“Not Recommended” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Global Village Hostel
374 5th Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 (SoMa)   |
“Not Recommended”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

This hostel is the filthy and disgusting. Roaches, trash, feces, semen, urine and mice, you name it... Showers were broken. Some doors and windows didn't lock.

This was the scariest place I think I've ever stayed. I didn't have anywhere else to go so I had to stay there - but only for one night. The neighborhood is dangerous and scary. The hostel is dirty and filled with junkies. We checked in at 10am and I smelled liquor on his breath. When we checked out the next morning, he couldn't find the receipt for my key ($5 deposit) and I had to threaten to call the cops before he would refund my deposit! Actually threw my money at me!

Screaming fights took place almost all evening. Carpets in the hall were stained, pee-smelling and squishy (yuck!)

Never, never again. I mean, the place is cheap, but just because you are cheap, you don't have to be so dirty and downright disgusting.

• Stayed December 2005

8 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Couples
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2005

I would rather sleep on the cold and wet street of San Francisco than sleep/stay in this dump. Even if you paid me a million dollars, I wouldn't stay here. Do yourself a favor and find accomodations elsewhere. There are far better and even cheaper alternatives.

• Stayed November 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2005

Avoid this place like the plague. It's the filthiest and utterly most disgusting place I've ever seen on Earth. Roaches, trash, and mice are everywhere. Nothing works. Showers, doors, and windows are all broken. There's no even functioning A/C or heat working.

• Stayed May 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2005

I have previously stayed at the Global Village and it really wasn't that great. Being a person that believes in second chances i decided to stay again, this time it was a whole lot better. The hostel is now under new management and has all new staff who are very friendly and helpful. The hostels cleanliness has also improved by 100 percent i would now recommend this hostel for anyone traveling, especailly those on a budget.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2005

I stayed for a week and can't say enough about the staff
the room were average and remodeling was going on
but the staff especially harry potter who actually looks like the movie character was great

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
Twin Cities, MN
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2004

I have been to so many hostels in so many countries in my life but this is quiet possibly, the WORST hostel in the world! No words can actually describe how disgusting and horrible the conditions are in this place. Avoid this place like the plague!

Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2004

This place was awful, it was unclean, the rooms smelled of urine, the doors and windows barely locked and being in the rough area it is I really didnt feel safe, I was literally afraid to go to sleep at night, was originally supposed to stay for 7 nights, but could only handle 2, me and my four friends moved because we couldnt stick it any longer. Definitely wouldnt recommend it to anyone.

Been to Global Village Hostel? Share your experiences!