“Ok Dim Sum” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Golden River

Golden River
5827 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94121-2004 (The Richmond)
415-668-5105
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Wuhan, China
“Ok Dim Sum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

This restaurant with it`s somewhat unappealing name, serves nicely priced Dim Sum and Lunch specials on a budget and an extensive a la carte. I went for Dim Sum and had an array of the steamed variety. Lamb Siu Mai sounded interesting as I`d never had any sort of Lamb dumpling before, and know that the Chinese aren`t generally overkeen on it. It was ok, but probably not the best choice for my palate for breakfast. Shrimp with Dried scallop was very good aswell as the Shrimp Siu Mai. The dumplings were hot and quite generous in portion size. Everything arrived quickly, which was probably due to the fact that there was only one other table occupied during my visit.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“Cantonese food, inexpensive and good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Whenever you see all Asians at a restaurant, as a tourist, just go in and try the food. This is that kind of restaurant. A local favorite for dim sum and inexpensive Cantanose food.

Visited February 2012
Los Osos, California
“Superb dim sum at a great price, but poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

If you are new to dim sum, bring someone who has some expertise. The dim sum is not brought around in carts at this restaurant; they bring a menu, so diners must know what they like.

The food is superb, especially the deep-fried shrimp balls and the crab claw/shrimp balls.

We had some trouble getting anyone to wait on us, perhaps because we were two Anglo women? Be assertive if the staff ignore you!

Great food at a great price.

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Arkansas
“Decent dim sum in a clean restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

Background: My best friend and I stumbled upon this restaurant on a Tuesday afternoon. We had read some reviews on Yelp and the restaurant that had 4* ratings and lots of reviews only served dim sum until 2 p.m. Anyway, we decided to venture to Geary Street, since there are many restaurants and we thought this way, we will definitely satisfy some dim sum cravings.

We were there on a Tuesday at about 2:30 p.m. We were seated very quickly; the restaurant was not too busy. Its customers at this time were mostly Asians. Service was decent. The man there (I am assuming he is the boss or the manager) was friendly, and made small talk with his customers. I ordered a pot of tea - which was serve hot and promptly. Parking wasn't too bad on this day at this time.

The dishes and reviews are as follow:
1) Seafood chow fun ($7) - At one glance, it looked pretty pale and I wasn't quite used to pale chow fun (or hor fun). But once I sank my teeth in it, YUMMO! It had a nice smoky flavor - probably they did have a good fire when cooking that. Delicious. Full of shrimps, scallops, calamari, vegetables, and mushrooms and some ginger slices.

2) Siew mai ($2 for 4). Very good. I think we had the pork ones, I am not sure, but it did have a shrimp at the very bottom of it. It was juicy and very flavorful. And I am not usually a siew mai person. My bestfriend, who is not a siew mai fan, thought it was really good.

3) Egg yolk bun ($2 for 3). I didn't know what to expect since this was my first time having them. I thought it was a little dry. My BFF thought it wasn't the best she has tried. She said a good egg yolk bun is supposed to some have egg yolk oozing out of the bun.

4) Pan Fried turnip cake ($2 for 3 or 4???). This was the bomb! It was nicely pan fried some it was slight crispy on one side. Very very smooth, very very yummy. Taste just as good as what my mom makes!

5) Haw Gow (shrimp dumplings) ($2.80 for 4). YUMMY! The dumpling skin was not too thick and the filling was ample. It was even a little juicy too. We loved this.

6) Steamed minced pork dumplings - Shanghai style. ($2.80 for 4). Not the best. The dumpling skin was thicker than the other places I have tried, and there weren't any yummy broth in the dumplings. I am used to those whereby delicious broth will pop in your mouth when you bite into it. My BFF shared the same sentiments.

7) Shrimp with parsley dumpling ($2.80 for 4). Good. It was on par like the shrimp dumpling. The parsley gave it some freshness. :)

8) Deep fried meat turnover (forgot the price for 4). It was greasy. I can't give a good review for this because we had it in a to-go box and by the time we get the chance to eat it, it wasn't crispy and warm anymore and it was a little soggy. It was doughy and had not enough filling. The dough was sweet but the filling was savory. Interesting combination.

9) Roast duck (forgot the price). Delicious. It was good. Chinese know how to prepare duck!!! :)

Additional information: Ask for the chili oil - they go so well with the dim sum dishes. The chili oil was good!!!!! We left feeling very fulfilled and satisfied

• 4 of 5 stars Food