“Excellent choice in SF” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Acquerello

Acquerello
1722 Sacramento Street, San Francisco, CA 94109 (Nob Hill)
415 567-5432
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Acquerello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 5,102 Restaurants in San Francisco
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Polk
Transit: Van Ness Avenue is serviced by Muni bus lines 42,47,and 49. California Street. is serviced by the California Cable Car line. Sacramento Street. is serviced by Muni bus line 1. Polk Street. is serviced by Muni bus line 19.
Description: Acquerello, named for its original watercolors, envelops guests in a warm and gracious atmosphere the moment they arrive. A recent renovation of the 22-year old restaurant, led by designer John Wheatman, highlights the former chapel, graced with arches and a rustic wood-beamed vaulted ceiling, with warm Mediterranean colors of gold and terracotta. The 50 seat dining room is softly illuminated with light from polished brass lamps which dances off an extensive collection of crystal decanters and a large floral bouquet greeting guests as they enter. Co-owners Giancarlo Paterlini and Suzette Gresham-Tognetti work together to provide an unparalleled Italian dining experience. Acquerello has received countless awards, including a Michelin star in the first-ever 2007 Bay Area guide.
Portland, OR
“Excellent choice in SF”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

The menu is simple, either 1,2, or 3 out of 3 courses or a tasting menu. The pacing of the service was very good leaving you neither stuffed not starving. I thought the service was quite professional and some of the dishes were remarkable.

I would definitely go back here to eat. One problem for me individually is that I cannot drink alcohol and although this may seem like being a prima donna, I have not had this problem in any other restaurant in which I needed such a noticeable number of substitutions because of even the initial apertif which had vermouth.
The dessert on the tasting menu also had alcohol that had not been cooked off and they generously offered to substitute something from the vaster dessert menu. It was very good but to my dismay I got charged for it. They rectified it right away but it left a slightly off-flavor in my mouth.

The room is very attractive and the staff was kind enough to call a taxi for me when we were done.

Manning, SC
“Now That's A Classy Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2005

My wife and I were in San Francisco to celebrate her birthday. ( We're now both "senior" citizens ) I had done extensive research on the internet to find just the right places to dine the four nights while we were there. I had hopes about Acquerello due to the ratings I had seen on the place. Outside, I wondered if I had goofed due to the surrounding businesses. In a large city, however, that can be deceiving...and it was here. Inside was entirely different ! Elegant would not overdo the decor and general ambience. We were there for early dinner(as we usually do) and it was near serene to enjoy the surroundings...then came the search for wine. We went through three different glasses and the patient waiter asked me to describe what I liked most. I did and he immediately suggested what turned out to be one of the best Moscatos I've ever tried. The dinner proceeded to be absolutely outstanding, the service impeccable and I would go there again and again if I lived there. P.S. Just dont ask me to recommend the best french restaurant there in San Francisco. I flunked out with La Folie...but that is another story. Do try Acquerello and think of pastel water colors as you look around... that's what the name means in Italian, I believe, and it fits their decor. Now that's a classy restaurant for sure !

San Francisco
“Wonderful Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2004

We celebrated our 9th anniversary at Acquerello and had a lovely time. The restaurant has an extensive Italian wine list and equally knowledgeable owner. He guided us to a well priced and delicious bottle of wine. The food is delicious and the service has the right levels of formality and friendliness. I would highly recommend this restaurant.