“Wanted to Stay Longer !” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Stinking Rose is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #361 of 5,005 Restaurants in San Francisco
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Californian, Ice Cream
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Broadway
Transit: Muni Lines: 8BX, 45 and 41
Description: Garlic rules at this world famous North Beach restaurant where dining is an experience for all the senses. Charming private dining areas with unique decor: hanging Chianti bottles, glowing candles, cozy booths and chandeliers. Tureens and sizzling skillets of seafood tantalize and thrill...follow your nose to The Stinking Rose!
california
“Wanted to Stay Longer !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I Had been so excited to try this resturaunt, and i was not let down !! So great ! I love Italian, I love garlic ! All was fantastic ! The appetizer they automatically give you, is amazing, and spicy , delish !!! Then we , four of us, shared the tub of roasted garlic, WOW! Amazing again !
I WILL be going back, we had a concert to go to, so we couldn't linger, but I would have ! I had roasted short ribs, so tender, and delicious.
Can't wait to go back !!!!

• Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
“One try is enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I love garlic and decided to give this restaurant a try. It's not great, just average. I ordered Bagna Calda for appetizer; and Prawns fettucine for main. Both are Ok..but not great. After too many garlics, I felt hot burning sensation in my nose, throat, chest and belly. Whoaa...I think one try is enough for me.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Hinsdale, Illinois
“Don't Let the Name Keep You Away!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by a frequent traveler to S.F. We were walking around Columbus Avenue looking for a lunch spot and found this restaurant. Great oldies music was playing during our visit. We enjoyed some nice wine and relaxed. Our waiter was knowledgeable and funny. The food was good. They are not kidding about the garlic! The ice cream even has garlic in it according to our waiter. A nice lunch spot that gave us "fuel" to continue sightseeing. It's a great location, too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Calgary
“So Garlicy you can still taste it the next day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Food was excellent as was the service. Garlic really is the specialty here and the decor inside the restaurant is ver cool. Would definitely return and recommend if you love garlic.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bristol, UK
“Exactly what it says on the tin.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is a very nice little restaurant in a good location on Columbus Ave about half way between the Financial District and North Beach. It also has a view of Washington Square and is close to Coit Tower for those on a tight schedule. Having read the website (a fairly simple but well-designed site) we booked as we planned to eat on a Sunday night in June, which we feared could be busy. We arrived about an hour before our booking and took a chance, asking if we could be seated early. The staff were more than helpful and gave us a choice of seats.

The restaurant itself is a bit of a maze but this adds to the character and means there are some very private and quiet corners, which the staff are happy to place you in if that's what you're after. The menu had plenty of choice (if you like garlic, obviously), though a few more desserts would have been nice (A much of a garlic fan as I am, garlic ice cream is a bit much). The service was attentive if a little robotic at times. I had the fettuccine and my partner had the meatloaf. All generous portions and plenty of bread to go with the meal. And as promised the garlic flavour was plentiful and hung around for days.

Overall this place is excellent value for the price and delivers on everything it promises. You can even take home a souvenir!