“Terrific dinner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Luella - CLOSED

Luella
1896 Hyde St, San Francisco, CA 94109-2109 (Russian Hill)
415-674-4343
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Cross street: Green Street
Transit: The Hyde Street cable car stops right out front at Green Street.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Terrific dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful dinner. Pork chop was amazing, wellington perfectly cooked and salmon very tasty. Thoroughly enjoyed the wine. Service was excellent. Party of 5 including a 16, 9 and 7 year old... Younger ones were satisfied with a plain pasta entree. Would not recommend this place for kiddos who have trouble sitting through a meal. Wish we lived closer--- we would be regulars!

Houston,TX
“Amazing Gem of a Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We went to Luella with some friends who are locals because its their favorite "date night" place. I am so glad we went!

Luella like many SF restaurants allows you to bring your own bottles of wine (up to two) for a corkage fee which isn't too bad ( I think $15) so that was a perk of the meal.

The food here is beyond delicious. Below is a run down and description of what we had, all were amazing.

APPETIZERS
Ahi Tuna Tacos- Super tasty, the shell is like a potato chip and while at other places this can be a soggy dish, this was not. Perfect balance of acid salt and crispiness
Duck Con Fit Imperial Rolls-anytime you put duck con fit in something its going taste good and this was same. The sweet and sour sauce is home made with a nice acidic bite.
Polenta Fries-if you do not get these, you are missing out on a thing of beauty. The crispy outside and creamy goodness on the inside is one of the best bites I've had. They serve it with a marinara type sauce which goes perfectly.
Barata-I thought this was tasty enough to be a savory desert. The cheese was at that perfect level of chewiness and the addition of honey & nuts just made it the perfect bite.

MAIN COURSE
Coke a Cola Braised Short Rib-An off the menu order that is beyond filling and will leave you pleased. Its served over a white bean puree and the meat is super tender.
Short Rib Lasagna- I don't know if I could ever order anything on the menu besides this item because it was that amazing.

Visited June 2012
Foster City, California
“Wonderful Food & Attentive Service at a Warm, Neighborhood Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We went to Luella during Dine About Town and just loved the food and warm & attentive service. The Chef was walking around and speaking to guests. We had the duck confit rolls (extra), a romaine, radicchio and watercress with gorgonzola and walnuts in a red wine vinaigrette, potato-leek & almond soup w/ truffle oil, and Coca-Cola braised pork shoulder w/white bean puree & pickled red onions. For dessert, we had the chocolate panna cotta and a lovely & light banana cream pie. We did the wine pairing for an additional $17. The food was just delicious! The proportions were extremely generous for both food and wine. I would definitely return and wholeheartedly recommend Luella. I wish it was my neighborhood gem!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sacramento, California
“Great Beef Wellington and side dishes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I took my wife and two children to have dinner. The Beef Welington was out of this world! The brussel sprouts were delicious; Even my 11 year old ate them. We highly recommend this restaurant. All of our dishes were excellent. Make sure you have reservations made. It gets very busy.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Beef Wellington”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Nice neighborhood restaurant. The Beef Wellington was outstanding. Not at all the traditional preparation but it was delicious. I still remember it two months later.

Visited August 2011