“Don't be put off by the name of this restaurant - this is a classy experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of House of Prime Rib

House of Prime Rib
1906 Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94109-3008 (Nob Hill)
415-885-4605
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
House of Prime Rib is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #31 of 5,005 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Nob Hill
Cross street: Washington St.
London
“Don't be put off by the name of this restaurant - this is a classy experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

This was one of mine and my husband’s favourite meals during our entire 3.5 week trip in California. I had heard it was a bit of a San Francisco institution and it didn’t disappoint.

I think the name of the restaurant is reminiscent of a low-end chain, but this is far from the case. This is a well-regarded, comfortable restaurant.

I would not advise going if you do not like beef, for really the main point is to enjoy beef in all its glory. You specify how much meat you will have and what temperature you would like (rare for me and medium for hubby – both done to perfection) and most other items are served as standard as part of the meal.

The salad served as a starter is delicious and refreshing. The cornbread is very tasty too albeit a bit too filling before tackling all that wonderful prime rib.

The prime rib itself is wheeled to your table on large trollies and a big slice is cut off for you at your table. Different trollies circulate the room with different temperatures of beef.

I did have quite a lot of fat on my bit of beef, but for no extra charge they will slice you a little more if you still have room.

The service is smooth, friendly and classically professional. The dining room is attractive and comfortable.

I would heartily recommend this restaurant to all lovers of beef. Booking is essential.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Satellite Beach, Florida
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

The food is amazing the service is 4 stars ! You will need a reservation but for a good reason!!! Best Prime Rib i have ever ate in my life ! The salad and home made bread is amazing as well!!!!

Visited June 2013
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
“My Favorite SF Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Best restaurant ever! Fantastic friendly servers, amazing prime rib, and a great atmosphere. Make sure to introduce yourself to "Gus," he has been working the front end for over sixty years. We get to SF once a year and make sure we eat at least once while in town.

Visited July 2013
Raleigh, NC
“Best Dinner ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

OMG you have to eat here!! My two daughters, 11 and 14 and both husband and myself loved this place. The dressing for the salad takes two weeks to make (yes no ranch) and we all loved it. The prime rib cooked right beside your table. My girls shared and there was so much food we were so very full. Out of all our trips this by far is my favorite place to eat!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lake Tahoe, Nevada
“Excellent Prime Rib with Professional Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My annoyance with a 45 minute wait for seating (after an early arrival for my 9pm reservation) soon turned into delight and enjoyment. Greeted by professional waitstaff who readily apologized for the delay, the service was then efficient yet friendly. The prime rib was done perfectly to my "very rare" request. The creamed spinach, Yorkshire pudding, and fresh bread were great accompaniments to the meal. Next time I'll ask for less "special salt/seasoning" on my salad and have the "fully loaded" baked potato "less loaded" (too much of the bacon bits--what a problem to have!) The extensive wine list was greatly clarified by the sommelier who readily responded to my budget-minded concerns. A great evening of delicious food with fine service.

• Visited July 2013