“A Disappointment” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Incanto - CLOSED

Incanto
1550 Church St, San Francisco, CA 94131-2048 (Noe Valley)
415-641-4500
Neighborhood: Noe Valley
Napier, New Zealand
“A Disappointment”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

This was the one restaurant I wanted to go to after watching Chris win Top Chef Masters.
We were sadly very disappointed with our experience there. First it was difficult to get there, the lady I spoke to said take the Metro, I did tell her I was on crutches. Very scary going down the escalator while on crutches, just as I was boarding the train the driver shut the doors on me, I spoke to him through the window and said you shut the doors as I was getting on can you open them please? He said too bad you will have to wait for the next train in 15 minutes!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!
When we got to our stop we had another block to walk to get to Incanto's, by this time we were very late.
The menu was a disappointment, we wanted the offal that Chris was famous for but there was none there :-( The food we had left us unsatisfied, where were the great flavours we were expecting? We got a taxi back to our hotel which cost us $18, but it was better than trying to go by the Metro again.
Over all a very expensive and disappointing evening. I knew the food was going to be pricy, $141 for two of us, but would not have minded if the food had lived up to expectations.

Visited February 2014

San Francisco, California
“Inventive, deeply satisfying cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Incanto is one of my most reliable go-to places for great meals. They specialize in parts of the animal you might not normally find at a fancy restaurant. Don't be intimidated by names you don't know or bits you haven't tried; ask and the friendly servers will explain, explore and you will be rewarded. (Sample conversation: "Is that 'blood panna cotta' actually blood orange panna cotta?' 'No. It means what it says. It's made with pork blood.' Utterly delicious and beyond rich, that one was).

The wine list is an education in both the better- and lesser-known wines of Italy, and they offer terrific wine flights and a large selection by the glass and half-glass. A meal at Incanto will reliably give you not only gustatory pleasure but the pleasure of learning, and without any of the pretension of more self-consciously avant-garde places.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“let yourself go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This place it a lesson in loosening up and trying new things. Nothing is what you expect it to be, so you just have to let yourself be surprised. Note that the menu is largely based on pork, and there are a lot of dishes with "strange" (at least for me) things like tongue, bone marrow, snails and such. I do wish there was more of a beef selection, but I actually enjoyed having to try different things.
The only thing I wouldn't recommend is going for the classic, boring, handkerchief pasta ragu - it's not what this place is about.
The atmosphere is very laid back and friendly. Wouldn't go here on business, but it's great for friends and couples.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Nothing on the menu is your every day food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

From hering to duck, squid sauce and stuff I have never heard of before (I am not a culinary expert) that'll make a person like me think "uh oh, will I like any of this". The answer is yes! The food is delectable, perfectly sized portions and delicate yet full of amazing flavors. It is a more expensive dining experience however worth the price if you are up to it. Perfect for a romantic date. Please note that if you are not from this or any other place where parking is scarce, you will be thrown off by the little available space. Oh and you must know how to parallel park :-) and if you decide to go you can now say you went to a place featured on the food network.

“The best meal EVER!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

Fantastic menu, no steaks. Different flavor combinations when eaten together bite after bite is a explosion of flavor, each ingredient complimenting each other from appetizers to desserts, crazy deliciousness! Brilliant!

• Visited January 2014