“Best vegan food outside home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Herbivore -Divisadero St.

Herbivore -Divisadero St.
Cuisines: Vegan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
London, United Kingdom
“Best vegan food outside home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had a week's break in SF and unfortunately did not find this place soon enough. It is fantastic for vegans. I am wheat-intolerant and even so the menu choices for me were phenomenal. How my wife chose from such a long, long menu I just don't know.
We had been to Millennium (good food but expensive, and a little up itself!), then to Greens (crap for vegans), then to this place......what a refreshing change.
Everyone was friendly (even prior to the Giants clean sweep later that evening!).
The food was well cooked and well presented. The plates were groaning. There was so much food (just a starter and a main dish each) that an extra table was pulled over to ours to hold the plates.
I ate a dish of two crispy tacos as a starter (beautiful flavours and just the right heat). This was enough for a meal. Then my main dish of Quinoa cake, greens, mash potato and onion gravy, with a side salad arrived. This was when the extra table arrived!! My wife had arrived intending to eat only a little. She ended up eating my side salad that was large enough for a main meal. Unlike another reviewer here we found the salad wonderfully fresh and we commented as such at the time.
As a desert I managed a single scoop of their vegan ice cream made with coconut milk. This was yummy. It too was huge!
We left happy and contented with a bill of under $50 including taxes. OK, as other reviewers comment, the place is cafe bar style, but none the worse for that. We loved it and determined to return.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Pt Pleasant
“Best meal in the city!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Herbivore last week. He is not a vegetarian but sometimes will give up meat temporarily. Rashid was our server and gave us numerous suggestions. he was very informative and eager to answer questions. My boyfriend hates hummus but I forced him to try it and his eyes lit up saying it was amazing. i had to fight to keep my plate!! I hate the orange chicken and he had a "chicken" burrito. Both were outstanding!!!! Rashid really made the experience special. Any restaurant would be lucky to have him. The cooks even thanked us with smiles on the way out. Thank you Herbivore!!! Great job!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Didn't even realise it was vegetarian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

A chain of restaurants that offer only veggie, gluten free, vegan etc food. Substituting meat for other non meat options. We loved the food, and were surprised how tasty it all was. Definitely recommended. We went to the restaurant on Valencia in The Mission.

Visited July 2012
San Francisco, California
“For vegans who want to eat meat”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

I went to Herbivore for a lunch date with my husband. We knew that it was a vegan restaurant, and thus were surprised to see chicken, beef, butter, etc on the menu. The server anticipated our question and explained that all meat/dairy was made from soy or other vegetable sources. Why this isn't clearly stated on the menu, I'm not sure. The menu did have a very wide selection and we saw many options that looked interesting. We chose the coconut ramen noodle soup, penne with a lemon herb cream sauce, and the orange pepper chicken. In my opinion, when a dish is presented as a vegan version of a meat/dairy dish, it should taste as good or better than its non-vegan standard. In the case of the dishes we chose, they were all overpowered by additives and food substitutes and the portabello with the pasta was barely palatable. Nothing seemed very fresh, even the mixed salad that came with our entrees had a few wilted leaves. There is so much potential for tasty and wholesome vegan dishes, I can't understand how a restaurant billed as 100% vegan can fail to deliver fresh and delicious food. Perhaps this is a good choice for vegans/vegetarians who want to trust that they really will not be served animal products, although I believe that other restaurants are getting better at accommodating specific dietary needs and increasingly offering vegetarian and vegan options. On a positive note, our bill was cheap, we didn't leave hungry, and the service was quick and attentive.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ontario
“Interesting Vegan Fair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We're not vegans and were initially surprised that the Herbivore (we should have known by the name) was. There was beef and chicken dishes on the menu that turned out to be tofu beef and chicken.

None the less we stayed and were glad that we did. Portions were more than adequate for lunch. Staff took good care of us and water glasses were topped up often.

It wasn't cheap, but it was good value.

Visited June 2012