobby level ready to whisk you to your floor.

The room was very nice, clean with a calming color tone. The bed was very comfortable and the linens were very crisp. Good amount of work space with a nice chair and good amount of lighting if you need to work at night. Seating area next and by the window were really nice. Plush bath robes and slippers. Turn down service was excellent.

Bathroom area was fully stocked with towels and Remede bath amenities. The rain shower head was so great (i think all 5 star hotel should have this), i always want to take extra time while showering after a long walk around the city. The bath tub was nice and opens up to the bedroom and you will be able to watch TV while soaking in the nice size tub. If you need privacy you can close the doors connecting to the bedroom and enjoy a smaller TV in the bathroom.

Fitness center is kinda small but nice. lots of cardio equipment. Pool was very nice. We really enjoy the pool for ourselves that night.

Concierge service is at your fingertip and they were very helpful and knowledgeable.
The door man was really nice and polite. There's always smile and greetings from all the hotel staff. They were very attentive and helpful.

Location was great near to market street and convention center. The entrance and lobby was not as grand as their other properties. But again this is SF, space is very limited.

I would recommend this hotel and will probably stay there again for christmas this year. It was a really great experience.

Thank you St. Regis San Francisco.

Room Tip: Ask for room located in higher floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
SG
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We treated ourselves to a stay at the St Regis as we were celebrating our 10th anniversary. I booked a Deluxe room, filled in the butler form and made a few inquiries. After 6 weeks of silence, I wrote an e-mail to the butler service requesting for a reply to my inquiries. I received a most shocking reply, a non-sequitur, and no, this wasn't an automatically generated reply. I couldn't believe this was the famed St Regis Butler Service. I won't go into the details but have since written to starwood corporate service department and would like to hear back from the hotel management.

To be fair, once we checked in and went past some very odd guest experiences (which I'll attribute to the butler we communicated with), the service improved tremendously. The other butlers, concierge, front desk, porters, etc were all professional and helpful.

However, something just isn't quite right about the St Regis. The room per se was lovely, that is to say the bed, the bathroom area with the open tub, huge shower room, luxurious bath robe and slippers and view. That's it.

I was surprised that such a high end hotel couldn't provide tea bags but could provide numerous sachets of coffee for free, didn't have a fruit bowl and no turn down delights. Room amenities didn't work well either. Our TV would switch channels to the default channel after some time and the temp control automatically reduced the fan speed after some time too, which made the room very warm in the middle of the night. I kept having to wake up to turn it back up. On our 3rd day, water from the shower leaked into the toilet and I also noticed that the light fixture in the toilet was dangling slightly off the ceiling.

I should have brought it up right there and then but actually didn't fancy packing up and switching rooms, plus we didn't spend too much time watching TV or in the room anyway, so it's partly my fault for keeping silent. I guess I just had great expectations given the reputation and you know, it isn't cheap.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
StRegisSanFran, Hotel Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, February 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
Congratulations on your 10th Anniversary! We are pleased that you chose to celebrate with us but regret your stay was marred in several ways. I have met with my entire Butler staff about the importance of responding efficiently and properly to all of our guests. I apologize for mishandling this pre-arrival communication.
Thank you for your generous compliments in recognizing the staff during your arrival process as well as your satisfaction with the guest room itself.
We most certainly missed meeting your expectations with the many flaws in your guest room. You should not have experienced any of these defects. If you are back in the San Francisco area, please contact me directly. Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
Regards,
415-284-4057
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I am reviewing this property again after doing so a year ago. Stayed there 3 times since and find the service to be finer and more thorough than before. The staff, from the engineer who arrived to fix the DVD player, housekeeping, room service, front desk, and valet parking : all seem to have been trained to provide a better level of service. We stay in either the Metropolitan or Astor suites ( can't remember which ) when at the St. Regis and find them contemporary and comfortable, the king beds are amazing as are the copious towels and bath amenities. Some may not like the noisy lobby lounge, which is popular with locals after work and in the evenings. The coffee service provided in our suite by the personal butler was nice, although during our week's stay the presentation was uneven and never the same, unfortunately. One morning a small plate of biscotti on the tray, the next morning not. The next morning a very small tray, the following morning a big tray with ice waters--not a complaint but I wish the presentation had been standardized. Calls for afternoon ice before turn down seemed to take a good while. The complimentary morning coffee bar just outside Vitrine restaurant is a nice touch for those who wish it. Have never used the pool nor spa but enjoy the hotel gym for cardio. As a gym goer I need more weight and machine equipment so I enjoy walking to the Equinox gym on the other side of Market St. It's a wonderful hotel, relax and enjoy the solicitous service. Oh, valet parking is now $50 per night--high ! You can park just down Minna St. in the garage there I am sure, for less.

Room Tip: not a bad room in the place, I like the suites on a high floor, myself.
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

Would anyone nowadays think that a call within the U.S. would cost that much? Most landlines now consider any call in the U.S. to be local, so when I had to spend a lot of time setting up an iphone with our IS Dept., I didn't think anything of it. I'd love to know the hotel's cost for connecting that call.

In addition, I was charged for two internet connections ($15) to use my laptop and ipad, another $9 for a dropped domestic call (<1min.), and it took several weeks just to get copies of my bill sent to me by email.

Sure, downtown hotels are expensive, but charges like this are unconscionable.

Otherwise, the location is OK- several blocks walk to Market Street, not a tremendous amount very close to the hotel. The room was decent, but I'm not partial to the setup with an electronic shade that separates the bathroom from the main room- I find it's much louder than an actual wall when there's more than one person staying in the room.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
StRegisSanFran, Hotel Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, January 13, 2012
Dear Trip Adviser Reviewer,
Please accept my apology for any incorrect charges that were applied to your account while staying with us. It is not acceptable that it took several weeks for us to email you a folio. I have consulted with my team about both occurrences. I regret that you found the guest room to be loud. However, we do not have electric shades that separate our bathrooms from the main room.
Please allow us the opportunity to make the appropriate adjustments to your statement by contacting me at 415-748-7100. Thank you for being our guest.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

My husband recently returned from a whirlwind business trip where one night was at the St Regis. He and his coworkers arrived and stowed bags at front desk as room was not ready and they had a meeting. My husband's watch was stolen as was a wallet from some other coworker. I realize he probably should not have had his watch on his laptop bag from the flight, but it was - an atomic watch I gave him several years ago. I can't believe his coworker left his wallet in his bag, but he did. Still, hard to believe at a 5 star hotel, their luggage was pilfered and both were taken. Another coworker with nothing taken had mentioned to both of them he noticed when he picked up his bag the zippers were not the same as when he left them at the desk. Just a word to the wise, if you have to leave your bags before room is ready do NOT leave any valuables in them as well, the small stuff can disappear. That being said, he said it was a very plush and comfy place to stay....but they didn't seem too concerned his watch disappeared.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
StRegisSanFran, Hotel Manager at The St. Regis San Francisco, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Good day,
I sincerely regret this incident occurred during your husband’s stay with us. I am unaware of this happening and upon conducting further research with my staff, we are unable to find any information about any guest missing items from their stored luggage. I would greatly appreciate if you would allow me to speak with you so I can address the situation immediately. I can be reached at 415-748-7100.
Thank you very much.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

The hotel is nicely done in a contemporary design and is fairly new. The reservation desk was very helpful. She was going to give us a standard room but took it a step farther to give us a suite for our anniversary. That is great customer service. After you check in the butler walks you to your room describing the hotel and room amenities. The room was fantastic with a great view as a corner room. Light and shades can be operated with a master control in the bedroom. The Regis hotel takes it to the next level in service. Room service was excellent and to top off our stay, they provided an anniversary cake. The hotel is close to shopping and a few museums. The doorman was friendly and helpful. Had a wonderful time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

The St. Regis is located in the lively SOMA area of San Francisco. It is next door to the SF Museum of Modern Art which is great for the art, restaurant and gift shop. Also, it is walking distance to Union Square. The lobby is inviting with comfortable seating for drinks and light food. The rooms are spacious and well appointed with large glass windows that provide lots of natural light. We had a wonderful view of Yerba Buena Gardens. There is a central system to control temperature, lighting, shades and black out shades that is easy to use and conveniently located. The bathrooms are also large and beautiful. We had breakfast in the hotel's restaurant, called Vitrine's, our meal was not memorable but the service was excellent. The staff were professional, helpful and friendly. The only thing annoying about our stay was the charge for internet connection in the room. Other than that complaint, it is my new favorite hotel in San Francisco. It was heaven!

Room Tip: view of the gardens/ downtown San Francisco
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to The St. Regis San Francisco? Share your experiences!