“Not what it was?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Elements Hostel

Elements Hostel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Elements Hostel
Save Saved
You added Elements Hostel to your Saves list
2516 Mission St, Mission district, San Francisco, CA 94110 (Mission)   |
London, England, United Kingdom
“Not what it was?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

If the majority of reviews prior to this one are true then I can say with confidence that this hostel has changed significantly for the better. I have recently stayed here and there was absolutely no evidence of bed bugs, homeless people or bad service. The location was good, my room felt boxfresh and I thought the staff were helpful. I suspect that this hostel has been renovated recently and has completely cleaned up it's act.

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011 via mobile

Where do I start?! Firstly we had payed for a 12 bed doorm (their cheapest and largest room) when we got the room there where 14 beds in there, not a major thing id admit but it just adds to the shoddyness of the place.
The lock on the room was damaged and almost never shut.
The bathroom lock was damaged and rarely worked.
There werent enough underbed lockers for all of the beds.
There were bedbugs.
I slept in one bed for two nights untill i discovered a very old and smelly pile of vomit between the bed and the wall, after telling the management, i was given new bedding and told to switch beds (the vomit was still there when i left 6 days later).
One night they over booked the room and we were woken first by the people looking for their beds and then secondly when the lights where turned on by the receptionist and was asked for my receipt as proof of payment, this all happened at 3:30 in the morning. Eventually the two girls had to bunk together as they were told there is nothing that could be done (so there were 15 people in a 12 bed room that night).
Breakfast was a bagel with butter, if you wanted another bagel it would cost a dollar (plus no cups for coffee and tea just glasses and no milk)
Mission street is a dive but one block over on valencia is lovely. Dont avoid the area because of the terrible hostels, pay $2 and ride the street car down market street from a nice hostel downtown.

• Stayed October 2011
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

My partner has bed bug bites from head to toe (including on her face) from staying in this place. I'm lucky that bed bugs don't like me as much and I only have a few bites. Many other guests has similar experiences.

Room Tip: stay in another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011 via mobile

I only wish I would've discovered this place sooner.

• Stayed August 2011
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

All I really have to say about this hostel is that you get what you pay for. It is the second cheapest hostel in San Francisco, which is great, but it's not the best. I stayed there for about a week and the first night gave me over 100 bed bug bites all around my body. The vacation was definitely altered in a negative way, but they did pay for the Aloe Vera I lathered all across my body. Eh! You get what you pay for...

Room Tip: Dorms are a bed bug haven, so lean towards the private room accommodation
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

Bedbugs. And not apologetic about it - that's all I'm gonna say.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011 via mobile

There were bed bugs all over. The mattress was gross with yellow dusty smelling sheets and pillow cases. People from the night club underneath had access to the hallways of the hostel. Now im terrified to go home.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Elements Hostel? Share your experiences!