“My new favorite SF hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Stunning Waterfront Views
Ranked #29 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Newport Beach, California
“My new favorite SF hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Close to our corporate headquarters this hotel was suggested by our travel department. I used to stay at some of the larger chains which are a bit further away so I decided to try this hotel and I am very glad I did. This is a very clean, modern hotel with helpful staff and a convenient location. The bar is big and can be crowded with a mostly professional crowd. Waitress service can be slow so unless you sit at the bar expect it to take a while to get a drink. Food is good but not spectacular, certainly acceptable for a quick breakfast or lunch.

A few of my favorite restaurants are within a stone's throw from this place as is at least 3 Starbucks so for business travel it is ideal for me. For leisure travel I wouldn't hesitate to take my wife here but I'm not sure this is the best choice for a large family (although I have not tried this.)

Room Tip: If you are new to the city or in SF for leisure, ask for a bridge view room!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear PermaJetLag:

I’m glad to hear that we are in a convenient location for your business needs as well as your favorite restaurants! We would be happy to welcome you and your wife next time you are in town for a getaway—a trip to Spa Vitale definitely helps to get into vacation mode. See you both soon!

Antoine Berberi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed 4 nights in June.
Excellent side room on the 5th floor with great view of Bay Bridge.
Very comfortable bed.
On the edge of financial district and opposite Ferry Building this hotel is in a great position for a stay in San Francisco.
Particular thanks to the concierge,Steve, who gave us very helpful advice regarding restaurants, transport,places to visit etc.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Geoff033:

I am delighted to hear that your Hotel Vitale experience was altogether excellent. The views of the bay are quite popular year round, and our beds are not only comfortable, they are famous—take a look at the ceiling in Americano next time you visit to see them featured in “The Dreamers” series. I will be sure to let Steve know that his suggestions improved your trip, it is always wonderful to know when your work is appreciated. Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again next time you are visiting California.

Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Lovely staff. Great location, right across from the Ferry Building. Beautiful room overlooking the bridge. Very nice terraces on 5th and 7th floors (sometimes reserved for private events.)
Lively cafe for afternoon tea (or happy hour... more frequently, so it seemed.)

Room Tip: Try to get a high floor to avoid the noise from the bar. The bridge view room had a lovely view. Ni...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear AmyLipton:

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear that your Hotel Vitale experience was altogether lovely. With the Ferry Building, terraces, and an Americano visit, it sounds like the only thing you weren’t able to experience was Spa Vitale! Well, I hope we can entice you with a lovely massage and Bathing Ritual next time you are here—looking forward to welcoming you back.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed here as part of our West coast trip down from British Columbia

We had booked a room through our agents, which should have been 'superior with water view'

What we got was a room on the second floor (our first floor) overlooking The Embacadero with a shot of water view between the buildings opposite, and the hotel patio which was extended onto the pavement. There was a function on the patio each night, right outside our window, culminating in a disco on the last night, which really intruded on our privacy as you could not keep curtains open otherwise guests on the patio could see right in!

Our deluxe room was actually a room for a disabled person, with disabled access facilities in the bathroom which was larger than normal, and two Queen size beds in the sleeping area. When we enquired as to why we had a disabled access room we were told that was because we wanted a water view (there were at least four more floors above ours so I'm not sure why we had the one we did. I don't know what a standard room looked like.

The decor in the hotel was drab and dreary, not at all welcoming, with a large unfriendly grille separating the lounge area and restaurant from the large empty reception area. The hotel is part of the Joie de Vivre group, but this particular hotel seemed to have missed out!

On the plus side the staff were very helpful. When we arrived early they made sure we could book in with minimum delay. It had been my birthday a few days earlier and we had a bottle of bubbly and some wine delivered to our room, which was very welcome. The concierge, Keith, was also very helpful answering our numerous queries and when we commented on the noise and disturbance in our room, our in-house dining bill was waived.

All in all, I'm sure there are far worse hotels in San Francisco but if you do stay here - the location is about 15 minutes walk from Union Square and right opposite the refurbished Ferry House, with lots going on (good breakfast at The Market Place, which had much more atmosphere than the hotel restaurant - make sure you have a room at least on the third floor or above

Room Tip: If you want a water view, with some privacy ask for a room on third floor or above. Remember these...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear JackiR143:

I am sorry to hear that your room was not as you had expected—if you would like to contact myself or our reservations department directly, we will be happy to indicate your preference for a quiet, non-accessible room on your profile. Our hotel design incorporates the calming tones and textures of nature, which is intended to be relaxing and rejuvenating for our guests. If that is not the atmosphere you felt, I will make a note to review our décor the next time we have an opportunity for a refresh. I am so glad to hear that you were able to connect with our front desk and concierge teams—they always have such wonderful and personalized recommendations for our guests. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon for a nice quiet stay.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I last stayed 7 years ago and didn't love the Vitale. This time I really enjoyed it. The rooms are good size with comfy beds. The bathroom is modern with good products. The location continues to be great. The only down fall was the women at the front desk. On 2 separate occasions I asked simple questions and was given slight attitude. If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked almost came out of my mouth..... All other staff were great and helpful

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear livinginlondon1344:
First of all, thank you for staying with us again, seven years ago we were still quite new, so it is good to hear that we have improved! It is wonderful to know that you enjoyed your room—there’s nothing like a comfy bed to recover from jet lag in after such a long trip. Alternatively, I am disappointed to hear that your front desk interactions were not up to our standard of service—we will be sure to review our standards with the team. We hope to see you again soon—hopefully in less than seven years!

Stortford UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in November 2013 for Business. Great smooth check in and excellent view of the Bay Bridge.

Room was spacious and clean with a lovely big bathroom and I had a view of one of the side buildings and street which was fine. Good location easy to walk to the ferry building and only a 20 minute walk down to Fisherman's Wharf.

Staff really friendly and enjoyed a light bar snack in the bar which was great. Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear gemmaharroduk:
I am so glad that your stay with us last year was excellent. We do have a great deal of business travelers because we are in the Financial District and so close to many corporate offices. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope you will get a chance to stay with us for leisure next time.

La Quinta, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised at every aspect. They checked us in 2 hours early; every person we encountered was courteous; hotel decor beautiful and room spotless. Then the location....crosswalk away from Boulevard, Ferry building and walking distance of many notable restaurants. If there is a negative ..I would find parking elsewhere as only parking is valet @55.00 per day. Best night to be there is Friday with very hopping bar inside and out...next morning walk to farmers market at Ferry Building.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Cindy V:
I am happy to hear that our team was accommodating and aesthetics pleasing to you. My apologies if our valet price seems high, but parking can be quite a challenge in San Francisco, and you will find that our overnight valet cost quite comparable with other downtown hotels. Friday nights are quite busy for us and especially on warm evenings, you would be hard pressed to find a more popular place than the Americano patio. Thank you for considering us your “SF Favorite” and we look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Antoine Berberi

Been to Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!