“Great Russian Food” 5 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Russian Renaissance
5241 Geary Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94118-2817 (The Richmond)
(415) 752-8558
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Roseville, California
“Great Russian Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Night before a trip to Mexico we stayed in San Francisco. Because of travel to SF we arrived late and the restaurant was very accommodating with our arrival time. There were 5 guests in our group. Even though we were the last guests in the restaurant we were made comfortable and there was nothing they would not do for us. The food was excellent. The service was fantastic. I am sure it was past their closing time but we were not rushed. I would absolutely go again and recommend the restaurant to friends.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Amazing food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I've dined at the Russian Renaissance on multiple occasions, and they impress me more and more every time. Try the crab salad or the lamb kabob, or even something as simple as fried potatoes and mushrooms - it's out of this world!

Visited March 2012
A TripAdvisor Member
“would visit again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2005

After a 10 year lull, my wife and I started visiting this place again. Gone was the cool bar in the front room, and gone was the charming old man who once ran the place. New owners, and same room and menu. Our first visit, no complanits, this visit was sort of rough aroudn the edges.

It was a Thurs. nite and we were the only customers there. They did not have some of the menu items in stock, such as Golubzi (sp?). I had that at Katias so I wanted to check that out. I was told they would make this for me if I made a reservation two days in advance, so they could order the ingredients.

We had the borsct soup, excellent. But the two appetizers were pelmeni
and some other thing, were a little too seasoned with paprika and rosemary. The sauce was good, but it was better teh last time we visited a few weeks ago.
The entrees, beef stroganoff and steak cossack, were outstanding though. They gave us very ample portions, for about 20 a plate, much more meat than a steakhouse. So that part of it was thumbs up.

If youre the only people in the restaurant, it makes you wonder whats up. It is pricey, we orderd no wine, drinks , coffee or dessert and with tip it was $83. I thought the food was pretty good, and maybe it was a fair night for the cook. We'd go there again, even though it wasnt awesome, but it was alright, and I'll end this by saying they need to remodel and make it into "new russian cuisine"...get some hot waitresses, make some cheaper menu items, and I think the place will be really hoppin....