“Superb views and location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (Financial District)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #28 of 236 hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Stratford upon Avon
“Superb views and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at the end of May. Upgrade to a Bay view - it is really worth it at night for the light show on the Bay Bridge. There can be a lot more noise at the front (there was a wedding and a couple of other parties when we were there) but it all seems to stop in good time - hotel management consider all their guests. Rooms are very comfortable and modern. You are right opposite the Ferry terminal so ideal for getting to Alcatraz or the other ports across the Bay. The only aspect of the hotel which wasn't good was the lack of coffee/tea making in the room. Yes, there is a tea/coffee facility in the reception area but it's only there for a while in the morning and it was never quite hot enough. Also be careful of the "resort charge" which has just been introduced - they tried to charge us an extra $30 per night at check-out but rescinded after I said we had booked some time ago and this was not explained.

Room Tip: A Bay Bridge view is a must for the light show at night
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Robert17:
You are absolutely right about the views—they are fantastic during the night for the Bay Lights as well as during the day for watching boats float on by. We do have our events and restaurant close down in a timely manner so our guests have the opportunity for a peaceful night’s sleep. The Ferry Building is wonderful for transportation as well as all the shops and restaurants. If in-room coffee would make your stay—you are absolutely welcome to request a coffee maker at the front desk and they will have one placed in your room. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Bay Area.

878 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I'm from London but we love SF - and we do a lot of business here so spend time in lots of hotels. This is by far the best we've stayed in because it's got nice roomy rooms and feels stylish and modern. The greatest draw is where it's located. Our room had a view of the Bay Bridge which was mesmerising throughout my jet lag nights! You also walk across the road to the Embarcadero and watch the world go by. It's also a short walk to Moscone Centre, infact it's convenient to everything. Plus the best restaurants in SF are outside the door so every day you can find another spectacular restaurant right on your doorstep. They also have lovely outside decks to relax on a great bar too. The restaurant looked a bit boring and lacklustre so I'd bypass it for all the other great ones outside. We will be back!

Room Tip: Go for a Bay Bridge room you won't regret it - infact it's a must!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Yvonne016:
It is so flattering to hear that Hotel Vitale is the best from such an experienced traveler! The Bay Lights at night can be quite soothing to watch. I am sorry that you had to be jet lagged to experience them—though I understand the time difference from London to San Francisco is definitely a tough one to adjust to. I do invite you to try Americano on your next visit—I promise you the food is anything but lackluster.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend away. Beautiful hotel. Concierge desk was wonderful. Location is in the Embarcadero District right across the street from the market. We grabbed our breakfast in the morning and loved the atmosphere in this area of town.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear cglick:
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your quick getaway. I will gladly pass along your sentiments to our Concierge team. The Ferry Building Farmer’s Market is amazing on Saturday mornings—and the permanent Ferry Building vendors are definitely worth a visit too. You could eat every meal there during your weekend and still not try everything—but there’s always next visit!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed here on a friend's recommendation. I usually stay in 4-5 star hotels. The hotel Vitale was a nice as much more expensive places that I have stayed in San Francisco. It has a cool, chic vibe without being cold and impersonal like many "modern" look hotels. The room was quite large, well appointed and very clean with very nice toiletries. Its right across from the Terminal Market with easy access to the Bay Bridge and several other neighborhoods (I had to go to Treasure Island and Berkeley while there so this was perfect). I would say that on the weekends, the surrounding neighborhood was pretty quiet, with not many stores and restaurants open but the Terminal Market is fantastic. Highly recommneded

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear AdamsNYC:
It is always gratifying to hear that we were suggested by a friend—that is the best way to know that someone truly appreciates your hotel. The aesthetic reflects our natural surroundings in order to create a peaceful environment for our guests. I would definitely consider us convenient for transportation across the bay. Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Walking through the entrance, one is surrounded by impeccable taste and elegance. The location is fabulous. The ability to get up and walk across the road and witness the San Francisco waterfront in all its glory is priceless. I was greeted with warmth and had no problem changing my room when I discovered there was no bath (being English by birth, I do like to bathe!). My room was upgraded which was also extremely nice.

I have to admit to being just a little disappointed in the room. It felt rather businesslike in decor and furniture choice, but it was clean and airy, with windows that opened. The bath was wonderful - which is always nice :) The bed was a king bed I think, but it seemed more like a queen, and I would also say I have had more comfortable nights in other hotel beds! The bath and hair products are wonderful, and I do like to stay in a hotel where I don't necessarily have to bring shampoo and conditioner for fear of stripping my hair of any goodness at all! The lighting area outside the bathroom was great for applying makeup and the shower had excellent strength.

I think my problem may lie in the price I paid for the room. My final bill came to over $400 - with parking charges and resort fee (for which I really received no benefit at all - not even water in the room). I do hate imposed resort fees when tax etc. is already so much.

Staff were friendly but a little aloof - that may be by design, and I don't necessarily have a problem with that but I know if you are looking for warm and fuzzy service, this observation may be of use to you. I also travel so much for work that I am possibly a little jaded when it comes to hotel rating - it is akin to going to Disneyland too many times! After a few visits you start picking at the holes!

Room Tip: If a bath is important, be sure to mention this at checkin
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Abbe L:
I am pleased to hear “impeccable taste and elegance” as a descriptor for our hotel—one of our guiding philosophies is “Luxury, Naturally” and can be observed throughout the property. If a luxurious bathing experience is important to you, you should visit our spa next time for a Bathing Ritual in one of our infinity soaking tubs on the private terrace. Thank you for your feedback and I do hope that we will see you again the next time you are in San Francisco.

Woodside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Loved this hotel. From the attentive staff to the nice options for midnight snacks in the rooms.

I would struggle to find any negative about the hotel itself. As for the location - it's a nice little area in the financial dist, but it's an adventure trying to park around this area... Esp with B2B going on

• Stayed May 2014
Dear R H:
Thank you for your kind words. I have to agree about our mini-bar options—the Spiced Almond Carmel Corn is a great sweet and spicy midnight snack! I think that parking is an adventure nearly everywhere in San Francisco, but we do have a wonderful valet team that can take the stress out of parking next time you visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Just spent the night at hotel Vitale. Location is across the street from the Ferry Building marketplace, one of my favorite spots. Good view of the water and the Bay Bridge at night. Went to a game at AT&T Park. Best part is that we could walk to the game too.

This is a,nice boutique hotel with good service and a pleasant restaurant and bar in the lobby. We upgraded to a room with a view, why not in such a great location. There is a rooftop spa but didn't enjoy it on this trip.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the water. Corner room was nice.
Green Features: This is SF after all. Lots of natural light. LEEDS Silver rating.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Cowgirltripper:
The Ferry Building is a great neighbor to have—for everything from dining to transportation. A stroll along the Embarcadero to the Giant’s game is one of the best ways to get to the ballpark—especially as you are passing all the people stuck in traffic on their way to the same place. I am glad that your time with us was enjoyable and hope you will be able to enjoy the spa on your next trip.

Antoine Berberi

Been to Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!