“Really one of the best in the country” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #80 of 4,918 restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Bakery, Coffee Shop, Dessert, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dessert
“Really one of the best in the country”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2007

We stopped by this place on a weekday morning while on vacation around 10am. There was no line and everything looked delicious. My husband got the morning roll and the chocolate croissant. I ordered the bread pudding and it was so light and not what I expected - I enjoyed every bite. My husband also loved both of his pastries. We wish we could have eaten there every morning. I was even in a grumpy mood that morning from all the traveling, and the breakfast alone put me in a great mood again!

84% Recommend
san francisco
“Not worth the endless wait”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2007

This place runs out of croissants before 9am in the morning? They could post signs instead of having people wasting their time in line. What kind of business sees nothing wrong in having so many people outside without rethinking their cashier methods?

los Angeles, CA
“Overrated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2007

Based on reviews I read, Tartine seemed to be the best bakery in SF. I am a baker myself, and enjoy sampling what others have to offer.

For few days before my trip to NorCal, I had my heart set on a good scone. I tried many on my trip, and was only slightly impressed with one from a bakery in Sonoma. But I had high hopes for Tartine.

Once we fonally got there, and once we made it through the 20 minute line, I sampled their currant scone (the only kind they had) and find it to be mediocre.

I was also pleased to find that they had croque monsiers on the menu as I was hungry for breakfast. They were good, but not great.

As a matter of fact, the only things that did live up to the hype, was their croissants. Probably the best croissants I've had in my life. However, that is not enough to warrant another visit, definetly not if I had to wait in line.

San Francisco
“the best bakery in the city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

It's simply the best. I go there every day and get a fresh croissant. Try it! You can't go wrong.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Divinely Inspired!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2005

The only requirement for hotels/B&B's for me in San Francisco is that they are close to Tartine!! I absolutely love them. God has come down and personally touched the creators of the goods served here. I cannot say what my favorite is but you gotta try a mocha with whatever other goodies you get.