“Family-owned and operated ” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ristorante Franchino

Ristorante Franchino
347 Columbus Ave, San Francisco, CA 94133-3907 (North Beach)
415-982-2157
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: North Beach
Orlando, Florida
“Family-owned and operated ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Great food in a small place. So many places in North Beach but this one is small and family run. The care and attention is awesome. My friend goes there every time he's in San Francisco and the owner takes the time to greet us by name. Had the Porcini ravioli - with a side of meatballs - delicious. Great food, family and atmosphere.

Alameda, California
“My first choice for Italian food in San Francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Tiny restaurant, but excellent family atmosphere. I always take out of town friends here for a taste of the best Italian food.

• Visited November 2013
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Mom and Pop on Columbus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I grew up in " mom-and-pop" businesses, so my love/sympathy/respect for restaurants like Franchinos is just naturally high. This is a true family business: Papa Franchino greets you at the door, Mamma Josephine oversees the menu, and their daughters provide the excellent service. The place is tiny and cozy for those romantic tete-a-tetes; if you dine solo, many tables look out onto the fascinating parade of people on Columbus. Too, the atmosphere is friendly enough that conversations among strangers just naturally occur (I once shared my minestrone with a curious stranger at the next table). The food, including Josephine's homemade minestrone, is uniformly wonderful and quite filling. I always save room, though, for Mamma J's panne cotta--it is the absolute best! Once, on a slow night, Mamma J sat with me and we talked food for a long time--it was like my own personal Food Network show. There are many very fine Italian joints along Columbus; I've tried most of them. But because of its charm and family atmosphere, Franchino's is on my must-go list every time I am in SF.

• Visited June 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Find something else....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

What looked like a true cute little restaurant, was deceiving. The past was swiming in sauce hard to understand because it was a carbonara, the house wine is pretty bad. No much selection on wine by the glass. The service was very nice, but if you are looking for good food this is not the place.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Frisco, Texas, United States
“FANTASTIC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I have no idea how anyone could ever not LOVE this restaurant. My husband and I were in San Francisco with my parents, and we're ALL Italian. We live in Texas, now, so we don't get quality Italian food very often at all unless we cook it ourselves. We found this restaurant after wandering around North Beach and are SO glad we did! The food was delicious, home-y, and plentiful -- comparable to the flavors of my grandma's food! The pasta was obviously home-made and the desserts were made in-house also. I know they stuff their own cannoli because I'm allergic to nuts and was bummed when I saw their cannoli had pistachios. They made us two without pistachios so we could try them, which is so above and beyond. The family was pleasant, had a great chat with my dad about the towns in Italy we're all from, and recommended beautiful wines without up-selling. Prices were reasonable, portions were perfect, and the menu was rich and varied enough to have something for everyone. It was packed both times we went and you can see why -- plus it's clear they have a group of regulars that they treat very well. LOVED. Will go back. Anyone giving a poor review is clearly used to Olive Garden Italian where the flavors are so over the top and the portions are so huge that there's no joy in eating and sharing a long, lovely meal.

• Visited May 2014