“Hidden Corner” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Istanbul, Turkey
“Hidden Corner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I have discovered the place by chance since there is no sign or anything out. Small but cosy and some great food. Open till late hours.. good single malt collection..

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Ca
“WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SERVICE & FOOD?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

3 Of us dined at Brazen Head, Wed. night, 3/7/12. We had the worst waitress. She brought me the smallest piece of Prime Rib I was ever served anywhere and it was cold!!! I asked for no garlic on my veggies and would like the carrots and squash, with baked potato. The potato was warm, the squash was missing and the carrots were tasteless, raw and like eating it right out of the fridge. The waitress didn't return for me to send dinner back until my friends were finished theirs. I was given the delicious pepper steak next, excellent, cooked perfectly and superb. The rice was inedible, the carrot returned partially rotten, uncooked, tasteless and still without the squash. The waitress told me my list was so long and she didn't have a paper or pen to write it down. ???? Isn't that HER JOB????? Is it really too hard to remember no garlic, medium rare , carrots & squash without brocolli? The prices were way up from the last visit, also! Took away the specials too! The garlic mashed potatos were overpowered by the garlic and inedible I was told by my friends. The hamburger one had was nothing special. The meatball appetizers and the prime rib sliders , 2 of them, were also good, I was told. By the time my entree was served, I had eaten all the bread from hunger and my friends had a long wait for me to finish. I am soooooooo disappointed and will most likely not return. Higher prices , poor service and cold raw food is unappealing. Also it is too dark , why??? Those tiny dirty lamps on the tables with the BLACK shades all scotch taped together have to go!

• Visited March 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Surf and Turf, Baby!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I have been to Brazen Head irregularly over the past several years, usually to join friends for a drink or two, usually before going to other locations in the Marina (specifically La Barca, but they are closing soon, so who knows after that?). I have been there once before to eat and enjoyed it, so decided to go again.

This time around I went with my friend Tania. We started with the dungeness crab cakes. I must say that I LOVE crab cakes, and these did not disappoint, down to the slightly spicy sauce they included. Of course I wish they were larger for the price, but really, they were incredibly delicious. (And really, the size is fine. I mean, it is an appetizer, right?) We also shared a caesar salad. I wanted to try the baby spinach salad, but Tania wasn't interested, so we went with a classic. If you like caesar salad, you'll enjoy this one. Nothing particularly special, but good.

For our entrees, Tania selected the grilled Pacific salmon filet from the regular menu while I chose the surf and turf from the specials menu. I've never had surf and turf before, and I really wanted to try the lobster.

Tania very much enjoyed her salmon. She said it was cooked well, and the seasoning was just right.

I absolutely loved the surf and turf! Definitely a meal I will try again, even if it's at a different location. Again, of course, I wish there was more to the meal, the lobster tails (2) were on the small side as was the petit filet, but every bite was delicious! Truth is, it was enough food, especially when you've already had appetizers/salad/soup, and know there are veggies on the plate as well. And it's a good thing there *wasn't* more of it, because I would've left over-stuffed. As it was, I was able to enjoy every bite and not feel too full afteward. We in America tend to think the bigger the better. More and more I appreciate when restaurants make our portions smaller and smaller. Yes, of course, we can always take some home, but really, is it ever as good the next day? Not usually. (Doesn't mean I don't still do it, but I don't go out so often that I can't splurge a little each time and fully enjoy the meal that night without worrying about taking leftovers home.)

For dessert I ordered a molten chocolate dish. I didn't know exactly what to expect - it was recommended by my friend, but it wasn't what she had thought it would be. It was delicious, so I really didn't mind that it wasn't what she expected. Even though she's not allowed to have dessert right now (religious fast), she had a taste and said that she also very much enjoyed it. I tried to coax her into having more, but she said no, she was being good. I didn't push it.

The service was good. Not absolutely terrific, but good. I was using a coupon, and as I presented it early, I think there was a tendency to not be as attentive to our table. The waitress wasn't especially friendly, despite the fact that I kept saying thank you and smiling. The reply was more "mmmm hmmm" and no smile than anything.

As a side note, the bartenders (when we friends sit at the bar on non-eating nights) are quite fabulous! Michael and Mia are great behind the bar, very accommodating, and fun to talk with.

If you find yourself in the Marina, definitely one of the places to check out. They serve dinner until, I believe, 1:00 a.m. (Call to confirm, but I think that's accurate.) At any rate, a late-night kitchen. Oh, and it's a very low-key place from the outside. It's one of those places that if you don't know it's there, you won't know it's there. No advertising, no bright lights, very old school, and very nice. It can also be very romantic - dark lighting throughout.

Bon Appetit!

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ca
“THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

It is a tiny place and I mean tiny. A bar more than anything and I don't drink. There was nothing tiny about tasty food, it was enormously delicious!!!!!!! We all loved it!!! The Pepper steak is the signature dish and it was great!!!!! The prime rib , excellent!!!!! The Beef Bourgingnon, (?) phenominal! The meat ball appetizer the best, as were all the sauces !
We loved everything we ordered! We can't wait to go back!

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Brisbane, Australia
“Well i loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

This is such a cool little place. Awesome intimate atmosphere, dark and cosy especially on a cold night. Had a few drinks at the bar while waiting for a table. Loved all the candles and soft lighting. Had the ny steak which was delicious, and tasted my friends chicken marsala that she was raving about. It was soooo good. Probably the best marsala ive tasted. service was great, I would definately take people here on a visit to san francisco.

• Visited July 2011