“great craft beers and good food.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thirsty Bear Brewing Company

Thirsty Bear Brewing Company
661 Howard St, San Francisco, CA 94105 (South Beach)
(415) 974-0905
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Thirsty Bear Brewing Company is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #575 of 4,950 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Tapas
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: South Beach
Cross street: 3rd Street
Transit: New Montgomery Station MUNI & BART
Description: ThirstyBear is the first & only Certified Organic brewery in San Francisco!! Pairing Spanish cuisine of Tapas & Paellas with hand-crafted organic beer, sangria, Spanish & California wines, & full bar with premium spirits. ThirstyBear serves only sustainable harvested seafood; all natural meats free of growth hormones & synthetic additives; and local organic seasonal produce. ThirstyBear recycles all paper, glass, aluminum & plastic. We compost all organic matter; we recycle our cooking oil into biodiesel. Our menu paper is post consumer recyled; our to-go containers are recylable & or compostable. We use energy efficient lighting, heating, cooling & conserve water in the brewery & restaurant. Feel Great about what you eat & drink here!! We're an establishment that cares about your health & our environment!! Support your local Organic Brewery!!
Beachwood, Ohio
“great craft beers and good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was an interesting restaurant. I wouldn't think of a Spanish restaurant when I think of a microbrew, but they make it work.

I almost did not go because of the Spanish/tapas/small plate concept, but it was good. My wife and I shared a few dishes and they were delicious.

I also got a flight of beers so I was able to try them all. They have a great variety of styles. I usually do not like darker/heavier beers, like stouts, but these were really good. I enjoyed all of the varieties on the flight, but liked that some were just tastes.

Would definitely return to sit in the bar to watch a game.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Glad you decided to give us a shot, Jonathan. Until you've had tapas and beer together, you don't realize what a perfect match they make. Hope to see you again soon!

San Francisco, California
“1st time @ Thirsty Bear and unfortunately the last time too”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I live in the neighborhood and have wanted to try Thirsty Bear for some time. It always seems to be busy and was excited to try it and figured it would be good.

We had a pitcher of Sangria, Beet Salad, Empandas and Paella. Sangria was mediocre, empanadas were good, beet salad was bland (even with blue cheese) and the signature spanish dish of Paella was less than mediocre.

Thirsty Bear does not rise to the level of delicious Spanish food as you would hope but more of a mediocre chain-feeling type restaurant with noting outstanding. I just appears to be that type of restaurant.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
I'm sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience with us. Impressing our guests with delicious, authentic tapas is always our goal, and it's clear we missed the mark. That said, I appreciate your constructive criticism and will be sure to share it with the kitchen staff. They're always hungry for feedback, both positive and negative.

Despite your first visit, I hope you'll think about giving us another try, especially if you're a beer drinker. We make some really tasty organic brews, and they just might change your opinion of us.

Del Mar, California
“Nice try but do not bring a group there”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Nice enough place but they have no clue how to do a catered event. No chafing dishes, cold food, ETC.
DO not do a group EVENT there. Might be great for a date. Who knows?

Visited October 2013
Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I have to say, I'm surprised to hear this! We typically hear great feedback on our events, so I'd like to follow up on your concerns. Please contact me ron@thirstybear.com and cc events@thirstybear.com with the best way to get in touch? I'd hate to think that we offered you anything but our best, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best,
Providence, Rhode Island
“great selection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This place has the best liquor selection - especially considering they're better known for their in-house beer brewing.

Visited October 2013
Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thanks for the 5 stars! It's great to hear you're impressed with our liquor selection—we love having guests who appreciate a well-stocked bar. Hope to see you again soon!

Cerritos, California
“Good vibes, good food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

After a long drive from Yosemite and a half day of shopping, we stumbled upon this unique brewpub. In a loft setting with a lively bar, we were happy to be seated in a quieter section. A place that uses locally grown products, serves organic beer, and follows Green standards gets a big thumb-ups up! Which explains the slightly higher prices.

We ordered a couple thirstyburgers, the seafood, chicken, chorizo paella, and a pair of panda and polar beers. Everyone enjoyed the food, drinks AND desserts! Try the rich chocolate mousse or the cinnamon churros w/hot chocolate...worth the indulgence! Just a short walk from Union Square, Thirsty Bear provided just what we wanted....good vibes, good food!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ron S, Owner at Thirsty Bear Brewing Company, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
"Good vibes, good food"—that's exactly the experience we aim to give our customers, it's great to hear you enjoyed everything! The team and I appreciate your support and hope to host you again soon!