“My room was awesome!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel des Arts

You added Hotel des Arts to your Saves list
Hotel des Arts
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   447 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94108 (Financial District)   |
Ranked #134 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
Anchorage, Alaska
“My room was awesome!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Had another wonderful time in The City. I am in the Bay Area often and this was my first time to stay at the Hotel Des Arts. I am in my late 20's, my friend is in his early 30's and this was the perfect hotel for us. The hotel was awesome especially my room (the Jet Martinez room). It was an enchanted space for sure. There wasn't a view of the city but I didn't care. I just gazed at the walls.
The room was clean, the private bathroom had a old school claw bathtub, friendly staff (they were great and they even let me store my birthday cake in the larger fridge because it wouldn't fit in the mini-fridge inside the room), central location, and there is art everywhere!!!! I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it for any traveler wanting something different but still at a reasonable price.
My only critiques would be that there is only one mirror in the room and it is in the main area next to the bed so if someone you are with wants to sleep it is hard for the other person to get ready in the dark (since the room is dark blue you need the bright lights). Also be careful getting in/out of the bathtub. It did not cause a problem for me and I loved the style, but it is a very high step without a handle and I could see people falling or slipping very easily.
Love this place.

Room Tip: Look at the room pictures online, and call the hotel!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed here, and while the first time (in 2006) was great, this time....not so great.

The good: great location, nice staff, free and consistent Wi-Fi, small complimentary breakfast items, clean room, comfy bed, cool art and decor.
The bad: Holy cow, the NOISE! There are no fans or AC in the rooms which would be fine if you could sleep with the windows open. But in such a busy part of the city, any rooms that face outward are subject to very loud noises with no way to muffle it. There was a homeless man screaming his head off in the alleyway outside our room from about 11pm-midnight. Then, around 4am, the garbage collectors came through to empty the literally dozen dumpsters in the alley. It was incredibly loud and took FOREVER. I'm sure they don't do this every night (we stayed on a Thurs night), and it's not the hotel's fault...but they've gotta do something to muffle that noise.

Room Tip: For the love of god, ask for a room that doesn't face the alleyway. Or don't book on trash d...
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at Hotel des Arts in May of this year, our first stop on a six week adventure through the States.

I had come across Hotel des Arts in the Lonely Planet and was intrigued - it seemed like an amazing location, and much, MUCH cheaper than almost any other hotel in the vicinity. I then went on to the hotel website, and was blown away by the photos of the incredible artwork that adorned the walls of each room.

After doing a little more research I went ahead and booked. The online reviews had led me to be a little cautious, with the old adage "if it seems to good to be true, it probably is" running through my head. But, the hotel far exceeded my expectations. Yes, the building is old, yes, the elevator is tiny and almost an antique, and yes, the rooms are tiny, but that was all to be expected. What I didn't expect was a lovely, big, new bed, flat screen TV and a fridge in each room. Of course I expected the art work on the wall, but it was still mind blowing to see it in person - it's such a lovely, unique feature that you simply don't get elsewhere.

The rooms are small, but they have everything you need (and more - many hotels don't have fridges). The breakfast also was perfect - toast and bagels, and some fruit, is all I need when I'm travelling around (instead of those hotels that serve up massive amounts of waffles, pancakes and eggs!). Hotel des Arts is the perfect step between a backpackers and a hotel, and ideal for those (like us) who are on a budget, but want a private room and don't want to sacrifice great location.

Top Tip - Check out the hotel website and the photos of all the rooms. When you book email and include in your email your top 5 favourite rooms, based on the artwork. Also, request a room high up and facing the courtyard to reduce the noise - we did this (based on another reviewers advice!) and asked for the room in our top five that best accommodates these requirements. They accommodated our request perfectly, making for a very quiet stay with artwork that I liked!

[... Aside Tip - if you you're a tourist in San Fran and have the Lonely Planet USA, check out the recommended Walking Tour through Chinatown. It starts from almost precisely outside Hotel des Arts, and will take you on a lovely, information packed wander to the waterfront!]

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed here in April 2012, I would definitely recommend this hotel, it's quirky and trendy, our room was completely spotless, loved the bath tub in the room. Staff were friendly and willing to help with any questions we had. Fab place to stay in San Fran.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel des Arts for three nights in August 2012. The hotel was very nice, clean, and had a friendly and helpful staff. Our room was a nice sized queen bed. The art decoration in our room was interesting and subtle. I saw some pictures online and was worried we might get a room that was a little too much for my taste, but from all the rooms I saw by walking around the halls, they were all nice. I only had two small issues with the hotel. One, it can get a bit loud in the mornings due to other guests walking around and the noise of the city outside. And two, due to the slightly higher than normal temperatures at this time in San Francisco and the lack of an air conditioner, our room was slightly warm at times. I'm sure most times of the year this is not an issue at all and I'm from Texas so I'm use to cranking up the AC about 360 days a year. Neither of these issues would prevent me from staying at Hotel des Arts again.

The hotel was clean, with no sign of bed bugs, which many of the hotels we looked at had been accused of having. This was not one of them. It was also a great location. It is literally right across the street from the gates to Chinatown and easily walking distance to Union Square. I felt safe in the hotel, as well as, walking around the area of the hotel at night. It's only about three blocks from a BART stop which made it super easy to take the BART to and from the airport (which only cost $8.25 versus an airport shuttle which would have been $15 plus a tip). Once you got off the BART, you only had to haul your luggage a few blocks to the hotel. It worked out great.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for those not looking for anything too fancy but looking for an interesting and unique place.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor, which happened to be the room right next to the free breakfast area...
Montréal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Bad beds, old and small stairs. Good service and good light breakfast. We had no problems with noise, it was quiet at the 4th floor. But we had some bites maybe bed bugs..?! Nice paintings and photographies. Excellent location!

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and was towards centre!
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

The hotel is located in the old French quarter just next to China Town. The location is GREAT with many nice restaurants, cafes and bars just a few blocks away.

Our room was clean, and had a comfortable bed, TV and fridge. Since all rooms are different you get a room with a personality unlike many other hotel rooms. Just walking around in the hallways and looking at the art on display is an experience.

We first stayed in a room on the third floor faced toward the centre of the building and later in a room on the first floor facing the alley. The alley room was much more noisy – the room faced towards the centre almost noise free. I also recommend a room a few flights up so you feel comfortable sleeping with the window open during the summer.

The staff is really friendly and helpful – the reception is staffed 24 hours a day so you can always get the help you need. The plumbing is old and the water pressure low. You need some patience in the morning, but all and all it is a really nice hotel with a personality, friendly staff for a great price.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room to get away from the street noise. Check out how the rooms are decorated and m...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel des Arts? Share your experiences!