“Love this hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (Financial District)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #26 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Love this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here for three days and loved the staff who were always incredibly helpful. The location across the road from the Ferry building is superb especially on weekends when the farmers market is on.
However, a few small issues. The hotel furniture in the rooms is getting worn and tatty. The bathrooms also need updating. Overall for the price you're not getting what your could expect for the rate being charged.
Still would recommend though due to the staff and location. A wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Ensure higher floor if possible as the road is busy
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HotelVitaleGM, Director of Rooms at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Alexanderfz:
I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as our convenient location. The Ferry Building and Farmer’s Market are fantastic for local produce—it is actually where we shop for a great deal of the fresh ingredients used in our menu. Also, I appreciate your bringing the furniture condition to my attention. We do have an ongoing preventative maintenance program, and feedback on where to direct our efforts is always helpful. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Francisco.

Hotel Vitale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Roanoke, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is a nice, clean well-appointed hotel in a great location, friendly staff---but expensive. My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Vitale expecting a "boutique" hotel experience at this price, but were disappointed. The room was small, and we had problems with wifi and temperature regulation among other minor issues, and the room view was of a graveled air-conditioner unit rooftop. This would have all been acceptable at a less expensive hotel. My suggestion would be either to pay more and upgrade to a Ritz/Four Seasons/Mandarin type of experience, or pay less - probably half at a larger hotel chain- and spend the money on one of San Francisco's many amazing dining experiences.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
roavatraveler T:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, it is through this direct feedback that we are able to continuously improve our guest experience. We are quite proud of our convenient and beautiful location as well as our helpful team members. That being said, I am sorry to hear that your time with us did not live up to your expectations, please contact me directly to discuss the issues you experienced during your stay.

My apologies,

Santa Barbara
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I (along w/ his brother and sister-in-law from Poland) spent 2 nights- sharing a water view double queen. This hotel is a bit pricey, so sharing a room was a must.

This is the 3rd time my husband and I have stayed at this hotel, and it is always perfect. Clean, and hip w/ a great-location. The service is prompt and professional...Maria in guest services even arranged for a special welcome gift for my husband, which was so sweet.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, always book a direct water-view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
tlssantabarbara:
It is always nice to receive feedback from a return traveler and I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your time with us at Hotel Vitale. I passed along your gratitude to Maria and she was thrilled to hear that her efforts were appreciated. We all look forward to your next visit to Northern California.

Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Hotel Vitale is situated in an ideal position on Mission Street, providing easy access to most places of attractions in the San Francisco area. It didn't take long for me to be checked in on arrival and service was prompt. The room I stayed in was very clean and well furnished, and I'm tempted to think that all rooms in the hotel were like that. The main problem I noticed about the Vitale was that the bayfront room tended to be rather noisy due to activities in the outdoor bar and traffic.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dustin_8M:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, it is always wonderful to hear that our front desk team was efficient and your room was to your liking. I am sorry to hear that the sounds from the Embarcadero disrupted your stay—I like to think that this area is considerably quieter than other parts of the city, but noise is unfortunately difficult to avoid in the city. On your next visit to San Francisco, please contact me directly and I will ensure you receive a quiet room.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you have made it to this review. Stop searching now and just book a room. There is no where else you should stay in SF. I felt welcome from the second I walked in. Excellent service at every interaction. Well appointed room. Very Comfortable bed and pillows. Top notch restaurant. There is not a better location in downtown. Helpful, smart staff. Sometimes upscale hotels are unnecessarily "stuffy".. This is not the case at Hotel Vitale. You feel comfortable, almost like home. You've heard the expression, "I left my heart in San Francisco".. Well I left half of mine in the city and half in Hotel Vitale. The only negative is that you will inevitably have to turn your key back in. An absolute pleasure. Eat at the restaurant at least once. Go to the Farmers Market across the street on Saturday morning. Ride the F-line. Most importantly.. Stay at Vitale.

• Stayed September 2013
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
ScienceSales:
Thank you for your glowing review, this just made my entire day! It is wonderful to hear that your stay with us was altogether excellent. If Hotel Vitale and Americano were able to capture half of your heart this visit, try Spa Vitale on your next visit to round out your experience. The Bathing Ritual paired with a Warm Bamboo Renewal is sure to capture your whole heart! Thanks again for your thoughtful words and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Francisco.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I don't have anything bad to say about this hotel. I would highly recommend Hotel Vitale to others looking to stay in San Francisco. The hotel is within walking distance to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, plus transportation to Market Street. I was allocated a room with a disabled ensuite which was excellent because the batheroom was extra spacious. The staff were friendly and accommodating. It was a great stay to end my vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
AnaRCV:
Thank you for your kind review—our location is very convenient for getting around the city and it is wonderful that you enjoyed the relaxing stroll along the Embarcadero to Fisherman’s Wharf. That stretch of the waterfront is an especially nice walk if you are able to catch a glimpse of the America’s Cup races! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Vitale and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next vacation to the Bay Area.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed here for a two-day trip and it exceeded my expectations. I was able to get a suit pressed for the same day after an early arrival and the concierge was very helpful with restaurant recommendations. Valet parking was simple and efficient, hotel bar had an attentive bartender. Room was clean and amenities were high quality - boutique toiletries and a particularly comfortable bathrobe made from a sort of soft dri-fit material. Location near the Ferry Building was extremely convenient and the reason I chose to stay there in the first place. All in all, a very upscale and professional operation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
suffolkblueline:
I am gratified to hear that we were able to surpass your expectations. Our team works diligently to ensure that every guest experience is relaxing and revitalizing, so I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the team. Our proximity to the Ferry Building is a favorite among foodies—we actually source the majority of Americano’s fresh, organic produce from local Ferry Building vendors. We hope to see you again next time business brings you to San Francisco.

Alex Novo

Been to Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!