“Good but don't rest on Laurels” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scoma's

Scoma's
Pier 47, San Francisco, CA 94133-1004 (Fisherman’s Wharf)
415 771 4383
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Scoma's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #114 of 4,523 Restaurants in San Francisco
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Cross street: Jefferson Street
Transit: Muni - #10, #15, #30, #47 Street Car - F Line Cable Car
Norfolk
“Good but don't rest on Laurels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We undoubtedly had a good meal here but it wasn't cheap. The seafood was best I've tasted so perhaps I should stop here, but will continue as they may want to improve.
Two negatives were the decor which was a bit dated, and trying to get a table which was a real trial. I did feel that the logic on the decor was "why spend money when were full all day". On the booking issue I felt that there was no regret and in fact an element of elitist pride when they advised that they were full (2 days time) but could offer us a table at 4pm. Who wants to eat then except my grandma.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Korean first
Cleveland, Ohio
“Still Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have been coming to SF since the early 90's and always visit Scoma's. After all these years, they still put out a top notch meal. Three of us had the shellfish over pasta while the fourth had the fresh catch of the day. All of us were very satisfied our meal. Additionally, shared a bottle of wine as their prices are reasonable.

Visited September 2013
las vegas
“My Favorite Sea Food Restaurant on the Wharf for 45 yrs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have been going to Scoma's on Fisherman's Wharf for 45 years and it is without any question still my favorite overall. The service is consistently very good with the food fresh and well prepared to your individual liking. Don't be the least bit afraid to make special requests. You will be accommodated. The portions are large. If you are looking for a "cheap" seafood restaurant Scoma's is not for you. Parking is by valet or conveniently arrive by cab. Scoma's has been habit forming! Try the Lazy Man's Cioppino - it is absolutely the best.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Brunswick
“We should have realized”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just home from a lovely first time holiday to San Francisco! We are east coasters from Canada so seafood is what we know and know well! When we were doing our tour ride to Sausalito our guide raved about Scoma's. So we decided we would try Scoma's on the Fisherman's Wharf. Same family owned restaurant. When we walked in to the very dated 60's style restaurant and I do not mean 60's inspired.. I mean wood paneling and chairs from the 60's with waiters who all looked like they started there when they were 30 - 40 years ago. We were seated and were sat at a back room table facing the fish plant and harbor. View was nice and we were very excited about the meal. Our waiter who seemed a bit uninspired brought us some bread and a menu. The prices were higher than several of the other restaurants in the area.. this was ok because we were looking for a great meal. We ended up choosing what in hindsight was the budget meal, the three course meal with options of four for starter, entrée and then dessert. Hubby ordered the chowder, tuna and cheesecake, I ordered chowder (best part of the meal) pasta with shrimp.. (horrible) and a brownie with ice cream (hard and from a box i'm sure).

We ordered one beer and one soda... coffee with dessert. Our bill over 130 US. Our waiter spent more time coming in and out of the "lounge" area where he was obviously watching the 49ers away game as he was reporting scores to other staff. My pasta was a fettuccini, moderate portion with a flimsy, watery cream (Alfredo) sauce.. and "canned sized shrimp".. I am not kidding on this! The shrimp were not even super market sized frozen small shrimp.. these were canners... I could not believe it!!! The scallops were again the type you find in the supermarket frozen at about an inch across then when you cook them they are the size of a pencil eraser. This was my seafood pasta dish.... horrible. My husband ordered the Tuna which was in a fresh tomato seasoning sauce.. he said it was ok. We both agreed my meal was pathetic. Perhaps for those coming from countries, cities where seafood is shipped in and seldom fresh this restaurant would have impressed. Coming from a part of the world where you go out and catch your own Atlantic salmon and bb'q or smoke it at home is common practice this seafood experience left us flat and miserable to pay the large bill. Sorry to be rough but I want others to try the regular menu because the choices coming from the kitchen to others looked much better and appetizing than that of our meal. Time to change up the scenery and do some much needed updating.. the "old" charm is only charming when it is designed to be that way and not because the owners are not interested in investing on modernizing or at the very least redecorating to keep up with the times. Never again for this tourist.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Joaquin Valley California
“Great seafood”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The go to place for locals. Great food. Best clam chowder in SF. Majority of seafood they serve is fresh. If it's not fresh they tell you. Tucked in off of the Wharf area about half a block. Bay views.

• Visited September 2013