“Overrated” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Incanto - CLOSED

Incanto
1550 Church St, San Francisco, CA 94131-2048 (Noe Valley)
415-641-4500
Neighborhood: Noe Valley
Rochester, New York
“Overrated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Planned a "foodie trip" to San Francisco for over a year. We made sure to include Incanto on the list of must visit restaurants, primarily because of chef Cosentino's reputation. We were sorely disappointed by the service. The food was ok, but the service was abominable.

Reservations were made a month in advance, confirmed the day before, and we still had to wait nearly 30 minutes to be seated in the middle of the crowded, LOUD restaurant.

My dining companion is vegetarian, I am not. The restaurant's website featured a menu that included several vegetarian options. The night of our visit, there was one unappealing semi-vegetarian dish on the menu, and one salad option. Our entrees were ok, but nothing spectacular, or worth a return trip to the restaurant. Both were under seasoned, and I would have asked for salt if I could have found our server.

Our server was rude, inattentive, and ignored us, while spending extra time with the folks at the next table - refilling their water, asking about the food, if they wanted another glass of wine, etc. We were invisible to her, even though she passed by our table at least 5 times during the course of the meal.

I ordered a side dish with my entree that did not arrive with the meal. The server never checked with us to see how we were doing, or if the meal was to our liking. At the end of the meal, I caught the eye of the manager, who was circulating the dining room, and asked about the side dish. He said it was a "communication error" and that the dish would be out shortly. I told him I didn't want it any longer. A few minutes later, a different server clears our plates, and comes to the table with two plates for my companion and I to share the side dish. I reiterated that I did not want the dish any longer. He said, "but it's ready. Don't you want it?" No, I did not. "We can box it up to take with you. It's not on your bill." No. I already told the manager that I no longer was interested in the side dish. Period.

To be fair, the manager did not charge us for the appetizers or the non-existent side dish. We did speak with him on our way out to gently, but firmly, express our disappointment with the very poor service.

If you don't mind waiting a long time to be seated (even WITH a reservation), or yelling across a small table to have a conversation with your dinner companions, and don't mind poor service, then this is the place for you. If you're looking for a cozy high-end dining experience, look elsewhere.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Spokane, Washington
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Amazing food, cool room good service. decent prices, I felt were excellent for what we were served. Not much for a vegetarian, but if you love great, meaty food, perfect for a fall evening, this is it.

Visited October 2012
Sacramento, California
“A Delicious Adventure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Chris Cosentino is an amazing chef. This restaurant serves the perfect combination of Italian comfort food with innovative style. My husband and I decided to try this restaurant when we saw Chris Cosentino competing on Top Chef Masters. We were not disappointed. We walked in - without reservations - and sat at the bar. The bar is perfect for a light meal - it's just big enough for a few patrons but not so big that the bar becomes a "scene." Anyways - when we sat down, I looked over to the kitchen, and there was Cosentino - actually working in the kitchen!!! I love that this Master Chef actually works in his kitchen. The food - it may be a bit intimidating because it will be parts of the animal you typically don't eat. But a little adventure goes a long way. Everything was delicious. The wine list was approachable and affordable. And the bartender was great. He made solid recommendation that complimented the food perfectly. If I lived in SF - I would be a regular - no doubt!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“I was intriqued then down right scared BUT!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

BUT the waitress was very helpful and the food was absolutely amazing!
DO NOT leave San Fransisco without eating here You will have an amazing dinner and a great story to tell your friends
The night I went with my daughter Andrew Zimmerman from Bizarre Foods was at the Bar/Counter eating..
BUT I promise YOU will find something you can eat and be better for it!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Sooooo Good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We went to Incanto last Saturday when in town for a football game. We had the sweetbreads, tuna heart pasta dish, pork in hay, and panna cotta. The service and food were excellent. I could have licked the plates! We sat by 2 very nice couples......we shared a cab back to the hotel with one of them!
Don't hesitate to go here. This celebrity chef lives up to his reputation. Absolutely delicious!

• Visited September 2012