“Perfect location!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Santa Barbara
“Perfect location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

My husband and I (along w/ his brother and sister-in-law from Poland) spent 2 nights- sharing a water view double queen. This hotel is a bit pricey, so sharing a room was a must.

This is the 3rd time my husband and I have stayed at this hotel, and it is always perfect. Clean, and hip w/ a great-location. The service is prompt and professional...Maria in guest services even arranged for a special welcome gift for my husband, which was so sweet.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, always book a direct water-view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HotelVitaleGM, Director of Rooms at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
tlssantabarbara:
It is always nice to receive feedback from a return traveler and I am glad that you and your family enjoyed your time with us at Hotel Vitale. I passed along your gratitude to Maria and she was thrilled to hear that her efforts were appreciated. We all look forward to your next visit to Northern California.

Dan Burgess
Director of Rooms

878 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Hotel Vitale is situated in an ideal position on Mission Street, providing easy access to most places of attractions in the San Francisco area. It didn't take long for me to be checked in on arrival and service was prompt. The room I stayed in was very clean and well furnished, and I'm tempted to think that all rooms in the hotel were like that. The main problem I noticed about the Vitale was that the bayfront room tended to be rather noisy due to activities in the outdoor bar and traffic.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dustin_8M:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us, it is always wonderful to hear that our front desk team was efficient and your room was to your liking. I am sorry to hear that the sounds from the Embarcadero disrupted your stay—I like to think that this area is considerably quieter than other parts of the city, but noise is unfortunately difficult to avoid in the city. On your next visit to San Francisco, please contact me directly and I will ensure you receive a quiet room.

Dan Burgess
Director of Rooms
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you have made it to this review. Stop searching now and just book a room. There is no where else you should stay in SF. I felt welcome from the second I walked in. Excellent service at every interaction. Well appointed room. Very Comfortable bed and pillows. Top notch restaurant. There is not a better location in downtown. Helpful, smart staff. Sometimes upscale hotels are unnecessarily "stuffy".. This is not the case at Hotel Vitale. You feel comfortable, almost like home. You've heard the expression, "I left my heart in San Francisco".. Well I left half of mine in the city and half in Hotel Vitale. The only negative is that you will inevitably have to turn your key back in. An absolute pleasure. Eat at the restaurant at least once. Go to the Farmers Market across the street on Saturday morning. Ride the F-line. Most importantly.. Stay at Vitale.

• Stayed September 2013
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
ScienceSales:
Thank you for your glowing review, this just made my entire day! It is wonderful to hear that your stay with us was altogether excellent. If Hotel Vitale and Americano were able to capture half of your heart this visit, try Spa Vitale on your next visit to round out your experience. The Bathing Ritual paired with a Warm Bamboo Renewal is sure to capture your whole heart! Thanks again for your thoughtful words and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Francisco.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I don't have anything bad to say about this hotel. I would highly recommend Hotel Vitale to others looking to stay in San Francisco. The hotel is within walking distance to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, plus transportation to Market Street. I was allocated a room with a disabled ensuite which was excellent because the batheroom was extra spacious. The staff were friendly and accommodating. It was a great stay to end my vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
AnaRCV:
Thank you for your kind review—our location is very convenient for getting around the city and it is wonderful that you enjoyed the relaxing stroll along the Embarcadero to Fisherman’s Wharf. That stretch of the waterfront is an especially nice walk if you are able to catch a glimpse of the America’s Cup races! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Vitale and we look forward to welcoming you again on your next vacation to the Bay Area.

Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed here for a two-day trip and it exceeded my expectations. I was able to get a suit pressed for the same day after an early arrival and the concierge was very helpful with restaurant recommendations. Valet parking was simple and efficient, hotel bar had an attentive bartender. Room was clean and amenities were high quality - boutique toiletries and a particularly comfortable bathrobe made from a sort of soft dri-fit material. Location near the Ferry Building was extremely convenient and the reason I chose to stay there in the first place. All in all, a very upscale and professional operation.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
suffolkblueline:
I am gratified to hear that we were able to surpass your expectations. Our team works diligently to ensure that every guest experience is relaxing and revitalizing, so I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the team. Our proximity to the Ferry Building is a favorite among foodies—we actually source the majority of Americano’s fresh, organic produce from local Ferry Building vendors. We hope to see you again next time business brings you to San Francisco.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I just returned from two nights at the Vitale. Looking at the recent reviews, I have to say that the negativity surprises me. I continue to think the hotel is superb. The concierge arranged dinner for me, and steered me toward an athletic club where I could swim. The coffee in the lobby was great, and the breakfast at Americano is consistently good. I also think the rooms are great. I stayed in one of the smaller ones, but it was comfortable, clean and pleasant in the best sense of that word. There's also this -- the hotel is electric at night and it's vibrancy makes walks through the lobby or a drink in the bar feel more interesting than anywhere else I stay on business. It's a very good place -- proximate to everywhere. The staff is exceptional. Do not be dissuaded by folks saying there's been some change for the worse here. It isn't so.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
JMDODNSS:
Thank you for another uplifting review, we always appreciate encouraging feedback. I am glad that you continue to think Vitale is “great” and that our concierge was able to assist in making your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again—perhaps your next stay with us will be for vacation?

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Originally from SF, I stayed here the first month the hotel opened for Bay 2 Breakers. Then twice again before this most recent trip. Though I love the location, this is probably be my last stay at Vitale. I probably should have decided not to stay when I booked and told them I was a repeat guest and they couldn't find me anywhere in their system. Most hotels at least acknowledge a return stay.

Pros: Staff across the board are very kind and really exceptional.

Cons: Restaurant hostess and staff are NOT so good. We ate there several times; the food is good, but the service is problematic. Communication is poor between restaurant staff and hotel and restaurant staff. One day I wanted a cup of coffee at 2:30 PM. The coffee in the lobby was gone and the bar wasn't open. I asked the front desk if there was a way to get a cup and they said yes, they would send one up. (They have coffee in the back as they generously gave me a cup another time). Ten minutes later, room service arrived with a cup of coffee for $16. I said that I wasn't willing to pay $16 for a cup of coffee, and he took it away! Wow, really bad, huh?

The rooms are a bit worn; I saw three before selecting one. None have enough storage; small closets and only ONE drawer.

The room I had booked had a view of the AC equipment of the neighboring building. I chose to pay an upgrade of $30/night to look at a building across the street. Much better, but still very small rooms and few amenities.

Though the hotel seems to need some basic operational and upgrade help, I want to stress that most of the staff was genuinely excellent!

Room Tip: Be sure you get an outside room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
swankyhotels:
I am sorry to hear that your last stay with us did not live up to your previous visits. We pride ourselves on our standards of service and it is disappointing to hear that was not your experience this time. Please contact me directly to further discuss the issues you encountered. That being said, I hope that you will give us another chance to earn back your trust, and I would be more than happy to help with your reservation next time you are visiting San Francisco.

My apologies,
Alex Novo

Been to Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!