“Awful food” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Allegro Romano

Allegro Romano
1701 Jones St, San Francisco, CA 94109-2110 (Russian Hill)
+1 415-928-4002
Neighborhood: Russian Hill
Redwood City, California
“Awful food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We had a reservation and we left standing in the entrance for 10 minutes waiting for someone to notice us. There was a definite musty odour as we entered the restaurant and we eventually identified it as stale urine. We were finally shown to our table and our water glasses filled. Looking around at the other tables, the food didn't look great. We decide only to order a main dish and leave as quickly as possible. I was studying the menu when suddenly there was a fish next to me with the waiter saying that it was the fish of the day, sea bass. We nodded thank you and he disappeared only to spring up on the other side holding a bowl of uncooked rice with 3 truffles on top. He picked one up as he was reciting the truffle dishes on offer and I could see green mould on the bottom of it. He lost his place in the list of dishes and recited the second half twice. After another 15 minute wait our order was eventually taken and a basket of bread placed on the table. It was unfortunately stale.
The meals came very quickly after we ordered and were overcooked and tasted like they had been reheated in the microwave. My Petto di pollo came with mashed potato, which I didn't think that Italians ate, and wilted spinach which was ok. The glass of Italian wine that I had with the meal was the only high point, it was excellent.
We were then given, we didn't order it, a dish with watermelon and biscotti which was excellent apart from the fake whipped cream in the middle.
We were also given, again not ordered, the worst Tiramisu I have ever tasted. We couldn't finish it. It was accompanied by some of the worst port that I've tasted, it had a nose of old socks and a taste of vinegar.  We eventually paid and got out.

The Americans at the next table we gushing on about how wonderful and authentic everything was and they were right.
It is a cheap Italian restaurant catering for gullible American tourists.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Dallas, Texas
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were recommended this restaurant by a local and were delighted. The staff was knowledgeable about the menu and read our minds before we asked for anything. Truffle risotto was on the special for the night and they offered it as an appetizer or an entree. It was the best that I have ever eaten. Everything that we ordered was fabulous. On a trip I usually don't repeat any restaurant but I am going to this time!

• Visited May 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Fantastic find. Small, intimate neighborhood restaurant with great food and service. The staff and owner were very visible and attentive, without being intrusive. Great Italian wine list and excellent food. We will definitely be back.

• Visited April 2013
Antelope, California
“Best Service Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

We started with wine and the appetizer platter. Excellent food. I had the scallops, which were excellent. At the end we ordered dessert and they added extra desserts for free. Best of all was the service. Glasses were never empty. At the end of the night, the served Port and kept refilling our glasses.

Don't miss the bathroom. Sounds strange, but true.

Visited April 2013
philadelphia
“Excellent Meal -- a highlight of trip to California”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Allegro Romano is an outstanding Italian restaurant. The portions and the prices are very good but most importantly the food is excellent. My scallops and risotto in squid ink was amazing -- a great set of flavors, some unexpected. The carpaccio and caprese salad were also great. My wife's pasta was devoured. In addition, Allegro Romano has a very affordable wine list that includes house red and white. We were too stuffed to try dessert, which is unfortunate, as the list of choices was very tempting. And the service is terrific -- charming waiters who have a great sense of timing. You'll have a great meal. We ate early, at 6:30. I suspect it really gets busy on the weekend, so be sure to get a reservation.

• Visited April 2013