“Great location, chic boutique” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Save Saved
You added Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel to your Saves list
Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Mission Street, San Francisco, CA 94105 (Financial District)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #26 of 236 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Great location, chic boutique”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

The Vitale is located on Mission Street directly across from the ferry dock. It's a great location, an easy walk or taxi ride to all the downtown attractions. Great restaurants within an easy walk. We stayed in a room looking out at the Bay Bridge and with all the beautiful lights, it's a wonderful vantage spot. Room was clean, hotel has a contemporary vibe; the patio bar was packed with locals, staff were very helpful and attentive. We would definitely return.

Stayed March 2013
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
traveltoujours:
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our location, we are very fortunate to be in such a vibrant and convenient area of the city. The Bay Lights are quite inspiring to watch, and the pattern never repeats itself, so you will see something different every time. Thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Melony Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Checked in early. Room not quite ready, but quickly was ready. Reception brought me my key 5 min later. I mentioned that I liked the fruit/vegetable water in lobby because it made me think I was on vacation. 20 min later, she had a pitcher of the water delivered to my room. So simple. So awesome. Thank you hotel Vitale for hiring people who care. I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed April 2013
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
tvl20:
Thank you for your thoughtful review. I will gladly mention to the front desk team what an impression they made on you with the flavored water. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Vitale. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to San Francisco.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

You just cannot beat the location in San Francisco. The rooms are bright and cheerful, the service attentive and efficient throughout (reception, valet, restaurant, etc.), and the smallish 24 hour gym equipped with state of the art cardio equipment. The price is reasonable for San Francisco.
Areas for improvement: I stayed on the 2nd floor and the noise from the street was a distraction.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
mojo2014samba:
We are so fortunate to be located in such a beautiful area of the city and I am delighted to be able to share that with our guests. Thank you for your review and I will happily pass along your kind words regarding your experience to the rest of the team.

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Booked off Hotwire for around 180 a night which was the cheapest we could find for San Fran on the weekend in a 4* or up. We had wanted to stay in Union Square but were very happy with the location in the end. Right across from the Ferry Building (market on Saturdays), MUNI station at the doorstep, walk to AT&T park for the game. It was clean, great staff, no complaints. Only issue we had was noise between rooms in the morning due to a very noisy family next door. Roof deck is great too!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Tropigal05:
I am glad that you enjoyed your introduction to the Embarcadero area, and hope that you have now been converted to a frequent visitor! Also, if you like our terraces, you should visit Spa Vitale for a Bathing Ritual in our rooftop garden. It is a great way to decompress and relax while enjoying your own infinity soaking tub.

West Coast, Ooh, Ess, Ahh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The Vitale is a nice hotel. I wanted to like it more than I did. Prior to arrival the concierge was very helpful making dining arrangements and even sprang for an appetizer at one of the restaurants we
visited. The vibe is modern and urban. The room was clean and well furnished, though I found the bed a bit soft (nit) . The missus and I both got massage at the spa and each of our experiences was quite good, hats off to the therapists on staff. We found the bayfront room noisy both from traffic on Embarcadero as well as the outdoor bar below. If selecting a room for a view be sure to ask for rooms 4th floor or higher not so great below. The staff was quite good and professional though we found that less so in the Americano restaurant , the food was ok. If you want an Embarcadero or financial district address this is a good spot. I thought it was nice , not great , but solid.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelVitaleGM, General Manager at Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Nova R:
Thank you for staying with us at Hotel Vitale, I am happy to hear that the concierge was able to assist you with your dining arrangements. One of our guiding philosophies is “Luxury, Naturally” and I am glad that your room and overall experience was in line with it. I do hope that you will give Americano another try on your next visit, we would love another chance to impress you.

Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed in Hotel Vitale on April 12, 2013, for one night. We got a room on the third floor with partial view of the Bay Bridge. The room was very nice and impeccably clean, the cleanest I have seen in SF. Due to some room perfume it had a very nice scent. The minibar war very well equipped and a complimentary bottle of water was delivered to the room in the evening as well as a paper in the morning. The King bed was comfortable and clean.

It would have been perfect, but...when I went to the toilet, my look wandered above and I discovered an incredibly dirty air exit unit. It was unbelievably gross, caked with the dust and lint of years and years....I am sure it has never been cleaned. OK, this is the air exit, so nothing to really worry about, just gross to look at. However the grill of the air conditioner where the air comes in was not very clean either. And that is not a good sign. I therefore called the front desk and complained. We were immediately shown a different and much nicer room, but the vent duct in the bathroom looked exactly the same. The hotel manager then came up and seemed to be genuinely embarassed when I showed him the dirty air exit. As for the air conditioner, he sent up a technician who explained to me that filters were regularly exchanged and even opened the unit to show me the clean filter.

Honestly, I was ready to give the Vitale a very bad review after having seen the dirty airduct. However they were really professional with everything in response to my complaint. They even offered to send something up to the room and I am sure they would also have cleaned the dirty air unit. I did not want them to as then the dust and dirt would really have been in the room’s air (as we are travelling with a 2-year old I am quite concerened about such things).

We went from hotel Vitale to the Grand Hyatt as we had that reservation made in advance. After having stayed in both hotels, I would always prefer the Vitale as it is generally much cleaner and the service is better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Madeleine C:
I am so glad that you enjoyed your room and overall experience here at Hotel Vitale. Thank you for your feedback concerning the air ducts. We will certainly see to it that the issue is addressed. Please contact me directly if you have any further questions or concerns regarding the matter.

Espoo, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

First we booked a room with waterfront-view, but noticed it too loud and restless (2nd floor). We got excellent service and had opportunity to change the room, which was good. The room was well equipped and comfortable. Newspaper every morning on doorhandle was nice bonus. We had only breakfasts in Americano, but found service good as well as breakfast itself. Nearby there was a amazing sushi-restaurant (Ozumo), which is certainly worth visiting! Hotel Vitale is next to Ferry Building where's also Farmers' Market on Saturdays. It's very easy access to downtown by bus or tram, as well as by car to SF international airport.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Uma61091:
Thank you for your kind review and I am glad that we were able to find a room more to you liking. Breakfast is my favorite meal at Americano—the house made granola is not to be missed! Incidentally, the Ferry Building is a prime source for our fresh restaurant ingredients. It is wonderful that you enjoyed your time here and we look forward to having you dine and stay with us again soon.

Melony Williams

Been to Hotel Vitale, a Joie de Vivre hotel? Share your experiences!