“After 38 + years, still the best burrito in the world” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #851 of 4,918 restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch
Mill Valley, California
“After 38 + years, still the best burrito in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I first tried La Cumbre burrito's in 1975 (they opened in 1967, but I wasn't in the neighborhood). When I was working in the City we would visit often, but during the last 20 years, I've only been able to occassionally get there, but I never forget them. I finally was able to get back there this week and what can I say, bingo. Still great burritos. I even recognized several of the staff and (now their daughters are there). Can't say enough about La Cumbre. Recognized as one of the best burrito stops anywhere.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

83% Recommend
Evansville, Wisconsin
“Mission burritos as big as a newborn baby”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

First ate here in 1990, and it's still killer. Great food made to order, Aguas Frescas, salsa/condiment bar with lots of sauces to choose from. Definitely try the SHRIMP burritos w/pinto beans. We had steak & shrimp and, while it was very tasty -- the steak was pretty darn chewy, and we wished we had just gone straight shrimp. The neighborhood is flavorful as well -- an unsanctioned hobo dude was going table-to-table playing Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called to Say I Love You" in a mariachi style for quarters, and we watched baseball on the TV while staring at what is purported to be Eddie Van Halen's guitar in a shadowbox in the wall, along with the huge colorful murals. A true Mission experience.

Visited August 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Colourful Place and Atmosphere + OK Food: What's not to Like?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We were in the Mission and when we got hungry we jumped in La Cumbre with no second thoughts. We really, really enjoyed being there.

It is a colourful, bustling place where the menu occupies part of the wall. You are meant to study it, place your order and take it to your table (it's a taqueria!). We wanted to order everything, but at the end settled for pollo en chile verde and halibut burrito, washed with mango and horciata aguafrescas (recommended!).

The food was not the best we have ever had but that's not the point in a place like this. Rather, it was easy, tasty, filling and fun. We loved it here and we really had a good time.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Berlin, Germany
“Good burritos but are they the best?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I went here after seeing this place on Man vs Food. In atmosphere it did not disappoint - exactly what I was looking for in a down to earth Mission burrito house.

This was the first restaurant I went to on my first trip to San Francisco and I loved it. Huge super burrito with barbeque pork that tasted great and I was very pleased.

Great friendly staff and very good value for money.

However I have since had a burrito from the 3rd street grill which was every bit as good if not better so.....perhaps the standard here is just better than I am used to!

Definitely worth trying but the holy grail of burritos? I suspect there are many many good places worth trying in the city which are equally as good.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best hole in the wall burrito place I've ever been to!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

No atmosphere, but it makes up for it with ridiculously good burritos.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere