“Circular Suite - Amazing Views!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #25 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Yountville, California
“Circular Suite - Amazing Views!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Great hotel with terrific service and thoughtful details.
Thank you Charles for the last-minute assistance. The Circular Suite was amazing - terrific views of the Ferry Building, Bay Bridge and the Embarcadero.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Ty A:
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Vitale for your local getaway, and excellent choice of room—the Deluxe Circular Suites are praised for their panoramic views. I am also pleased to hear that our Hotel Assistant Manager Charles was able to assist you. Always feel free to contact anyone on the team, we are eager to help with whatever you may need and look forward on welcoming you back on your next trip to The City.

Melony Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My company booked a week stay at Hotel Vitale through a hotel booking site. When I arrived, quite tired after 14 hours travelling, the front desk staff had no details of the reservation on their system. Even after presenting the booking confirmation email I had to insist several times before they reluctantly checked some paperwork and found the reservation; it had not been entered in their system even though the booking was made almost a week earlier. Not a good first impression.

The room was comfortable enough, and the experience could have been good except the staff seem satisfied to provide the bare minimum level of service that guests will tolerate. I would describe the front desk staff as mechanical rather than genuinely friendly, and they give the impression of being stressed and fatigued.

The Embarcadero location is excellent, and next time I will likely stay at another hotel in the same area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Z3ZENG:
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to hear about the difficulty with your booking site reservation. We do have a very high standard of guest service and I will meet with the team to discuss why that was not a part of your experience. Alternatively, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location; the Embarcadero is quite a beautiful area, and so convenient to get around the city. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to impress you on your next visit to San Francisco, please feel free to contact me directly, I would be happy to assist with your reservation.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great location, easy to get around. Some great help from the concierge, but would recommend that you kept your enquiries to restaurants and general info and not the booking of car hire - as this may result in the worst car hire deal you have ever seen!
Shame about the very poor wardrobe space in the room.

Room Tip: Facing the bay bridge. Especially as it has a light show for the next 2 years.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
matthewshreeve:
I am glad that you enjoyed our location; it is quite simple to get around the city—especially with the many public transportation options so close by. Our preferred town car vendor is reputable, reliable, and provides great service, but they do charge a premium. Rest assured they are competitive with other reputable companies. We welcome feedback regarding the clothing storage space and will take it into consideration for our next room upgrade. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the States.

Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Vitale is top rate from start to finish. For the business traveler visiting the Embarcadero area in San Francisco, it's hard to beat the Vitale. Every staff member is friendly. The rooms are always comfortable and well kept. I also find the Americano restaurant a great choice for a good meal at the end of a long day. The atmosphere is festive, yet comfortable enough that you can sit and work if you need to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Inivium:
Thank you for your kind review, we are quite proud of all of our team members here at Vitale and I will gladly pass along your praise. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed Americano as well; it is always worth a visit to taste our fresh, local ingredients and seasonal menu. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next business trip (or vacation!)

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel confuses me in a way. On the one hand there’s the good location, not great mind you, at least for walking access to the top sites in San Francisco it’s not great, but it is on the one end of the Embarcadero (actually in an area only the brave ventured some 15 years ago). What it does afford is fantastic views, and is for sure part of an up and coming area. But, if you walk a few blocks up Mission you might want to take a cab back once night settles in, I walked it and was fine, but everyone in my group thought I was nuts.

The service is pretty good, but I’d really not call it fantastic. It took a longer time than I’d expect to get the bar tender’s attention, but this place does have a hopping bar and patio that draws people from the neighbor (probably more than the guests of the hotel) well into the night. The rooms are serviced well, and very tidy, with top-notch toiletries. But, since the hotel bills itself as “SF’s only luxury waterfront hotel” it should have turn down service.

The food is for the most part very tasty, if maybe a bit over ambitious, as the final execution isn’t always as good as you prepped your taste buds for. A grilled steak sandwich for example, looked and sounded great, but when the bottom bread is soggy, it ends up being less than what you hoped for. The coffee, from Equator Coffee, is maybe some of the best hotel coffee I’ve ever had though.

The rooms are very nicely laid out, bright, and functional, with comfortable beds and stylish furnishings. The showers have an unusual cutout in the glass to reach through and turn on the water to allow it to get hot without actually stepping in the shower. An interesting feature, I’ve never seen before, though its functionality is somewhat dubious, first because the toilet blocks easy access to the cutout and secondly, because the hole allow water to spray the floor and toilet as you shower.

I had a room facing the Embarcado with fantastic views of the bay and the bridge. But, along with that comes the noise from trucks, busses, motorcycles...etc. I have stayed in hotels with more successful noise supression, airport hotels for example where I didn't even know know there was an airport outside. The point being it's possilbe to do better.

The entrance driveway is frequently blocked, and backed up, making getting to the front door a challenge sometimes, parking is $50 a night (not unusual at all for SF), so consider if that rental car is the best way to get around. The elevator banks are plentiful, and seemed to always be a very short wait, even though the hotel was fully booked.

Overall, I like the Vitale but, for the money often there are even better choices in a city filled with great hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Autobiztravel:
The Embarcadero waterfront location does afford some fantastic bay views and I am glad that you were able to experience them as our guest. Hotel Vitale is right on several public transportation lines, which are convenient to get almost everywhere in the city. We do have a complimentary turndown service—complete with chocolates from local manufacturer Tcho and I apologize you were not offered this service upon check-in. I am disappointed to hear that your lunch was not as you had expected, I will be sure to mention your experience to the kitchen team as we are constantly changing and upgrading the menu seasonally. We would love another chance to impress you, please contact me directly to assist with your reservation should you choose to stay with us again.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've stayed at this property several times and every time I've had to book directly as my travel agent and various online reservation services invariably show no availability. This is not necessarily a bad thing because this allows you to reserve the exact type of room you want and ask specific questions about the floor, view etc. Try to ensure you have a view of the Bay Bridge on a high floor if you're willing to pay a little extra.

The location is fantastic, on the Embarcadero near great restaurants on the waterfront, off Market Street and Union Square and walking distance to much of the financial district. Unless you have a specific reason to be located elsewhere, most visitors will find this ideal. The hotel has a boutique feel to it and while serene in the early morning, there is a funky vibe after work when the bar fills up - especially in the warm season when there is outside seating. The staff is extremely friendly when engaged and they provided me with a temporary room to change following an overnight flight when my (larger) one was not ready. The rooms are clean and well-appointed with an very easy to regulate thermostat (a must have in US hotels). The beds are comfortable enough although I generally prefer more support.

The Americano Restaurant is excellent and service is very efficient early in the morning (fastest breakfasts in SF) although at times the service staff seemed to take a while to warm up. I recommend the wild mushroom scramble for brekkie and the pizzas/pasta for lunch or dinner.

The gym is tiny but for a nominal fee you can get full access to the 55,000 square foot YMCA a few minutes away with state of the art training equipment. Also, unless it is raining heavily outside you should be running along the water instead of on a treadmill.

My only other advice is book early to get a good choice of rooms and a good price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dreddlox:
Thank you for your thorough review, it is useful to receive feedback on so many aspects of your experience. While there are many third-party reservation sites for Hotel Vitale, our in-house reservations team will always have the most updated information on our availability. I am glad that you enjoyed the location and boutique atmosphere of Hotel Vitale, being a smaller property aids us in giving our guests the individualized attention that they deserve. That being said, if you enjoyed the hotel and Americano, be sure to try Spa Vitale on your next visit. The Warm Bamboo Renewal is deeply relaxing after a long run in the fresh air along the Embarcadero waterfront. If you are interested, our day passes to the YMCA one-half block away are actually complimentary, and passes to the nearby Bay Club are available for a nominal fee. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to the West Coast.

Warm Regards,
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

The Vitale is located on Mission Street directly across from the ferry dock. It's a great location, an easy walk or taxi ride to all the downtown attractions. Great restaurants within an easy walk. We stayed in a room looking out at the Bay Bridge and with all the beautiful lights, it's a wonderful vantage spot. Room was clean, hotel has a contemporary vibe; the patio bar was packed with locals, staff were very helpful and attentive. We would definitely return.

Stayed March 2013
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
traveltoujours:
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location, we are very fortunate to be in such a vibrant and convenient area of the city. The Bay Lights are quite inspiring to watch, and the pattern never repeats itself, so you will see something different every time. Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Melony Williams

Been to Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!