“Good food, but some service issues” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
CHA Am Express Thai Food
307 Kearny St, San Francisco, CA 94108-3204 (Chinatown)
(415) 956-8241
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Thai
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Good food, but some service issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The food was delicious...it was just what I needed on a Sunday afternoon when several restaurants were no longer serving lunch. However, there were some issues with the service - possibly because of the language barrier. We ordered an appetizer that we never received (but at least we weren't charged for it either) and we were told they could do special requests (my daughter didn't want some of the vegetables), but those requests weren't honored.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Durango, Colorado
“Americanized Thai food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

First of all, Cha-am Thai restaurant has two locations, one in SF and one in Berkeley. The following review is about the one in Berkeley.
I had been to Cha-am multiple times few years ago and had positive experience about the food. But I went there tonight with the family, the flavor has gotten too "Americanized" even though the dishes sounded Thai. Specifically, all the dishes, from Pad-Thai to curries are too sweet. We ordered a Green Seafood curry and a Penang Beef Curry, both were watery and had very light curry flavor. The deep fried pampolo with spicy sauce was supposed to be the house specialty but the fish was
tough. I hope there are better Thai restaurants in Berkeley.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“My mom went by herself when she came visit and she said she wanted to barf.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2007

My mom went by herself when she came visit and she said she wanted to barf.

Tampa, Florida
“Love It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2006

I'm not a fan of fast food in any way, but this is totally different. CHA AM is a great place to drop in, have a nice bite to eat (healthy) and best of all, it is FRESH and GOOD! They do not take credit / debt cards, but they have an ATM inside. Recommend the Pad Thai with Thai Iced Tea. Not very original, I know, but it is some of the best Pad Thai I have ever tasted. I have been eating there for two years on my three to four trips to San Fran every year. Can't beat it!