“Excellent Stay at the Hotel Vitale” 5 of 5 stars

Weekend Rates from $299
Ranked #27 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Excellent Stay at the Hotel Vitale”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Vitale for three nights last week. We really loved the convenience of the location. It's across the street from Boulevard Restaurant and a block away from the Ferry Building Marketplace. It is also a few blocks away from the Embarcadero BART station.

On our first day, the hotel welcomed us by sending us wine and a cheese/fruit plate. We were pleasantly surprised and it was delicious.

We really enjoyed the morning coffee and tea setup in the lobby. Plus being a tea drinker, I was really impressed that they served quality tea - Mighty Leaf Tea.

There is a small, 24 hour fitness room which we both used during our stay. I really enjoyed the free morning yoga but on our last day, it was cancelled. Treasure was our yoga instructor on the mornings that it was available. It was so nice to have personalized yoga instruction with a few of the waterfront in the room that we used. We also used the business center a few times, which was on the same floor as the fitness center.

The staff was very nice and friendly. Our maid was okay. One day we returned to a clean room but she forgot to replenish the bathroom supplies. Another day, the maid forgot to remove the dirty utensils and glasses that we used. Otherwise, the room was always clean.

The bed was very comfortable so we always slept really well.

Also, it was the Stanley Cup playoffs and some hotels don't have many cable channels, but Hotel Vitale had the other sports channels as well! We were so excited that we were able to watch the hockey playoff games in our room.

I would love to stay here again when I return to San Francisco!

Room Tip: We had a partial waterfront view overlooking the Bay Bridge.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear sfslinky,
I would absolutely say that our location is one of the most convenient and beautiful you can find in the city. I am glad you enjoyed our tea selection, we always try to keep things local and Mighty Leaf Tea was actually started by a husband-and-wife team in San Francisco. Thank you for attending our morning yoga sessions—they are the best way to wake up and begin your day. As a part of our “Green Dreams” sustainability program, we replenish bath products only when necessary. If your amenities have not been replaced, please let us know and we will be happy to send some up. We look forward to welcome you back when you return to San Francisco!

Antoine Berberi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I expected a top quality hotel with elegant service after I had been referred to this hotel. What I found upon arrival was quite disappointing. The first room I was given (an actual upgraded room) had worn, cheap furniture and one piece was actually broken - with a door hanging off. My new room had the same quality , just no damage. During the middle of my light meal, sitting at the restaurant bar, a bartender ( not the one who had served me) walked over, reached across my plate - while I even had a forkful of food - grabbed a lemon wedge and proceeded to squeeze it all over my food. I was half way through my dish and he just leaned in and started messing with it! Runnier a nice quiet meal. The rest of the stay was up eventful but not pleasurable and, for the price, very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear kaodonnell,
First and foremost, allow me to offer my sincere apologies for your less than perfect stay with us. I can assure that we have an ongoing preventative maintenance program for our rooms and always appreciate feedback on what we can do to improve. Additionally, I am appalled at your dining experience—please know that it not typical of how we serve our guests. I will be sure to address this with our food and beverage team. Please contact me directly next time you are visiting San Francisco, and I hope you will give us another chance to earn back your trust

Best,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Mixed feelings.
Staff were lovely, room was clean and accessorised nicely, bed was big and comfy, ground floor bar was the place to be.
However ... room was noisy (don't attempt to sleep in), B grade business centre, restaurant disappointed with poor menu, and the room stay was generally over-priced.
May return, however am likely to look beyond.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Tastytucker,
I am so glad to hear that your room was enjoyable and Vitale team made your stay with us comfortable. On the other hand, I am disappointed to learn that some aspects of your stay and dining experience were not as you had expected. Please contact me directly to discuss how we could have made a better overall impression on you.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Although check in was very pleasant and housekeeping excellent, I would have to say that this hotel concentrates more on its bar business than anything else. That's their main focus from my perspective as a guest. Case in point is room service , if you can call it that, in evening. Takes FOREVER. So long I called to cancel it and was told they are super busy with bar as if that is okay when you are waiting close to an hour for two glasses of wine. Ended up feeling like asking anyone for anything at this hotel is putting them out. So almost 8 days here and interact less and less with the hotel staff. Housekeeping again is great but they ration shampoo and soap like I have never seen before. Right down to the pint I thought I was going to have to meg for some but the turn down service go ally came to the rescue. But the housekeeping is excellent for the most part. Location is our main reason for staying here. Great if you run or want to use the YMCA to work out few doors down from hotel. The hotel says it has a spa. But clearly hard to tell what that means seeing they don't market it well. Again, they want as little to do with sleepover guests as possible . They love their bar patrons! That's what this place is all about. Crazy loud crowds or business people. Just so you know what you are getting into.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear TJENYC,
I am very disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not as you had expected. Please know that your room service wait is not typical and I will be sure to address it with the team. As a part of our “Green Dreams” sustainability program, we replace bath amenities only when needed. If they have not been replaced, please let the front desk know and they will ensure you receive new bath products. Our spa is on the eighth floor and is open daily, be sure to visit for a Thai Herbal Infusion or The Bathing Ritual next time. Please be aware that all of our guests are extremely important to us—the restaurant can be quite busy at times, but that does not change our standard of guest service. I do hope you will keep that in mind on your next trip to San Francisco and give us another chance to impress you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We just got home from a very short stay. One night at the hotel. We decided to visit San Francisco for my 50th birthday. Neither my husband nor myself had ever been. We asked some friends that had lived there for a hotel recommendation. They suggested this one because of the location and company. We were definitely not disappointed. We did not dine in the restaurant because of the menu choices (nothing appealed to us--although I am sure it was good). Our only complaint was the lack of coffee/tea in the room (not even in the lobby). It was no problem to go to the Ferry Building, however I enjoy coffee in the morning while I get ready. The hotel was clean and staff was very friendly. Convenient to all forms of transportation.

Room Tip: if you are not planning on spending much time in your room, the inside rooms are quiet, less expensi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Karen B,
Happy Belated Birthday and thank you for sharing it with us! Americano does base their menu on fresh, seasonal ingredients, so if you were not interested in the spring menu items, be sure to check back next time you stay with us. We do have coffee and tea available in the lobby every morning, just ask our front desk team and they will point you in the right direction. Our terraces are the perfect way to enjoy the outdoors and bay views without leaving the city. We hope to see you again for your birthday next year!

Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We turned up at the hotel totally exhausted and bedraggled from our trip up from Los Angeles. We were greeted with nothing but friendliness and courtesy by the staff. Checking in was extremely easy. The room was clean and comfortable. We ordered room service for dinner because we were so tired, and it was very quick. Our room was only on the second floor, so not much of a view, but who spends all day in their hotel on vacation? The location is great, right on the Embarcadero. My husband and I stayed with our kids, age 12 and 14. It was awesome for them, and I imagine it would be with younger kids as well. Definitely recommend!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Tami R,
I am gratified to hear that the Vitale team was able to make your stay comfortable from welcome to ensuring everyone is happy and fed. I hope your family had a chance to visit the new Exploratorium that is just a short walk down the Embarcadero—it has so much to investigate and could keep your kids (and you!) entertained all day. In any case, I hope to see you all again soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed here for 5 days on business and found the service to be impeccable-especially the concierge- great restaurant recommendations and each concierge went above and beyond this diva's social needs- I didn't have the greatest of views and have to say- the bathroom was a little unremarkable- I'm used to walk in showers or at the very least- rounded shower curtains that don't molest you when you are taking a shower-(see pictures of bathroom). Liked this hotel and I'll be selecting it for #Dreamforce in November. Did not like the hotel restaurant -Americano- very understaffed during happy hour when the weather was nice but it the waitress was wonderful and very accommodating- it was just unfortunate that they didn't have more staff available when they were mobbed at the outside bar. The food was meh- however. Booze was a-ok!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear LHO2024,
Our Concierge Department is always striving to create a meaningful stay for our guests. In fact, they were quoted in Conde Nast Traveler as “the most intuitive and thoughtful concierges in the United States”. I am sorry to hear that your experience in our restaurant was not on par with the concierge department. We will work on improving before you return in November for Dreamforce—we look forward to welcoming you back.

Antoine Berberi

Been to Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!