“Excellent Mexican Food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of SanJalisco Restaurant

SanJalisco Restaurant
901 S Van Ness Ave, San Francisco, CA 94110 (Mission District)
1 (415) 648-8383
Neighborhood: Mission District
Galveston, Texas
“Excellent Mexican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Not much to look at but the food here is terrific. My wife got the El Trio which was fabulous; a combination of chicken flautas in sweet mole, fried tacos filled with homemade potato puree and our delicious vegetarian sopes (great to share!) was more than one human could eat so split this one. I had the Huevos A La Mexicana which was very good but be very careful when eating to watch out for the chilies; these little babies are killers. We will be going back to this place to try and eat our way through the menu if at all possible.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

California
“Awesome Chile Verde!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

After 20 + years, I still think this is the best chile verde in town (it's close between here, Chavas and La Palma) Ask for a runny fried egg on top and flour tortillas.

Shame they still have cruddy rice and beans as sides! Oh well.. makes it lo-Cal. Much better sides to be had just about anywhere.

4 stars because the chile verde really is THAT good.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California, United States
“Best Mexican breakfast in a San Francisco neighborhood of good ones!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I have been eating at this best Mexican moderately priced and authentic, and charmingly decorated breakfast restaurant for 35 years! The food is fresh and colorful, promptly and cheerfully served with traditional Mexican and American choices, including great appetizers like napilitos in cheese casadias and taquitos, and popular drinks like horchata and Mexican hot chocolate which I like to cut with coffee to make a mocca. It's a family owned and operated corner store on South Van Ness Avenue and 20th Street just a block from my Mission District Victorian. Oh, the family home is diagonal from my own! Some evenings, there are roaming mariachis to help you with special meat, chicken, and seafood dishes which are excellent as well!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Denver, Colorado
“Great mexican lunch in the Mission without the wait!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stopped in for a quick lunch by myself on Saturday at noon. First there was no wait for a table which was a plus as I was hungry. This place definitely feels like an authentic mexican restaurant from the moment you step in. I ordered the chile relleno lunch special for $7.95. You start chips and salsa with just the right amount of heat. While I was eating chips and waiting for my meal I checked out the wallart and discovered the space next to my table was adorned with photos of Diego Rivero and Frieda Kahlo. There was a picture of Rivera painting a mural truly captivating. Then the chile relleno arrives with rice and beans and wonderful homemade corn tortillas. The tortillas were the best I've had in a long time. The beans had the deep earthy flavor I associate with epazote. It was all I could do to eat it all but it was far to good to leave unfinished. I can't wait for my next trip to SF so I can eat here again.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Get in my mouth!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I ordered the Huevos Divorciados - two large fried eggs with chile verde & chile Colorado..... More please!! I must have looked like a pig as I thrust the fork filled with yummy goodness into my mouth over and over.... Yes people it was that amazing!! I can not wait to go back and explore the menu and eat my way through it! Hands down the best authentic Mexican food I have ever had!!

Visited July 2013