“Food was very good!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Albona Ristorante Istriano

Albona Ristorante Istriano
545 Francisco St, San Francisco, CA 94133-1803 (North Beach / Telegraph Hill)
415-441-1040
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North Beach / Telegraph Hill
Cross street: Taylor & Mason Sts.
Transit: Last stop of the Powell-Mason Cable Car Line at Taylor and Francisco Sts. (1/2 a block away). No. 30 Bus stops at Columbus Ave. and Francisco St. (1 & 1/2 blocks).
Winter Park, Florida
“Food was very good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Apparently the restaurant owner, Bruno, from Albona in Croatia has sold the restaurant to Samuel Hernandez. I think some of the other reviewers who have complained do not understand the food tradition in that part of the country of Italy and of Croatia. I am sure Bruno gave the new owner all of his recipes so they are in fact traditional from Istria. My mother and I both had the caramelized pears with gorgonzola as an appetizer. And true to the Venice tradition it was sweet and sour or saor in Italian. I then had the Crafi (ravioli) with cheese raisin and pine nuts in a butter sage sauce. It was excellent. My mother had the Stuffed pork and they gave her an entire tenderloin!! Way too much to eat but very good. For dessert we shared a tiramisu which was also very good and a light way to end the meal. There was a nice wine list of local and Italian wines and I ordered a nice bottle of Chianti Classico Riserva 2006. The service was attentive and they left you alone to enjoy your meal and have a nice conversation. Traditional Italian it was not with its heavy red sauces. Different it was. We had a nice dinner!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Tamuning
“Great little Italian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Without reservations, we were apprehensive about being able to eat here. However, we were warmly welcomed and excellently attended to by the fantastic staff at Albona. The food was wonderful and the whole experience memorable and enjoyable. The restaurant has a rich history and the food and menu reflect that heritage. My whole party had high praise and we will definitely return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Very different, Very good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I expected traditional Italian but got something different that was very good. The braised sauerkraut, prosciutto and sausage appetizer was excellent. My wife had the baked pasta and loved it! My rabbit was covered in a delicious brown sauce which I enjoyed. The service was excellent. Our party of four had a wonderfull time. We loved the food and atmosphere!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Very special.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I visited Albona on a recent 3 day stop over in SFC. I was travelling alone and booked online through trip advisor without having any real knowledge of restaurants in the area. I'm so glad I chose Albona. The atmosphere is warm and unpretensious, the staff were friendly and welcoming and went the extra mile for me. I felt valued and spoilt. I had the sardines as a starter which were just delicious and a pasta main which sated my need for authentic comfort food. I left feeling happy that I had struck a little piece of dining gold.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Venezuela
“Good yet below expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Having such a good ranking in Trip Advisor, we went with high expectations to this restaurant.
Best thing we received that night was a spotless service, very caring waiters, ready to satisfy by any possible means.
Nice and warm setting of the small dinning room was also a positive side.
Two of the dishes, the salmon and the lamb chops, were really outstanding and definitively saved the night. Both were cooked and seasoned to perfection.
All of the other dishes, the tomato soup, the gnochis, the raviolis and the stuffed calamari were nothing but ordinary, just like many others one have tried, and completely forgettable.
Based on other reviews you might want to visit Albona. Well, do so if you whish, but lower your expectations a little bit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere