“Little Italy Indeed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Firenze By Night

Firenze By Night
1429 Stockton St, San Francisco, CA 94133 (North Beach)
(415) 392-8485
Neighborhood: North Beach
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Little Italy Indeed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stumbled upon this gem by the recommendations of our taxi cab driver. I had researched almost all day to find a good restaruant in the North Beach area that we all would like. I had not seen Firenza on my list, but I am very glad I got frustrated with my research and went with a locals instinct.

This little restaurant had such a warm feeling, everyone was friendly and the atmosphere was great. The food was excellent and even made a few dishes that were not on the menu to accomadate someone in the group that couldn't have a specific ingredient.

I would most certainly go back to Firenze again, just to try and different dish!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

San Francisco, California
“A very good North Beach Italian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I live in North Beach and Firenze is one of my 3 favorite Italian restaurants in the area. The bar pours a nice, strong drink. My poison is Tanqueray and tonic. Always good and strong. The wine list is long and they have a great selection. I have never had a bad meal here. Don't listen to those few tools who have rated it as poor or terrible. They don't have tastebuds. I've taken many friends and family here and everyone of them has commented on the quality and taste of the food. Personally, I only get one appetizer here, the mushrooms stuffed with Italian sausage. It is so good, I don't want anything else. I use the bread to absorb every drop of the delicous sauce it comes in. My favorite dish is the veal saltimbocca. So tender you can cut it with your fork. My second favorite dish is their Lamb shank. It is not on the menu, it is a special they have one or twice a week. It is fall off the bone tender and a large portion served with tasty polenta. I'm normally not a fan of gnocchi but I will eat their Gnocchi Firenze entree. The staff is Italian and helpful with the wines or food choice. My only gripe is the noise level. On a busy night, when everybody is yapping away, it gets loud.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, GA
“Great, Fresh Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

My friend and I went here early on a Sunday evening, so there was no wait. The waiter was prompt and helpful in deciding what we should get. The caprese salad was fresh and flavorful. We split the pasta with tomato cream sauce and shrimp, the pasta was cooked perfectly and the sauce was just the right amount of spice and garlicy, it was delicious. We also split the pork chop special, a pork chop stuffed with artichoke and gorgonzola, the meat was cooked perfectly and seasoned well. The food was all great! The desserts looked wonderful but we were too full, when I go next timeI will save room for the dessert!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Seattle
“Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

A coworker recommended this restaurant. She deserves a big treat. The food was fantastic!!! They brought out a bowl of bread with oil for dipping. I had a mixed green salad and it had good dressing on it and the lettuce was crisp. The main dish was a special, a penne Gorgonzola with sun-dried tomatoes artichokes and chicken. Fantastic!! The sauce was delicious. I thought I couldn't eat anymore but I couldn't resist the desserts. An ice cream cappuccino with melted espresso chocolate in the middle and a hazelnut topping. I would go back just for the ice cream. This restaurant would be worth the wait on any night, I highly recommend. The service was fast and friendly and I thought the prices were reasonable for San Francisco.

Visited August 2013
Northern New Jersey
“would gladly go back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Buzzing doesn't begin to describe it, on a recent Friday night, around 8 p.m. We had a nice glass of Italian wine at the bar and good salads and pasta, very similar to what we would have in Florence. Service was very quick, accurate, professional. I would give four and a half if possible.

Very fair prices -- the wine was pricey, but salad and pasta for two, with a shared dessert and coffee, came in under $70 before tip. Be sure to hit the City Lights bookstore, just around the corner and down the hill, before or after dinner.

Why not five? It was too noisy to converse, and there is no carpet or anything that might deaden the sound. And I didn't think the dishes had quite the complexity of flavor that I might hope to find in Italy -- it would get a 4 in Florence, so I'll give it a 4 here. But we would definitely go back.

Visited August 2013