“Your milage may vary” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Burma Superstar Restaurant

Burma Superstar Restaurant
309 Clement St, San Francisco, CA 94118-2315 (The Richmond)
(415) 387-2147
Neighborhood: The Richmond
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Your milage may vary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

When I arrived I was informed that the wait would be around 10 minutes, which stretched into about 30, but after a few hours of walking through SF I was okay with this. The menu has quite a bit of variety to it and we tried the tea leaf salad and sampled a few entrees. The tea leaf salad was okay, and the entrees were good, but after the reviews I expected some kind of trancendental ascention into a higher spiritual plane after eating here. Unfortunately I realized that, while the food was very decent, in all honesty I don't see what the hype is about.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Hollister, CA
“What a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I had heard about this restaurant for a couple of years and was just waiting to try it. My opportunity came yesterday after visiting the Impressionist exhibition at the Legion of Honor. We went for lunch about 1:30 and did have to wait for about 10 minutes. But there were plenty of interesting people to talk with and tea outside for the patrons. The staff is very warm and welcoming and apologized for the wait. It was worth every moment! I wished there were more than 2 of us because I would have liked to try more dishes. We started out with the famous Tea Leaf Salad. Our server explained each of the ingredients before mixing it for us. It was just wonderful with lots of different textures and flavors. My companion had the pork and pumpkin curry dish which she loved and of course I had to taste. It was delicious. I had the chili lamb off the dinner menu. Our server explained that it could not be made mild (it also says so on the menu)......NOT a problem for me. I love spicy. I was not disappointed. What a unique blend of different spices and garlic. I had it with the coconut rice which was wonderful. I took the rest home and couldn't resist finishing it off for dinner. I will not forget it!!! And we will most certainly be back to try more dishes. Clearly the staff loves what they do and were so good at explaining the cuisine to us. To me it seems like a unique blend of cuisines. I detect a Thai influence along with Chinese and also Indian. If you want to try something very unique and special try the Burma Superstar! It is small, they do not take reservations and parking is typically difficult.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Florence, Italy
“Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We saw this place highly recommended on Tripadvisor, and it didn't disappoint. We went at lunch time. As they do not take bookings, we were lucky to get a seat - it was packed. A friendly guy on the next table helped us choose and as others have already written, the tea salad is amazing. I've never eaten Burmese food before. What a refined cuisine it is. Amazingly complex flavours. Just delicious. It's quite a way out of the city centre, but well worth the shlep!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Burma Superstar in Alamenda, Ca”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We met for lunch with my niece and her husband. we arrived just before the lunch crowd and had a very pleasant meal.

The 2 salads were especially refreshing. Most dishes were priced around $10.00 - $12.00 which is expensive for Asian food. However, I would not hesitate to go back again. If you want to have a tasty and moderately priced meal, this is the place and the cuisine is different enough from Chinese, Thai food.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Napa, California
“it's the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

....this is about the 5th time here/great each time...dinner...it opens at 5 & we are there by 4:30-4:45 to get in right away/all seats fill up within 20 mins...each time found parking right in front/metered til 6p....tea leaf & rainbow salads are the best/each has their own unique/tasty flavors/mixed at the table...this time had a broccoli dish & sesame beef...had other food before...& all are delish. Servers are on the ball. Great atmosphere/upbeat. In the middle of a Chinatown area...go early so you can check out stores before you eat. I HAVE to eat here when I go to SF!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere