“Delicious pasta!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa
353 Columbus Ave., San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)
(415) 989-4917
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mona Lisa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #211 of 5,014 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Neighborhood: North Beach
San Francisco, California
“Delicious pasta!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I highly recommend their Ravioli alla Zucca, especially if you're a huge fan of sweet & savory foods like me. We haven't had a bad meal here before.

Visited June 2012

San Jose, California
“Unexpectedly Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had a reservation next door and ran a little late. The reservation was gone by the time we got there so..... my fiance said lets just try something new... and walked into Mona Lisa. I was hesitant because I hadn't read any reviews or heard from anyone that had been here but... the menu looked good and hey, one bad meal just leads you to another great spot right? Well... we didn't have a bad meal, in fact it was amazing!
Because this was a new place for me I had to go with my "test" dish. I always order the Spaghetti Bolognese at a new place and that's how I judge the entire restaurant. Sounds crazy but it works. We started with the antipasti sampler- AMAZING! Followed by our dinner. We each ordered something different and sampled each others dishes. I couldn't stop eating. My bolognese was so meaty and delicious I couldn't stop. The Spaghetti Carbonara my friend ordered was so yummy and I couldn't decide which I liked more. Then I tried the chicken and my mind was blown! The Cannelloni was equally amazing. To say the least, everyone was impressed and satisfied with our random walk in.
When it comes to Italian- I say judge a book by its cover. Check out the menu, if it is in Italian and everything is broken down into pasta and the sauce its served with... its a go. The menu looked great and the server came to the table with an Italian accent so I knew we were in for a treat... and no reservation! I will come back to Mona Lisa- I think its sort of the hidden gem among all of the touristy spots on Columbus.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Richland, Washington
“A regular spot for us!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Any time we are in San Francisco, we have to stop by Mona Lisa. This time we had Seafood Pasta and Prawn Risotto. 10+ prawns in the risotto was worth it! Cost for two without antipasto was under $100. The bottle of house wine was under $30 and was very good. You are sure to find something on the menu! Tis a little crowded but that is part of the charm. The staff has always been helpful and friendly. The location makes it in the middle between Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square just a few blocks from Chinatown.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing this place can stay in business”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I wanted to have a special dinner on a New Year's Day visit with my brother and sister-in-law and my beau, whom they'd never met. I chose Mona Lisa in the quaint North Beach neighborhood because it looked charming...and was open on New Year's Day. MISTAKE. First the prices were out of this world. No kidding. $140 for 4--no dessert, and only two glasses of table wine. Second, the service was awful: uncordial, unresponsive--we couldn't even get our water glasses refilled. Third, the food was the worst I've had in San Francisco or ANYWHERE. I wanted to send my dish back--it was so salty it was inedible--but I couldn't get the server's attention. He never came back to the table. Do not go there.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Alpharetta, Georgia
“Good value, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Quaint, authentic, delicious restaurant. I did not know what I wanted to eat so I described a dish to our server and they created it perfectly for me. The service was very good and we plan on eating there again on our next trip to SF.
Give it a try; you will enjoy it!

Visited December 2012