“Mixed Review” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Sociale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #752 of 5,014 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Locust St./Spruce St.
Transit: MUNI: 1 California, 33 Ashbury, 43 Masonic
Northbrook, Illinois
“Mixed Review”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was taken to this restaurant by locals on a visit to the Bay Area. It knocked my socks off when we walked to the end of a tiny alley off the street and arrived at an Italian street scene. Sitting in the heated patio area felt warm and inviting despite the March chill of the evening.The ambiance, and wait staff were delightful. I could not wait to order from the interesting menu. Here is where the mixed review comes in...it may have been my choices, but I did not enjoy the majority of the food. I loved the polenta fries. Very different and light despite being fried. The squash gnocchi was dry and tastless. The noodles with duck, which is a specialty of the house were dry and dissapointing. Goat cheese cheescake was light and okay, but not spectacular. The espresso was on the cool side. Several of my table mates agreed with me. . A restaurant this expensive and beautiful should not serve mediocre food. I hope we just hit an off night.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“True Romance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This restaurant is one of the hidden jewels of San Francisco. My wife and I have been coming here for our anniversary for 10+ years, and everytime we do, we are reminded of how great it is. If you are looking for a romantic place, this is it.

Hong Kong, China
“Hidden Treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Sociale is a well kept secret in San Francisco. The menu is always very interesting and the dishes are very, very well prepared. My wife and I go as a tradition every year for lunch before Christmas, and every time we are delighted and leave very pleased with the experience. Today I enjoyed the oyster mushroom soup and the wild boar ravioli with saba, then with a persimmon bread pudding for dessert. The mushroom soup was simply the best I have ever tasted. She had beet salad and a stuffed petrale sole. The restaurant also has a very deep wine list, featuring Italian wines, but also with some New World bottles. Service is always friendly and attentive.

• Visited December 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
“I just love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I have been a fan of Sociale since it was recommended to me 12 years ago. Every time I am in San Francisco I feel myself drawn there. Sociale is one of those places that it seems like only locals know about and that never disappoints.

On this visit I took two friends from the Santa Cruz area who had never been before and all of us loved it, as usual. You really have to order the fried olives as an appetizer to share. They are delicious and unique and truly whet your appetite for the rest of the meal.

There seems to have been an expansion of the indoor part of the restaurant that looks like a very nice separate room. If the weather is nice the outdoor dining is positively delightful. Because Sociale has virtually no street frontage and you take a fairly long walk down a very narrow pedestrian alley to actually reach it, the courtyard in front is very protected and intimate. On this occasion we were dogless and ate inside but I have enjoyed dining in the courtyard very much.

There is virtually nothing on the menu I could tell you to avoid. If it sounds good, it is. While this is not a cheap dinner, for the quality of food, room, and service, I think Sociale equals many of the bigger name San Francisco dining spot and will be about half the price. Give it a try and then don't tell anyone else about it.

Visited December 2012
Santa Rosa, California
“Chaotic”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had heard great things about this restaurant but came away very disappointed. The food was terrific, but the overall experience was uncomfortable. We had a table for two along the wall and it was impossible to carry on a conversation. Not only was it noisy, but the waitress (who was extremely friendly) had to attend to the two tables on either side of us and her backside was too close for comfort. We will try again, because as I say the food was wonderful, but we will definitely ask for seating outside.

• Visited October 2012