“Gross” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Beach Motel

You added Beach Motel to your Saves list
Beach Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4211 Judah St, at 47th Ave, San Francisco, CA 94122 (Sunset)   |
Ranked #219 of 234 Hotels in San Francisco
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Gross”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Doing the aids walk tomorrow so decided to stay the night to avoid the crowds and parking nightmare tomorrow. This was one of the only places left. I was $138 for the night which I didn't mind until we checked in. Room is so small the door bangs into the fridge when trying to come or go. Smashed mirror in bathroom and the wall heater does not have an off button. We got the last room so no use trying to change.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband ONLY because it was near the bay to breakers finish line. We didn't have many options and figured we wouldn't be in the room much at all... How bad can it be?

Terrible! I literally made myself sick because of how stressed out I was. The hotel is right next to a dive bar which made it very loud. We couldn't get our furnace to turn off. After calling the front desk repeatedly with no answer, my husband walked down. The employee told him to turn the pilot light off and said he had heart surgery so couldn't help. He also couldn't answer the phone?

Besides being hot and loud, the room had extremely old furniture. There was mold growing in the bathroom and the mirror was cracked and held together by masking tape. We took all the blankets off the bed as a precautionary measure and covered our pillows with our extra clothes.

At 6 am, there was a crash on our door like someone ran into it. I jumped up and freaked out. When I went back to bed I noticed there was a stain at the bottom of the sheet and I thought I was bleeding. I wasn't bleeding but there was blood on the sheet. Multiple splotches 1.5 in by 2 in.

We left for bay to breakers immediately and told the same hotel guy when we got back. He said we should have called because there was nothing to do now. But really, if we called he probably wouldn't have answered anyways.

I now need to fumigate my clothes and pray that I didn't catch a disease.

• Stayed June 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The reservation process was quite easy, although the 48 hour cancellation notice is a bit annoying. We changed our plans as our vacation progressed and there was nothing we could do, so we accepted that. Upon arrival, we found the room to be older, but pretty clean and functional. The beds didn't appear to have bugs and there wasn't mold growing up the walls. We had a view of the ocean from our room, as well as a view of the streetcars that run down the street outside our window.

The heater was turned all the way down and we still had to leave a window open to regulate the temperature. Luckily one window did actually open, while the other almost fell off the third story when we tried to open it.

The sheets appeared clean and the bedspreads were fine. We couldn't sleep at all our first night due to all the noise from the street as well as the streetcars that passed on regular intervals. We chose to sleep on the floor of a friend for the second night so that we could actually sleep one of our nights during our stay in the city. We chalked the extra cost up to a casualty of poor planning. It would be well worth it to pay the extra dollars to stay at a bit more respectable hotel where one can actually sleep.

Room Tip: Choose one at a different hotel.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I reserved a room for New Year's Eve, but decide to change my plans. I cancelled two week and when I asked for a confirmation they told me they didn't do that, that I was cancelled on there part. So on New Year's Eve the manager called me and asked me when I was checking in. I told him what had happen, he was so rude! He told me he was charging me for the night no matter what. I was so angry. What kind if business are these people running!

Stayed December 2012
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during a recent trip to San Fran because we wanted to stay in an economical motel near to Ocean Beach so that we could go surfing and access the city by tram.
Positives
-Tram really convenient. Stops outside the motel front door and gets you downtown in 30minutes.
- Ocean beach area is pleasant with Surfside cafe, interesting residential houses to check out, beach very near by.
- Owner of the motel was helpful and polite at all times. He was willing to get out of bed to sort out a problem we had with our room. Owner offered to move us to room that was not directly above the pub which is situated under a part of this motel. We were not disturbed by any noise.
-Furniture in room could be considered retro. It is not entirely without charm (pink tiled bath suite and wooden sideboard have retro appeal). Unfortunately this furniture is not cared for, polished or made into a feature.
-Good amount of parking spaces.
-Seemed a relatively safe area to stay. Interesting contrast to downtown.
- Hot water and shower fine. Bathroom was acceptable in terms of cleanliness (contrast to dusty and shabby bedroom).

Negatives
- Bed bugs. We have stayed in lots of economy accommodation worldwide but have never been bitten by bed bugs so much before. My partner was bitten all over his face and we both received tell-tale lines of bites on our arms. The added problem of this was that we have now had to scrupulously launder all our clothes and suitcases back home, fearful the bed bugs might have hitched a ride with us. The bed was very old and rickety.
- The 'heater' smelled of gas and consisted of an orange gas flame behind a grill. We asked for this to be switched off fearful of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- The toilet blocked one morning and because we had been asking the owner for help to switch off the gas heater at 12pm the night before we decided to wait until we returned from our daytrip to ask for assistance with the toilet. Hotel staff discovered the blocked toilet over the course of the day and fixed it for us without us needing to request assistance but at the same time took away all our towels and did not replace. Since we were leaving the next morning and had been back and forth to the office for help we decided to use our beach towels the last evening.
- Very dark room with no natural light.
- Carpet very old, worn and dirty (could harbour more bed bugs). Floorboards underneath unsteady and rickety.

This place could be worth the $90 a night we paid if the bed and carpet is replaced and bed bugs eradictated. A deep clean of the room we stayed in was also well over due. Be totally clear in your mind what you are paying for if you choose to stay here, for us the hassle of making sure we don't transport any bed bugs to our home. I don't know anything about fires but the gas heater looked lethal to me, opt for it to be switched off to be safe. The owner does not try and pretend that he is offering anything more than he has in his motel, he let us look at the room first but I would never stay here again after our last two days. I hope that the pleasant owner spends some money upgrading this place because it could be a great motel!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor above the owner's living quarters,
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Many of this hotel's reviews are unjustified. The value is good for their modest prices. What do you expect from an economy hotel?? If you want EXCELLENT ratings, then it is simple... pay $300 or $400 at a high class hotel in downtown San Fran.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

Advantages:
- Free parking
- Near tram stop

Disadvantages:
- Completely overpriced
- Very limited free parking
- Filthy
- Falling apart and completely outdated
- Rude check in staff
- Security was non-existent
- No breakfast
- Miles from most attractions

Would I return? Absolutely not.

Room Tip: The higher the better - less chance of break ins as they will have to climb three flights of stairs!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple