“Great location, overall good stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel des Arts

You added Hotel des Arts to your Saves list
Hotel des Arts
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   447 Bush St., San Francisco, CA 94108 (Financial District)   |
Ranked #132 of 235 Hotels in San Francisco
British Columbia, Canada
“Great location, overall good stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed for several nights recently and enjoyed this hotel overall. Our room was very small, but clean and functional - comfortable bed, big closet, nice big windows, modern TV. The unique artwork in the rooms and elsewhere in the hotel is interesting and enjoyable. We liked looking at the walls of our room and discovering new details in the artwork over the course of our stay. Our room faced toward the centre of the building, which meant there was almost no noise from the surrounding neighbourhood. However, the building is old and creaky, and with windows open in the summertime, noise from other floors can be an issue (even when fellow guests are being quite quiet). Our bathroom was small, but had a lovely clawfoot tub. The shower, however, was underwhelming - very little water pressure and no fan to help with humidity. The hotel is well situated - right near the entrance to Chinatown, and within easy walking distance of transit, restaurants, laundry, decent little grocery stores, etc. Overall, a solid choice.

Room Tip: Inside rooms (the building has an open area in the centre) have very little street noise, if you don...
Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Nelson, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We just spent 5 days at Hotel Des Arts and had a great trip. The hotel is old with lots of charm, but clean and not shabby like some older hotels are. The location is great and close to transit, or just walking, to almost anywhere. Staff were friendly and helpful. The only complaint was the shower. I am only 5'4" and the shower head wasn't tall enough!! I had to crouch down to wash my hair. Also the water pressure was very very low. Other than that it was a cool funky hotel with lots of charm in a great location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We LOVED our room! We were so excited to see it and discover all of the nuances and hidden gems. The hallway art way eclectic and and well presented. Location, Location, Location. Everything was clean. 2 things to be aware of...1) the elevator doors are heavy, and 2) if you've had a late night, the complimentary breakfast is probably not worth getting out of bed for. Overall, we love sharing the story of or time at Hotel Des Arts and definitely recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Easy walk EVERYWHERE it seemed and close to Bart/muni. I was in town for the SF Marathon. Made several trips to the embarcadero/ferry building for farmer's market and race start/finish- easy and safe. Was so thankful that staff set up breakfast extra early for runners since the race had a 5:30 start time. Front desk and cleaning staff went the extra mile when I used one of my trashcans for dirty laundry and they took it to be thrown away! Ok, stupid of me, but they rumaged around to retrieve it! Clean rooms and loved that I could actually open a hotel room window when things got a little stuffy. I would definitely stay here again- its not for everyone, wouldn't bring my small kids or claustrophic mother, but it was great for me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

Staying in this hotel was a lot of work. From the schlep to the parking garage to the heavy elevator door. The "real" key opens the room door, the key card opens front door, and the parking card-- that's three things to keep up with. My room was cute and funky, but uncomfortable. I left tired.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Omaha, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

I stayed here 6 years ago and it hasn't changed much. That's a good thing! Being somewhat of a street art afficianado I love the concept and work in this hotel. Beyond the awesome art the rooms are neat and clean. They are reasonably priced and the location is outstanding. I was in town for a convention at the Hyatt Regency. Even though my company was paying I decided to stay here instead of the big convention hotel because it was only a 10 minute walk away and it was one third the price. Also the Hyatt charges you for everything - $10 for Internet a day, no free continental breakfast etc. I find that insulting when you're paying over $330 a night. I stayed 3 nights so my company's savings was substantial.

There were a couple of minor things that caused me to hold off a star. One was that after being packed I needed my suit pressed for a black tie event and they did not have a service to handle that. The clerk merely shrugged and said sorry. Luckily I found a great cleaners around the corner and they took care of me. It would have been nice if the hotel knew where the cleaners were near them or better yet had an agreement with them to pick up. The second was the shower head was very low; like chest high. I'm only 5'10". I didn't remember this as a problem the first time around. Maybe it was just the room i recieved. Oh yeah, and the shower head was loose and needed to be screwed on. I did it by hand and it was fine. Minor inconveniences that would not deter me from staying here again.

I ended up my last night in San Francisco staying up the street at the Hotel Des France. The Hotel des Arts was fully booked that night. The rooms are better at the Hotel Des Arts but both hotels have their charms and are solid choices. See my revue off the Hotel Des France if you need another choice.

Room Tip: Spend the time and pick out a room where the art is compelling to you.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This place is a great deal for people who want to be in an excellent location, but are traveling on a budget. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My room was clean and lovely. It was very noisey one night when there was a party outside in the alley at a bar next door, but I was warned by other travelers to bring ear plugs so it was a non issue. Bring ear plugs. Super location for great restaurants, cafes, shopping, cable car access, and the entrance to China town. I hope to stay there again.

Room Tip: I enjoyed room 407.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel des Arts? Share your experiences!