“Better every year” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (Financial District)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Weekend Rates from $299
Ranked #31 of 237 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Palo Alto, California
“Better every year”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I need 6 stars for this review! I come to the Hotel Vitale every year when I run the Giant Race at AT&T Park. I arrived last night to the usual gracious welcome...and then at check-in was told I had been upgraded to a panoramic suite for my stay. I feel like weeping ( with joy) at the hotel's kindness and my good fortune--a huge suite with 6 curved windows looking out on the magnificent Bay and Bay Bridge. I could watch the dancing bay bridge lights from my bed last night. Even though the suite was on the 2nd floor the soundproofing is good and I did not notice street noise ( there is a "sleep and sound" player by the bed for those who want soothing sounds at night though). Really this hotel is so very special. I could never be convinced to stay anywhere else in San Francisco. The service is extremely attentive without being intrusive. Like I said: 6 stars!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Patientcat:
You are so kind—I am glad that we were able to make your day with an upgrade and I will absolutely share your six star sentiments with the team. Project Open Hand is a cause worthy of as much energy as possible, so hopefully the suite ensured that you were extra-rested for The Giant Race on Sunday. We look forward to welcoming you back for The Giant Race again next summer—and we’ll try for seven stars!

Warm Regards,
Melony Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Geneva
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

-Hotel is a boutique hotel, without guests from tour travel companies.
-Room very comfortable and quiet, despite facing main street Embarcadero. -From hotel, take walk to Embarcadero to Fisherman's wharf (45min).
-Hotel is opposite to Market Place (Ferry Building), with many small food shops and good places where to eat. Go to Hog's Oyster Bar.
Negatives:
-Parking 50$ per night without any possibility for street parking.
-Bathroom with only shower.
-No coffee inside room, but coffee available in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2013
sushi33:
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us—we are fortunate to be in an area that is convenient for strolling along the water and enjoying the bounties of the Ferry Building and the area. In fact, our chefs do much of the shopping for Americano at the Ferry Building and the Ferry Plaza Farmer’s Market. Some of our rooms do have the rainforest showerheads, but you are always welcome to request a room with a bathtub on your next stay if you prefer.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

Great staff. Vibrant and buzzy bar; as a girl travelling alone the bar staff put me at ease. In room music was great for get ready for the day and night out. Comfortable bed. Brilliant bathroom products. Thought had been put into every element - did not feel like a chain but a unique experience. Only gutted I missed the yoga classes but still felt relaxed throughout my stay......

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Fran G:
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience and the Americano team helped you to feel comfortable during your stay—I will pass your appreciation along to them. Our complimentary yoga classes are a great way to start your day, but if you aren’t able to attend, a visit to Spa Vitale on the eighth floor is fantastic way to relax during your time with us.

Edmond, Oklahoma, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Of course, San Francisco around Embarcadero is so beautiful that you won't! We were in the corner suite with a view of the Bay Bridge. Wow! Large tub in your room from which you can see the bridge. Lots of storage. Right next to one of my favorites: Boulevard. The restaurant had a great breakfast, and drinks on the patio downstairs were terrific. It's near all the ferries, the public transportation and just a mile from the home of the Giants. Can't say enough good things.

Edwardwhiteokc:
Thank you for your kind review. One of our guiding philosophies at Hotel Vitale is “Luxury, Naturally” and I feel the view of the water from the comfort of one of our circular suites is a fantastic manifestation of that. I am glad to hear that you also enjoyed your meals at Americano; you’ll just have to try Spa Vitale to get all three Vitale experiences on your next trip to San Francisco.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you have a chance ask the rooms at the corner (final 0)... you will get the bridge and the square views while you are relaxing reading a book in your in room chaise longue!!!
Very well located , at walking distance to several good restaurants, the Embarcadero, the market, shopping area...
Good breakfast service depending on the staff that is working on each day (some of them are more attentive than others).
on Fridays the happy hour at the outside bar is "the point".

Room Tip: corner room final 0!!
Riguzzi:
I am glad that you enjoyed your room, the corner rooms are quite nice for enjoying the view of the bay or just watching the crowds strolling along the Embarcadero. Breakfast at Americano is one of my favorite ways to start the day, especially with our house made yogurt with house made granola and local wildflower honey. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you next time you are visiting San Francisco.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Beautiful hotel. From the wonderful scents to the soothing colors this is great find to get away from the stress of life. This was the end of our vacation, spending the first 4 nights in the Hollywood/Beverly Hills area and the last 2 nights at the Vitale. What a way to wind down, relax and enjoy the view. We booked an Oceanview room and to our delight were upgraded to an Oceanfront. The view was spectacular of the Bay Bridge and Ferry Station. We stayed on the 7th floor and it was perfect. Room was spacious and quite a large bathroom. Robes and slippers provided and special radio of relaxing sounds. They also provided dvd's to play but unfortunately, I didn't notice until the last day. I wanted to find a luxury hotel that was in walking distance to the AT&T park for the Giants game. We had a wonderful walk (about 20 minutes) to the stadium. The staff was personable, friendly and helpful. We will definitely return to this hotel. I don't think I would have enjoyed as much if we had had a city view. The ocean view makes the difference.

Nancy S:
Thank you for taking the time to write about your relaxing stay with us at Hotel Vitale. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and view of the water and Bay Bridge; it is quite dramatic at night with the Bay Lights installation. We look forward to welcoming you upon your return visit.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

We had never been to San Francisco together and were looking for a hotel that would not have a tiny boxy room and would have a view of the bay. We were lucky enough to find that the lights has just been turned on on the bay bridge and the Hotel Vitale was right across the street. We found the hotel through Trip Advisor.

The view was wonderful. The restaurant was great but the most amazing thing was the staff. We have been in some of the best hotels in the world and no matter how good they are, there are always some staff that makes it clear, they don't care, they hate their job and they don't want to help you. NOT in this hotel. I have never seen a more consistently friendly, caring helpful staff. At first I couldn't believe it. Before we left for SFO, I called ahead to get some flowers and goodies placed in the room for our arrival as we were celebrating a birthday. One call to the most friendly concierge I have ever spoken with I came into the room and found he had selected the perfect treats, wine and flowers. All at a reasonable price. he could have gouged me because i needed it done and we never spoke of price. When we asked the concierge about a car from the airport, he was kind enough to lead me to a site he felt was reliable and a little less expensive than his contract price but would be happy to book it for me if I wanted to avoid the extra booking. Mid-week, we inquired about a car rental, i dropped off our licenses at the desk in the evening and the next day at 8:00 am a car was waiting for us to drive up to Sonoma. Everyone from the doorman to the waitstaff to the maid staff was thoughtful and kind and was happy to help us and make us feel welcome and like it was no trouble. Each night we drink hot water and lemon before bed, it was brought to the room at no charge nightly with a smile and a sincere "good night" by name. The restaurant was busy because it was very good food. We ate room service a few nights and with no trouble at all the chef was kind enough to make dishes that were not on the menu... and they were amazing. The whole concierge staff was remarkable. Each day helping us with trams, buses, restaurant reservations. I know that's what they are supposed to do in theory but the attention, kindness and willingness to make one feel comfortable was beyond what I have ever experienced in any other hotel. When I complemented them and thanked them, they were almost embarrassed, "oh thanks, we are just doing our job". This is a beautiful hotel, great rooms, great location, great food and most of all, really great people. The management of this hotel has it figured out. I truly felt like a welcome guest. Can't wait to go back to this fantastic property. I want to visit another Joie de Vivre hotel and see if they are all run like Hotel Vitale. I really fell in love with San Francisco all over again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Jabouti:
Thank you for such a glowing review, you just made my entire day! At Hotel Vitale our philosophy is that if our team is happy, they will make the guests happy by creating a relaxing and rejuvenating experience. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed Americano— they provide the hotel room service as well and the menu is created with fresh, seasonal ingredients from local producers. I will gladly share your comments with the whole team so that everyone can see how much they are appreciated. We hope to see you again soon—we would be thrilled to welcome you back on your next trip to San Francisco.

Melony Williams

Been to Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!