“a bad neiborhood and old hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Motel

Save Saved
You added Beach Motel to your Saves list
Beach Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4211 Judah St, at 47th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122 (Sunset)   |
Ranked #211 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
“a bad neiborhood and old hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

the rooms need refurbishing and the neiborhood is near transportation and local stores are normal with asian stores

• Stayed

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

If you are just looking for a room to sleep in, then this is it! The "free" parking and proximity to Ocean Beach are the best assets of this motel. Although the room was cleaned to the best of the staff's ability, the room had visible mold residue around the bathroom window, paint chippings, rusted sower head and very worn curtains that were hard to close completely. The heater did not work and we couldn't contact the motel desk, because they close at 10:00p.m. and it was 10:30p.m., when we arrived back to retire for the evening. There were no extra blankets in the room and one very thin one on the bed. We froze! The street car noise was apparent, but not so troubling for us, however, very loud sounds of what appeared to be gunfire occurred three times that night (another family member had a room two doors down and they heard them as well and called, because they were so loud). Before leaving, I informed the desk clerk (manager?) that the room had no heat and he said, "Oh I know what that is about." He then told me that he had "turned it off" for the last person in that room and hadn't turned it back on. No apologies, no reduction on night's stay, etc. Oh well...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Port Townsend, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Clean rooms, but lots of small things could be repaired or improved. Noisy, due to streetcars and bar, but close to beach and transportation. Not particularly friendly service. Free parking. which is nice, so you don't have to move the car for early morning street cleaning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The motel looks very nice inside, clean and spacious. It has a mini fridge and microwave. The manager was nice and attentive. The location is close to Ocean Beach. It is in Sunset District, in a residential neighborhood.

The motel did not look appealing at first, but the inside is nice. The manager said that they will remodel the facility. So I guess it will be even better in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Falls Church, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Pros - A good cleaning staff, a bright bathroom (not nice, just bright due to it having a skylight), easy access to the Muni (see below), and proximity card locks on the doors. It is near the beach and only a couple blocks from Golden Gate Park. The bed was actually OK (no bed bugs), if you can get to sleep.

Cons - LOUD! The rooms are about 50 feet from the Muni train line and they run from early morning till midnight or so. So every few minutes the room literally shakes as a train loudly goes by. Additionally, the hotel is over a bar, so loud and enebriated patrons spend the night outside yelling at each other till closing time around 2 am. The room itself was very old and run down. The entirety of the available power outlets were on a power strip running from behind the dresser. The window to the fire escape has a pretty wimpy latch, and should be pretty easy to open from outside. Luckily it's on the front of the building.

My wife didn't sleep the first night due to the noise, and we abandoned our paid room for something better before the second night. DON'T GO HERE unless you can sleep through a war.

Room Tip: Read other's reviews - if we had we'd have never gone to this place!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Doing the aids walk tomorrow so decided to stay the night to avoid the crowds and parking nightmare tomorrow. This was one of the only places left. I was $138 for the night which I didn't mind until we checked in. Room is so small the door bangs into the fridge when trying to come or go. Smashed mirror in bathroom and the wall heater does not have an off button. We got the last room so no use trying to change.

• Stayed July 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband ONLY because it was near the bay to breakers finish line. We didn't have many options and figured we wouldn't be in the room much at all... How bad can it be?

Terrible! I literally made myself sick because of how stressed out I was. The hotel is right next to a dive bar which made it very loud. We couldn't get our furnace to turn off. After calling the front desk repeatedly with no answer, my husband walked down. The employee told him to turn the pilot light off and said he had heart surgery so couldn't help. He also couldn't answer the phone?

Besides being hot and loud, the room had extremely old furniture. There was mold growing in the bathroom and the mirror was cracked and held together by masking tape. We took all the blankets off the bed as a precautionary measure and covered our pillows with our extra clothes.

At 6 am, there was a crash on our door like someone ran into it. I jumped up and freaked out. When I went back to bed I noticed there was a stain at the bottom of the sheet and I thought I was bleeding. I wasn't bleeding but there was blood on the sheet. Multiple splotches 1.5 in by 2 in.

We left for bay to breakers immediately and told the same hotel guy when we got back. He said we should have called because there was nothing to do now. But really, if we called he probably wouldn't have answered anyways.

I now need to fumigate my clothes and pray that I didn't catch a disease.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Beach Motel? Share your experiences!