“Spoiled Us, no other restaurant can compare” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Gary Danko

Restaurant Gary Danko
800 North Point Street, San Francisco, CA 94109-1228 (Fisherman’s Wharf)
415-749-2060
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 4,523 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dessert, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fisherman’s Wharf
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
“Spoiled Us, no other restaurant can compare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Whenever we talk about our honeymoon to anyone we somehow end up gushing about this place! It came highly recommended and we really struggled to get a booking which is a testament to just how fantastic this place is. The food was amazing and the staff and our waiter couldn't do enough for us (I think our waiter was called steven). I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I saw the wonderful cheese board. If you splurge only once on your holiday this is the place to do it. We ate at several "quality" Beverly Hills restaurants but they just weren't the same... Gary Danko has spoilt us forever.

Visited June 2011

Palo Alto, California
“Our expectations were a bit too high.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Perhaps we waited too long to dine here... Maybe we should have eaten here before experiencing truly wonderful dining in Europe, New York, Napa Valley, or even, other San Francisco faves. Perhaps we anticipated more from a Michelin rating, and all the other "press" this restaurant has received.
The good news, was starting off with the Endless Summer tequila based cocktail. This was excellent! We really wanted to enjoy settling in, relaxing, and getting reacquainted, but there is a requirement to get your complete order in - and the menu is extensive. So instead of starting the dining experience relaxed, I felt like I needed to get my final exam completed in time. You even have to place your dessert order at this time, "so that the kitchen can plan for the evening". Oh, I thought the experience was intended for the diner, not the kitchen...my mistake.
I started off with the beet salad, which was really tasty, and included little balls of hazelnut encrusted goat cheese. Then moved on to the Crispy farm egg with white polenta and mushrooms. This was indeed unique and mildly tasty. The next dish was the ravioli; I don't remember what it was filled with, and couldn't really tell by tasting. I was more distracted by the difficulty in cutting through the ravioli because it was so tough. I could only gnaw my way through 1 & 1/2 of the 3 raviolis presented. It was really too tough, oily and bland for my taste. Next was the cheese course - which was the best course of the meal. They bring a cart with a variety of options, and we went with the server's recommendation - it was lovely! Too bad I ordered the chocolate souffle for dessert - the restaurant's signature dessert - instead of the cheesecake, which might have been more interesting. Instead, the souffle left me flat. It was brown in color, but other than that, you wouldn't have known it was chocolate. They pour some sauces in the middle, but you can't really taste them either. I've had much better souffles elsewhere.
The wine list is extensive, times two! It's actually more of a book than a "list". I ordered by the glass, while my two dining companions ordered two different bottles of red.
Overall, yes, it was good - but I was looking for great, and yes the service was attentive - each table has a variety of servers, but it's not a relaxing place. It's a small space, and there is constant bustling movement, and the noise level is quite loud. Also, while they don't exactly rush you, they do move things along. By the time we left, there was standing room only in the entry/bar area, mostly people waiting for their tables to open up. You might think that if you drop ~1k$ in a restaurant, you could leisurely enjoy your self.
I wanted this to equal other soul-stirring dining experiences that I have had, and it did not.

• Visited October 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jackson, Mississippi
“One of the best in the country. Don't ever miss an opportunity to eat here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

This must be one of the top dozen or so restaurants in the country. Everything was well done, from the interior/decor, to the service to of course the food.

It is expensive, but if you only travel to San Francisoc occasionally, then I think it's definately worth it to eat here every time.

Location: Nothing special, almost a quite part of town.

Food: Phenominal. They have 3 options (3, 4, or 5 courses). I think the prices were $69, $89, $109, but I could be a bit off. Then you just make your menu. They don't even limit you on one appetizer, one main, one dessert, etc. You can get anything. As this was my first time here, I of course went for the 5 courses.
I had:
Two appetizers - Foie gras (really, really good, highly recomended and a lobster risotto appetizer (excellent, but probably my least favorite of the courses).
Fish course - Bronzino. Perfectly cooked. My favorite of all my courses, truly amazing.
Meat - Pork belly and tenderloin. Pork belly is always amazing and this did not dissapoint.
(Cheese tray) I think it was supposed to count as a course, but we asked if we could add this in, they gladly did. I forget the exact price, but very reasonable. They had 20-30 cheeses, you chose 4-5. All delicious.
Dessert - Treo of creme brulee. Perhaps a bit too sweat, but very well done.

Wine: Excellent selection. Not too many cheap wines, most around $100/bottle, but the mark up seemed less than most restaurants.

Service: Outstanding. They were professional, knew the menu and answered all questions. Very serious, but weren't pretentious at all.

EAT HERE! It's great!

Reservations are a must, try a few months ahead.

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
England
“Great food but not enough space around tables”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

We booked the restaurant for our last night in San Francisco and were really looking forward to a great meal. We were not disappointed with the food (and especially liked the idea of having the option of anything on the menu as either a starter or a main course). I chose bison as a starter and was delighted with it.We must agree with others although the food is good the seating is far too close together. We felt that we were dining with the diners either side of us. We also agree that you get to see and be too close to the waiters rear end when they are serving the other diners.The service we felt was to quick for our liking we almost felt like they wanted you fed and watered and out for the next sitting, not as relaxed a meal as we would have liked.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oxford, Mississippi
“Fantastic Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

Great dinner & in a great location down near the Wharf. The service was wonderful. Be sure to enjoy the cheese cart, some delicious cheeses we had never heard of. I had the risotto and scallops, DELICIOUS! My husband had the filet and really enjoyed it. Great meal!

• Visited July 2011