“You must experience this place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HRD Coffee Shop

HRD Coffee Shop
521A 3rd Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 (South Beach)
(415) 543-2355
Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Korean, Sandwiches
Neighborhood: South Beach
Neighborhood: South Beach
Walnut Creek, California
“You must experience this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have had the fortune to visit HRD many times over the past few years. It's a challenge to order anything except the Mongolian Cheesesteak or the Spicy Pork Kimchee Burrito because they are both 5 star treats. However, when I introduce this place to a new person, I always talk them in to sharing our meals. That way I can order one of these "go-to" items and try something new new, splitting the order with my friend.
With my latest trip I took my son. We ordered the Mongolian Cheesesteak and the Smothered Curry Chicken Katsu Burrito. Of course the cheesesteak rated 5. I don't think I've ever eaten better seasoned beef in my life. The burrito was huge and pretty good. I'll give it a 4.
If you haven't been to HRD, go early (11:30) to avoid the line that always extends out the door.

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

93% Recommend
“Asiam fusiom done right! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

No gimmicks and not dressed up fusion to charge you a few extra bucks, just great food for a great price. My wife saw this on DDD and her love of mexican and kim chi made this a must try. This 2nd generation couple have done a great job merging their american and asian heritage into some excellent dishes. Everything is seasoned very well and great friendly and efficient operation. If you are looking for a 5 star setting this is not for you but if you just want to taste something delicious and innovative at great prices do make a stop at HDR!

Maine, USA
“Better really like garlic here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife insisted we find this place after seeing the DDD episode and I confess, kimchee burritos sounded interesting, although I've never had kimchee before. It's not easy for an out of towner to get to SOMA, but after a long and circuitous bus trip we managed to find HRD on a beautiful, sunny, breezy afternoon.

I generally prefer eating in small, local hole in the wall places like this more than my wife, so I was pretty glad she was interested in some cheap eats for a change. I'd seen softshell crab sandwiches in their online menu and had already decided that's what I wanted, but alas, no joy, they didn't have them any more.

Thinking to try something completely spontaneous, I asked a customer what the big bowl of stuff with a fried egg on top she was eating was and ordered one, a short rib bibimbap.

Just before my first mouthful I caught the whiff, but went ahead and ate it anyway. I'm not a huge fan of overgarliced anything, and apparently garlic is a major food group here. I forced down a few more bites of leathery/ sinewy cross cut short ribs and tried to get my mouth around the other ingredients in the bowl- rice, kimchee and some green veggy I couldn't identify, possibly spinach, and a hard fried egg, but pretty much the only flavor I got was garlic.

The owner, noticing that I didn't finish my bowl and being told I didn't really care for it, kindly offered to replace it with anything else on the menu for free, but I declined, already wishing I'd brought my floss and toothbrush with me.

So if by exotic and exciting fresh flavor combinations, as so many people have commented on here, you mean garlic with a lovely garlic sauce and a side of garlic, then this place is for you.

I'm not a big fan, but I wish them well. They obviously have a devoted fan base, none of whom I ever wish to be stuck in a confined space with.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Snohomish, Washington
“A must in san fran!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Dont judge this place by its cover. I saw this on triple D and wanted to stop by on my trip to san fran. Probably the best tacos i've ever had!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“Different, amazing, exploding flavors”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I shared the Spicy Pork Kimchee burrito (with kiwi). It was so unbelieveably flavorful. It's a great little stop, the food was out in like 2 minutes, and their hot sauce was awesome. I would definitely recommend, and will definitely return. It looks like a dive, but the food is just awesome. Everyone else's plates looked amazing, and the menu was creative and I wanted to order everything. We went on a Monday at 11:30 am, and there was no line. Five minutes later, there was a 20-person line out the door.

• Visited August 2013