“ABUSIVE and OFFENSIVE SERVICE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sunflower Authentic Vietnamese - CLOSED

Sunflower Authentic Vietnamese
506 Valencia St, San Francisco, CA 94110-1115 (Mission District)
(415) 626-5022
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighborhood: Mission District
Neighborhood: Mission District
Johannesburg, South Africa
“ABUSIVE and OFFENSIVE SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have never been treated so abusively as I was in this restaurant. After being verbally assualted by the waiters for sitting when the last member of our group hadn't yet arrived, but who had given us his order... we just left. The service is abominable. See additional descriptions of similar abuse given to customers at Yelp and "http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/listings/restaurants/venue?vid=230804"

• Visited July 2013

San Francisco, California, United States
“Good and cheap!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

It's important to know that Sunflower is two restaurants in the same locale with the same menu - one with an entrance on 16th, and the other with an entrance on Valencia. They may actually share the same kitchen - I'm not sure.

This is important, because I actually give 5 stars to the 16th St. side, and two stars to the Valencia St. side. Why? Read on...

The 16th St. Sunflower is small (only 5 tables) and shares a room with much of the kitchen. It's warm and bustling, feels homey, and the food is great (especially the Fresh Vegitarian Spring Rolls), and nicely priced. Michael, the host who usually presides, is soft spoken, but totally willing to accommodate you: our favorite dish is the Shaken Beef with added green beans (not on the menu).

The Valencia side has the same menu at the same price, but the similarity ends there. It feels like a suburban strip mall restaurant; it's murky and drab. But the worst part is the service. Firstly, it's kind of indifferent to mildly rude. Secondly, the host will not accommodate requests ("...but Michael from the other side lets us..." "No - not on the menu."). But the kicker (for us) is, they clearly dislike having children in their side of the restaurant. If you have a kid, the service becomes markedly rude and dismissive. We've experienced it bringing our own child on more than one occasion, and seen it with others. Not acceptable. We'll never go to that side again.

So go to the 16th St Sunflower. But please, not when we do - there are so few tables.

Visited November 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“So Good I Went Twice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

On a recent short trip to San Francisco, I was recommended this pleasant restaurant by the staff at Dog Eared Books on Valencia and 19th. I wasn't disappointed. In Ireland we don't have any real Vietnamese restaurant that I know of and so, whenever I come across one, I venture there.
Both of my visits were at lunchtime and I ordered two different plates each time. The first was a sort of mixed plate with a little of everything and it was a taste sensation. The vegetarian spring rolls are clearly a house specialty and for very good reason. The next time, a hot day in the Mission, I ordered the beef salad and horsed it down with a delicious beer.
Although I ate alone, I got chatting to a table of two beside me and that only added to my pleasure.
The staff were very friendly and efficient and the bill didn't hurt much.
Go!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Davis, California
“The only thing I miss about San Francisco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

I am completely addicted to Sunflower's vegetarian fresh spring rolls. I've had Vietnamese food in different parts of the country and the world, and these are by far the best. You have to try them to believe them. Absolutely exquisite. They are the one thing I miss about living in San Francisco!!!

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
SIngapore
“Wonderful and reasonably priced Vietnamese Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

Excellent Vietnamese street food. Try the garlic noodles - its not quite Crustacean standard but its pretty darned close.
The beef Pho is also a great one dish meal; clean beefy broth.

Visited June 2011