“A truly memorable dining experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Gary Danko

Restaurant Gary Danko
800 North Point Street, San Francisco, CA 94109-1228 (Fisherman's Wharf)
415-749-2060
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 5,005 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Neighborhood: Fisherman's Wharf
Dallas, TX
“A truly memorable dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting San Francisco for years, and we finally emptied our piggy bank this time to visit Gary Danko for dinner. Luckily I snagged a table on the last night of our recent vacation. All I can say is, if you like food and wine and don't mind paying for the quality and the experience - and it's worth it - book way ahead for dinner at Gary Danko and prepare to enjoy. Hip interior, suave and extremely qualified staff, unpretentious approach to enjoyment of food and the wines that go with it - this place is the "real deal." A multi-course meal presented by the professional waitstaff with necessary information along with the food, and an excellent wine pairing for every course, is the way to go if that's at all your thing. Even if you don't have a chance to book ahead, call the restaurant and get on the wait list for the nights you think you can go. It worked for us!

Visited October 2012

Istanbul, Turkey
“What a dinner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We (group of 6) dined at Gary Danko on October 11, 2012. My late comment is due to our cruise on the Pacific for 28 days (sorry about that).
The welcoming, escorting to the table was perfect. Thanks to my early reservation our table was centrally located so could have a nice and full view of this fine restaurant.
I don't know how to describe the food we had: Excusite, fabulous! You name it. The wine list was very rich and reasonable priced. That was an additional positive thing. I regret not to live nearby which deprives me to dine at Gary Danko frequently. If I visit San Francisco again in the future I will make sure to dine there again. My group shares my views. Thanks for the excelent food and the service. Wished that at the next table to ours wasn't that a little noisy group. But that is also a fact of life.
Regret that the photos I made were erased from my cell phone.
The other complaint I may make is about the gents restrooms. Wish there wouldn't be any need for a waiting line.
Thanks a lot anyway!

• Visited October 2012
San Francisco, California
“Unbelievable food, atmosphere, decor and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I came from Boston to San Francisco to visit some friends and had heard in advance that we were going to quite the excellent restaurant-Gary Danko. I love traveling and food, and of the many fantastic places I have been, Gary Danko's ranks in my top three. A truly excellent restaurant stands out for more than just its quality of food. In my opinion, a great restaurant should be graded on four categories: food, atmosphere, decor, and service. Without a doubt, this restaurant scored top rankings in every category. Let me tell you in advance that it is worth the money to choose the five-course meal (make sure to avoid eating lunch in order to save room) which can be generally described as appetizer, fish, meat, cheese, and dessert. Although the photo is poor quality, the cheese options alone should entice both your imagination and palate. Not only was each course delicious and beautifully prepared, but also appropriately sized; and for the hundred dollar price-tag, completely reasonable. If you are visiting the city and looking for a great overall experience, I highly recommend Gary Danko.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Glad we went.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

A group of 6 of us went to Gary Danko to celebrate mine and my friends' 30th birthdays. I certainly enjoyed my meal and it was a fabulous experience. The service was incredible and my food was great, as well. We each opted for the 4 course meal and I was very pleased with each one of my choices.

We had to wait a little while (about 15 min) before we were seated, which turned out to be in our favor, because we were seated at the best booth in the house- a private, quiet booth in the main area of the restaurant (near the bar). If you can, ask for this booth. It truly is the best seat in the house.

I had the beet and duck prosciutto salad- which was probably the best salad I've ever had. It was worth ordering. Then I had the horseradish crusted salmon in a dill sauce- absolutely delicious. I then had the filet with corn and swiss chard, which was cooked well, and certainly very good, but probably my least favorite of everything I ordered. I had the cheese course instead of dessert. If you like cheese- get the cheese course. It's worth it. There are so many fantastic cheeses to choose from, it's almost overwhelming....

Their wine menu is very extensive and has so many great wines to choose from. Having just come from a few days in Napa, we found a few great wines from some wineries we had just visited (Peju and Turnbull) which were affordable and delicious.

We ended the meal with a free dessert since it was my birthday, a delicious lemon icebox cake and some petite fours. Their tea service was wonderful, as well.

Overall, you can't beat the service at Gary Danko, it's top notch. While, it certainly is pricey ($89 for the four course, $71 for a 3 course, and that's without adding in gratuity or alcohol), it's worth a try at least once for a special occasion like a 30th birthday!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Taby, Sweden
“A birthday surprise to my son that was a success”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My son just celebrated his 40th birthday. He lives in SF and I and the rest of the family lives in Stockholm, Sweden. We wanted to give him a fine dining experience as a birthday gift. By using the reviews from Tripadvisor I picked Gary Danko. By e-mail a table was booked, the menu and wine was selected and my daugter in law was assisting us to make it a surprise. The staff from Gary Dank was very supportive and helpful. Living in Sweden everythin had to be remote controlled. The wellcome drink was Laurent-Perrier Cuvée Rosé. Then it was followed by the 5 course tasting menu with the wine pairing designed. After the dinner my sun called me and was lyric about the service, the food and the wine. This was the best resaturant experience so far in his life. Next time in SF I must bring my wife to visit Gary Danko and get my own experience.