“A good catch in the Castro!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Catch is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #719 of 5,012 Restaurants in San Francisco
Good for: Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Castro & 16th Sts.
Transit: Muni: K,L,M,22,24,15,37
Toronto
“A good catch in the Castro!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

After walking for HOURS starting with the Golden Gate Bridge, then walking down along into Sausalito, it was an exhausting day! Our last full day touring SF had arrived and we still hadn't visited the Castro. I ended up cancelling reservations at an existing restaurant and we decided to visit the Castro on a whim. Just minutes before we left, I googled some restaurants and read about them on tripadvisor. I was trying to find somewhere a little more upscale. We decide on trying Catch. A great choice and I wasn't disappointed. I had the shrimp tempura roll. Was amazing. For my main I had ordered the halibut (Since at Farallon the night before I couldn't decide on the halibut or branzino. I chose branzino...now I had a chance to try some halibut!). It was cooked perfectly and so tender and delish! During our tour of the Castro, we noticed there was a creme brule truck parked a block away. We had decided to try that for our dessert, so we skipped dessert and coffees at Catch. Unfortunately, there was a bus that was approaching our stop an we didn't want to wait another 20 mins, so we skipped out on having the creme brule and hopped back on transit to our hotel. WIll have to come back to the Castro for a creme brule off a truck!! But overall, very satisfied with Catch. Food was great. Ambiance I would say was a 3 out of 5...the front room just seemed to be missing something. But still worth going there. WIll not disappoint!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Annandale, Virginia
“Catch and release”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was invited to a business meeting. A table of 5.

We split appetizers. Grilled Artichokes, Sushi Roll, Mussels and a forth I don't remember. They were all good quality as well as the bread.

The wine list as ok but our host picked out a California Cab that started out good but fell flat on its face by the time the main courses arrived. Oh well.

I ordered
"sauteed blue talapia, caramelized shallots, spinach, crispy potato, lemon caper sauce 23.00"

It was actually very tasty but the serving could have been a little larger. Talapia is not a fish I would normally order by the waitress was really pushing it... her favorite. A friend of mine ordered the prawns and said the they were overcooked and the meal was not good. Another gentleman order the Short Ribs and he barely took 2 bites from it. I didn't ask him what he thought but he seemed very disinterested in the meal. Another person at our table order the stew. That was the last thing I would have ordered. It looked ok but not a dish I would order in late April. He only ate half and said that he was full... I don't believe him because he easily out weighed my by 20 lbs.

No dessert just coffee.

Overall my meal was good. The waiter was helpful and did her job well. The food was prepared in a reasonable amount of time. No complaints there. The décor had a lot to be desired. Not fancy, not comfortable. I could tell was the only person that was happy after the meal but because it was a expense account meal, nobody was vocal about it.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Calabasas
“Seafood near the Castro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

i've been twice. The food was very good. The service was excellent. The dining room is comfortable. The patio looked like a good option as well. We arrived on a Sat night to hear the last tune played by a pianist in a loft(Gershwin). My only criticism is about the fried olives. There is no reason an olive should be fried, why ruin a perfectly good olive?.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Berkeley, CA
“Fantastic seafood near the Castro”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Three of us had lunch - soft-shell crab sandwich, salmon/lettuce/tomato sandwich and clam chowder respectively. Service was impeccable and food excellent. Sitting by the windows is noisy at times but the eye candy well worth it!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tiburon, California
“Good but not outstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

A group of us went for an early pre-movie dinner on a Friday evening. Possibly because we arrive later than planned and we had a time by which we had to leave the meal left me feeling a little dissatisfied. I had the Onion Soup which I thought was excellent, I'm sensitive to too much salt in my food and this definitely passed the test. The crust could have been a little crunchier but otherwise it was one of the better one's I have had recently. For my entree I had the Seared Halibut which I thought was also excellent, served with baby carrots. These were a little bifurcated; some were cooked al dante while others were mushy. The fish itself was excellent, cooked just right and full of flavor. It was served on a bed of Braising Greens a dish I don't mind in small quantities but which I find bitter in the quantity served here. I also had a side dish of Potato Gratin with which I was underwhelmed, too much cheese flavor and not enough potato. Other dishes included Fettuccine, Mixed Grill, Prawns and Seafood Stew. The wine was a Bonny Doon Syrah which at $44 a bottle was adequate but not memorable, not one of Grahm's better wines.

The service was no better than adequate, nothing particularly wrong with it, just nothing special; no flair or umph with it.

With a range of starters (some shared), entree for each person (six of us), a bottle of wine, two glasses of wine, a Manhattan and Irish Coffee plus two regular coffees the cost was $369.18 including tax, 18% tip and $1.75 surcharge for "Healthy San Francisco".

• Visited January 2013