“Sayonara Mifune” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mifune

Mifune
1737 Post Street, Japan Center (Upper Floor of West Mall), San Francisco, CA 94115-3628 (Japantown)
415 922 0337
Neighborhood: Japantown
NYC
“Sayonara Mifune”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Being huge Japanese food fans, my family and I headed for Japantown with high hopes. Sadly, we left this restaurant with our stomachs full and our hopes dashed. The food was bland and quite unappealing. All in all, a big disappointment, as was all of Japantown, which was about as authentically Japanese as Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's. It made us miss our local Japanese haunt in the suburbs of NYC.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Great Noodles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The restaurant is always hot and uncomfortable. Then they bring you a steaming bowl of heaven. Comfort food Japanese style. The wait staff seem to want to be doing something else but that's ok. The dragon roll was fantastic. Real crab, kids, no sea legs. And it's so refreshing the moment the cool air form the mall hits you on the way out... Seriously - it's a great bargain.

Visited June 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
“Who knew Japanese food could be so good?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Japanese food was never my favorite, but my husband and son insisted on trying this cuisine before we left our visit to San Francisco. I am so glad that the guys took me to this delicious place, Mifune.
We dined there at lunchtime and thought the food was incredibly good and a great value.
Wished we lived closer to San Francisco so we could visit Mifune again soon.

Calgary, Canada
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

Ino Sushi was closed, so I looked for a place that offered soba and sushi at a reasonable price. After reading all of the menus, I decided to give Mifune a try.

I wasn't really impressed.

The service was pretty poor: I waited at the door for several minutes before the staff standing right in front of me even noticed; my tea was refilled once and my water never; and the cheque was brought to the table well before I'd taken my last bite.

The restaurant was very hot and stuffy, and pretty cramped.

I had the tempura plate, which had 2 prawns, a slice of sweet potato, a broccoli floret, some onion, zucchini, and I forget what else. The batter wasn't as crispy and was a lot greasier than normal for a good tempura.

I also had the combo lunch, which included cold soba and 5 pieces of nagiri (tuna, salmon, yellowtail, unagi, and shrimp). The slices of fish were very thin and did not look to be the best quality. The fish did not stay properly adhered to the rice. Additionally, the rice itself was pretty plain. The soba was pretty boring and definitely from a box/bag.

Portions and price were great, but the rest was less than stellar.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Great food, we went back twice!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

Great food and authentic Japanese cuisine in Japantown. My mom is Japanese and really wanted good Japanese food. We found it! Great service, we were immediately seated, great food and combo selections, loved it so much we took a cab back into Japantown just to eat here again before we left! Good food and value!

Visited June 2012